(help) Box will be unusable now!! (RC=-5),

Tiggy

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Could you please help me with my boot problem.

I have recently used (succesfully) FW7020beta3 to add images to both my CF and USBkey with no problems.

My problems began when I tried to upgrade my flash image to the latest (dreambox-image-dm7020-20050912093221.nfi).

I booted holding down the lower left (V) button to get the network id.
I then entered this into my PC browser and uploaded the image and got the following error message after about 21% upload-
too much data (or bad sectors) in partition 3 (end: 02000000, pos: 02000000)
(I keep getting this error with other boot/IP/web uploads of different images.).

I tried with DCC but it will not enable a network>

Itried with Universal dreamup and got the following error message(s)

20:21:34 uploading image
20:50:39 verifying checksum
20:50:47 flashing image

Flash copy failed! result: -5

Flash update finished!! (result -6)
universal dreamup
8:21:52 PM Boxtype: DM7020
8:22:06 PM Ping result: OK, box is alive and speaking to us ;-)
8:22:18 PM Uploading file to box...
8:52:15 PM calculating CRC32 on STB...
8:52:24 PM box is flashing from its memory...
8:52:50 PM ERROR, flash-copy failed (RC=-5), box will be unusable now!!
I have also managed to format the CF card of all images and Backups. !!!!!
As I stand now-
when the box is turned on it loads an image (dvb7020 edition) and then shows that it is trying to load local settings.
Problem is that it does not and stays like that. I have left in this state overnight and still the same.
I can get a telnet connection via PC command prompt, but all it shows is the dreambox ADVANCED SETUP UTILITY.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3585&stc=1
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3586&stc=1

Could you please advise how to remove all settings and enable me to start from a fresh with nothing loaded at all?

Looking about it appears that bad software is perhaps to blame and the NAND(!?) memory is at fault and the box needs to be returned yet again (3rd time).

Can anyone throw me a rope?

I will be eternally greatful.

Thanks.
:-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh!
:-lan2 :-lan2 :-lan2 :-lan2

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Tiggy said:
Could you please help me with my boot problem.

I have recently used (succesfully) FW7020beta3 to add images to both my CF and USBkey with no problems.

My problems began when I tried to upgrade my flash image to the latest (dreambox-image-dm7020-20050912093221.nfi).

I booted holding down the lower left (V) button to get the network id.
I then entered this into my PC browser and uploaded the image and got the following error message after about 21% upload-
too much data (or bad sectors) in partition 3 (end: 02000000, pos: 02000000)
(I keep getting this error with other boot/IP/web uploads of different images.).

I tried with DCC but it will not enable a network>

Itried with Universal dreamup and got the following error message(s)

20:21:34 uploading image
20:50:39 verifying checksum
20:50:47 flashing image

Flash copy failed! result: -5

Flash update finished!! (result -6)
universal dreamup
8:21:52 PM Boxtype: DM7020
8:22:06 PM Ping result: OK, box is alive and speaking to us ;-)
8:22:18 PM Uploading file to box...
8:52:15 PM calculating CRC32 on STB...
8:52:24 PM box is flashing from its memory...
8:52:50 PM ERROR, flash-copy failed (RC=-5), box will be unusable now!!
I have also managed to format the CF card of all images and Backups. !!!!!
As I stand now-
when the box is turned on it loads an image (dvb7020 edition) and then shows that it is trying to load local settings.
Problem is that it does not and stays like that. I have left in this state overnight and still the same.
I can get a telnet connection via PC command prompt, but all it shows is the dreambox ADVANCED SETUP UTILITY.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3585&stc=1
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3586&stc=1

Could you please advise how to remove all settings and enable me to start from a fresh with nothing loaded at all?

Looking about it appears that bad software is perhaps to blame and the NAND(!?) memory is at fault and the box needs to be returned yet again (3rd time).

Can anyone throw me a rope?

I will be eternally greatful.

Thanks.
:-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh!
:-lan2 :-lan2 :-lan2 :-lan2

The only time my box failed to put on an image half way through i got that message, but without the unuse able part. All I used was the null modem cable and put the original image in flash. Then changed it to gemeni when I set the ip addresses in the com set up. But i suppose you have tried that, didnt you.??

Tiggy

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
john_graydon said:
The only time my box failed to put on an image half way through i got that message, but without the unuse able part. All I used was the null modem cable and put the original image in flash. Then changed it to gemeni when I set the ip addresses in the com set up. But i suppose you have tried that, didnt you.??

Thanks John,
Yes numerous times with all of my available dream-ups.
I fear that the Fwpro7020 has left an image on the internal flash and its this that Is interupting the bootup.
I am going to look at other options but at the moment it appears that the box may have to go back once again.
More money for UPS!

Regards
Tiggy.
:-doh!

DCG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm 7000 and 7020
cas 3
blue ice cam
sv card
redlight card