Help dumb American with his Coship 5300B?

evilwise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently PC and Coship 5300b
My Location
USA
I just bought a Coship 5300B - They're not very common in the U.S. yet so I'm hoping you english speaking europeans may be able to help me. I read some italian forums on it but didn't get very far. I have to Uptool software, version 2.0 and 3.1 and I have a bin posted to a North American forum that is supposed to support Nagra 2 - The file size of this patch is 2.00 meg.

When I connect the receiver with a straight 9 pin serial cable, I can establish a connection that accurately reports the software and hardware versions (matches the menu on the receiver, once I found my way to the PAL-NTSC switch). I can "Read from STB" and dump a factory_data.txt file but when I try to "Upgrade Software" version 2.0 tells me "Wrong ROM Image. Retry." but 3.1 atttempts to write the image and gives me "Software upgrade error!" after it sits at the "Connection complete..." screen for a while with no progress on the bar.

When I include a null modem adapter (1>4 2>3 3>2 4>6+1 5>5 6>4 7>8 8>7 9>-) in the line, I can't even connect to the receiver to start with. I've read a thread on this forum where a guy's problem was solved by the null modem but it only made my problem worse. The italian(?) forum I discovered where they were discussing this problem had a solution including the following suggestion for pinouts:

----- [snip] (warning, poorly translated foreign language post to follow) -----
*** Attention!!
The seriale cable, in the case that the income of the "door" behind yours decoder is of the type "male", needs you a cable of connection with the connector from a normal part and the other like description that follows:

1 > 5
2 > 4
3 > 3
4 > 2
5 > 1
6 > 9
7 > 8
8 > 7
9 > 6
----- [snip] ----

I'm going to build an adapter like this tomorrow after I spend tonight scouring the forums for more bins for the 5300B. At this point, I don't even care if it's a N.American compatible Nagra 2 one or not - I just want to get any patch written to get past that step. Apparently all Coship recievers are not necessarily set up to use the same data cables? Or perhaps the bin I'm trying to write is just incompatible. Is 2.00 meg the correct file size? Any of you charming Europeans with more experience on this FTA than we do on this side of the pond please help a brother out.

evilwise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
USA
It took me a while to find uptoolb34 to be able to write the 1742_ci_s_050914.bin file to my receiver but when I reset it, it shows the "boot" message then goes dead with a red light. I'm still able to flash it using the b34 software but no matter what I flash it with, when I reset it it behaves the same - "boot" then nothing but a red light. Even when I load a bin that's been verified by other people. Is there any solution to this new problem? I have a 20 pin jtag coming to work on a Pansat but when I looked in the Coship I didn't see any jacks.

evilwise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
USA
Alright, in the ongoing chronicle of my struggle with this receiver labeled "Coship 5300B" I found a bin that brings the device back to life. This bin is called "com_ci5000B.bin" It seems especially strange that this bin works and the bin I downloaded called "5003_1712a.bin" does NOT work despite there being a brisk discussion of the proper use of it attached to it on the forum I downloaded it from. Is it possible that my receiver isn't actually a 5300 inside? Does anyone know what model receiver the "com_ci500B.bin" file is designed for? Once I got it into NTSC, it appears to be in an arabic language of some kind. I think I'll keep searching for more and more bins for now but if anyone can give me any helpful advice, point me in the right direction please!

tamazgha2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
tamazgha
try this here

http://www.croteam-sat.org/aploud/index.php?&direction=0&order=mod&directory=OTHER%20RECIEVERS%20(100%20Models%20Receivers)/COSHIP%20RECEIVERS

tamazgha2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
tamazgha
for boot 39.02

http://65.75.149.180/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=COSHIP BOOT SAS24.zip&directory=RECEIVER SOFTWARE/COSHIP&PHPSESSID=edd649f5f02eb5e5d6c4f431336d72c2&PHPSESSID=edd649f5f02eb5e5d6c4f431336d72c2