help for viewing channel 5

tellboy75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan 6900 + 80cm Channel master Dish big sat digital Ku-Band LNBF universal Mono Block
My Location
Northamptonshire
I decided to have a satellite because the Netgem top box I bought for digital television kept breaking up when viewing channel 5, BBC was ok

I have also purchased a Satellite Finder Kit PG-753 which I aligned the dish using batteries

My problem What satellite should I be pointing my dish at to receive all the FTA channels
If I need to buy a card which card should I go for

on the channels I have got, the signal strength is 85% is this considered good ?

Although I have set it up myself help would be appreciated

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You want the Astra 2 cluster at 28E. If you want C5, then you need a Sky digibox and a 20 quid freesat card (there are other options available, but tbh these are not for complete beginners.)

Edit. The 80cm dish will be fine.

alay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5300
88 motor dish
Analoguesat said:
You want the Astra 2 cluster at 28E. If you want C5, then you need a Sky digibox and a 20 quid freesat card (there are other options available, but tbh these are not for complete beginners.)

Edit. The 80cm dish will be fine.

What r the other options for channel 5 ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
One of the other options is a Dragon CAM and a freesat card, but you need a card that has been activated.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STBs = Ultimo4K, VUDUO2, VuSolo2, Alien2, AzBox HD Elite, ET8000:
Dishes = 180cm PF, 80cm offset, 60cm offset, Sky mini:
LNBs c120 for PF dish = Ku-Band White Smart Titanium (modified to c120)
and for C-Band Titanium C1W-PLL
My Location
UK
Another option would be a Dreambox and an internet connection and some friends. This would get you a lot of other channels aswell. I do not want to be too explicit. You will have to use your imagination or do a search to investigate this further.

jacko

Reaction score
i see ch 5 is also being transmitted on
15 west and 27.5 west.anybody know anything
about ras encryption?,any possible hacks?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not as far as I know.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
you could also buy one of them terrestrial freeview boxes,that would bring in channel5 and a few other channels.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
tellboy75 said:
I decided to have a satellite because the Netgem top box I bought for digital television kept breaking up when viewing channel 5, BBC was ok

I have just tried moving a freeview box into kids' bedroom (as their analogue picture wasn't great). Using their existing indoor aerial I found that the picture was breaking up. Sly sports news was just about watchable, Beeb channels were the weakest for me - hardly receivable. Tried a booster, and was quite surprised how much difference the amplification made. They can now receive everything without any break-up or freezing.

May be worth a try :).

Yorks :-newb

H

Happy-Buddah

@tellboy75
I put up a Triax, Unix100 wideband antenna in my brothers attic in Northampton (not allowed outside aerials). I was ready to use a booster next to the aerial, but useing an Asda Pacific box all muxes come in nice and strong. Sandy Heath is pushing out 20kW on all muxes, perhaps you need an aerial upgrade. Digital TV from Sandy is on different frequencies to Analogue TV. A group "A" aerial for Analogue and group "E" for digital. Best to get a wideband one in case of frequency changes in the future. Or of course you could try, as Yorks mentioned, a booster with your existing set up.
With satellite TV the bigger the dish the better signal received and the same goes with terrestrial TV. Nice big antenna to cover the frequency required, new length of double screened co-ax, less than £50, all sorted.
H-B

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
rolfw said:
One of the other options is a Dragon CAM and a freesat card, but you need a card that has been activated.

Hi Rolf,

Are you saying that if I go out and buy a Dragon Cam (version 4.01 available to me) then I can stick it into my CI receiver and watch ITV1 etc? Would I also need to buy the "Loader card" as well. I did read that you need to enter the sky boxes serial into the dragon, my card isn't married to the box, is this a problem?

cheers

chris

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
cjgall said:
Hi Rolf,

Are you saying that if I go out and buy a Dragon Cam (version 4.01 available to me) then I can stick it into my CI receiver and watch ITV1 etc? Would I also need to buy the "Loader card" as well. I did read that you need to enter the sky boxes serial into the dragon, my card isn't married to the box, is this a problem?

cheers

chris

Yes you will be able to use your card in the dragon cam. it doesnt matter about your card married to a certain box as I have a ftv card in the dreambox married to another receiver. Just enter any 8 digit serial no beginning with 00 I think. Not sure about loader cards for it as I dont have a dragon, but i would say you would probally need one to programme it.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
john_graydon said:
Yes you will be able to use your card in the dragon cam. it doesnt matter about your card married to a certain box as I have a ftv card in the dreambox married to another receiver. Just enter any 8 digit serial no beginning with 00 I think. Not sure about loader cards for it as I dont have a dragon, but i would say you would probally need one to programme it.
Thanks John, I have to date avoided multicrypt/ucas cams so don't know anything about them. If there is anybody with a dragon that could point me in the right direction...

Detlef

Reaction score
My Location
Bonn, Ostend
The Dragon guys have done a great job but I suspect the Isleworth control freaks are trying to combat it at this very moment. A second hand Digibox on 3bay would be a better long-term bet.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
I agree that a second hand digibox is best long term. On the other hand a dragon to add to the CI box that goes with me on holiday would benefit, not to mention the topfield PVR for sky+ functionality. My only concern at the moment is that I have read mixed reports about the Aston Wamba supporting the dragon, in the worst cases it doesn't work in the best cases it works but doesn't update the smart card subscription. This brings me to my next question, how often do sky update the subscription keys for freesat and how long do they last. Canal digitaal for instance do the update every month and the keys last for two months so if you miss an update (when travelling for instance) then its not usually a problem.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STBs = Ultimo4K, VUDUO2, VuSolo2, Alien2, AzBox HD Elite, ET8000:
Dishes = 180cm PF, 80cm offset, 60cm offset, Sky mini:
LNBs c120 for PF dish = Ku-Band White Smart Titanium (modified to c120)
and for C-Band Titanium C1W-PLL
My Location
UK
The current tiers on my freesat card expire on 11/07/05. So in answer to your question - about six weeks.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Thanks 007.4, 6 weeks will do nicely.