Help choosing new receiver for Cryptoworks (JSTV)

earlneath

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had a Technisat Digibox Cryptoworks (embedded Cryptoworks in it) for 18 months. It's only for watching JSTV on Hotbird 6; I'm not interested in anything else. Once it had to go back to Technisat to be replaced - the receiver went Technisat were really slow but they changed it for me in the end. The unencrpyted channels and unencrypted JSTV NHK broadcasts are fine, good strong signal as before, but recently the box is always saying the cyptoworks card is rejected. Now the remote isn't working. We have contacted JSTV and they say the card is definitely OK and on / unblocked as far as they are concerned; but they can't really help us beyond that.

I am not happy that the Technisat boxes are reliable so I am considering buying a new box. Would forum members concur that Technisat boxes are unreliable? Humax do a CR Fox box with integrated cryptoworks.

My questions to the forum are - is this likely to be reliable? - ie this model and this brand? Are boxes with integrated decoders inherently less reliable or was I just unlucky? Am I better off from a price perspective in buying a box with a CI slot that I can put a cyptoworks module into? The Humax CRFox is £165 at satellitecentre.co.uk - am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks guys!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have to say that I have found the Technisat receivers pretty reliable to date, the Humax range seem to be also reliable.

earlneath

Reaction score
Cheers Rolf. is it worth buying a new remote just so I can call the channel and their engineer can check what it might be? - do the decrypter units just die like this? - the unencrypted stuff is no problem