HELP! Digibox stuck on update screen for 36 hours

R

rob

The title pretty much says it all...

I've had problems with my digibox turning itself off with no apparent reason and going erratic. So I decided to try a forced software update. Bad idea... Now it's stuck on the text message screen saying not to turn it off "for the next 10 minutes"... and it has been like that since yesterday morning!

I tried unplugging the digibox from the mains and plugging it back in after a few minutes, but it goes straight back to the update mode & screen.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME???

Thanks!!

Roberto

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds pretty iffy Rob, you may try disconnecting and holding in the backup button, as if you were initiating a new forced download. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I can't think of anything else. I'm assuning that your signal was fine immediately before the forced download, as they can go wrong if there is no information coming down from the satellite.

Rolf

R

rob

Thanks Rolf. I'm trying another update, but it does not seem to work.

Is there a way to completely reset the digibox?

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not sure whether there is a way to reset the box Rob, what make is it? If its not a software fault, then its likely to be a tuner or power supply fault.

Rolf

R

rob

It's a Grundig.

I was referring to a reset performed by depressing a set of buttons while plugging the unit back in. Something similar to the software update procedure, but to reset the unit (if it exists)...

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
There is a Sky FAQ link below.It mentions about forced software downloads and resetting the box.
Lee

http://skydigitalfaq.cjb.net/

sathelp

Reaction score
Website
www.sathelp.co.uk
If it is stuck on the update screen for that long, then you are not getting a signal. Check that your default transponder is set to 11.778 V 27.5 2/3. If this is OK, then your box is U/S.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Jun-02 AT 08:10 AM (GMT)]Yes Rob, as Sathelp says and I mentioned in an earlier post, that type of freezing can occur when no signal is being received, this will be caused by the dish, or a faulty tuner. Unfortunately you cannot check the default transponder, because you won't be able to get into the service menu.

Would be worth trying your receiver on a known working dish, or another receiver on your dish, just to confirm receipt of a signal.

Rolf

R

rob

Looks like I am #!%&!#!!!

The signal was OK before the update, so I am inclined to outrule a lack of signal. I will try a reset tonight.

I may have to call the folks from customer service...

If you guys have any final suggestion, I am all ears.

Thanks again!

Rob

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
I once had a Amstrad DRX100 that also hung during a forced update with the message telling me not to switch off. In the end I just switched it off at the mains and plugged it back in. The box still worked much to my relief, but it still got stuck when I tried another forced update so I switched it off again at the mains for a few minutes. Once again it worked normally after switching back on.

My conclusion was that there was no software update being transmitted for the particular model when I first tried because the update did work when I tried a few days later.

R

rob

Thank for sharing this experience, Easysat. I unplugged my digibox from the mains this morning, so let's see what it does tonight when I plug it back in. (I tried this before to now avail, but never so long).

My conclusion is that I am now going to have lunch and stop thinking about my faulty digibox and... the French team pathetically leaving Korea with not one single goal!

Rob

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
I don't thing the length of time that the digibox is unplugged is that important. It just needs to be a few seconds (until all the front panel lights go off) so that any charge and volts in the power supply disappear.