Help for a total Novice

Gizmo2000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Don't know the form for posting on here as this is my first post but here goes. I have just had my first Multi sat installed. It comes with embedded Viacess and connex cams and room for two more.

I am now looking to obtain a card for viewing channels like Canal plus and some of the others that have the footie on. I am a total novice so haven't a clue what card(s) i need or how to programme them. I used to have a D2mac decoder pointing at Thor where to update the card after a code change i just entered the new code i found on the net using the remote control. My questions are :

1) What card would i need to get for watching channels like Canal plus and the channels that carry the footie (art, futball total etc) ?

2) What are the differance between Pic cards, gold cards, fun cards?

3) How often do canal Plus and the others change their codes?

4) I am assuming a programmer is for re progamming a card to start off with and after a code change, what type of programmer would be best for a total novice like me?

Now i understand there are plenty of questions there and probably pretty dumb ones as well but everyone has to start somewhere so any help would be gratefully appreciated, even a link to another site where i could get all the info i need would be a help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome Gizmo, yep, a lot of questions. :) Most of them have been answered in one way shape or form fairly recently, but you need to know where to look.

You need to say exactly what your equipment is and whether it is motorised, or multi LNB, we can then point you in the right direction for satellite information.

There is a link in Nobbly's big links forum for football channel information, some of them are not watchable though, as they are encrypted in (at present) unhacked forms.

Programmer wise, the elvis is cheap, popular and easy to use, but you may need to look at a season interface and emulation software for conax on 1 west.

Codes on certain platforms can change every night.

there is a search function at the top of every page which may aid you, it probably won't answer every question, but will possibly tell you the right questions to ask.

Happy hunting. :)

Gizmo2000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Thanx for the reply.

Right i have had a motorised system installed. I don't know too much about it as i am not very technicaly minded but the receiver is a force D-master and the motor is a Stab.

I only really went into motorised because i was fed up of paying Sky £38 every month. I am really only looking to pick up some channels with movies on and some footie. The two i know of that i can get footie are Art and Futball Total but not sure of what type of cards i would need or wether they can be obtained for those channels.

Gizmo2000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Superb web site link mate, just what i was looking for. All's i need now is to sort myself out with a card and another cam and i'll be well happy. :)