Help getting started on a UK and France FTA setup

RobPW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
UK South
Could any one be so kind.

My spec is very stratightforward - I would like to receive the Freeview HD channels AND the French FTA terrestial channels (France 1,2 etc.). If it can be thrown in, then the Spanish terrestial channels would be great, but not so important.

I have no kit other than a HD receiver and would ideally like to install only one satellite dish. When I look at the orientation Freesat Astra is 28E and the only French satellite I can find (A.bird 3) is 3W. (Now cue laughter) This looks like more than the rotation I would expect from a motorised dish. Is that how it works?

Is there an obvious solution?

Be warned, the most helpful respondent may be asked to install the solution! (Surrey)

Thanks for your help.

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
I was in your position until recently until Robbo one of the Mods on here came to my rescue. Now I am watching the world (I think) Great hobby. Look for his website.
Probably cannot post it here but If you are allowed to PM me I will give you it or perhaps he will contact you. Good luck

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yep, LOL.

A motorised dish is the best solution, as you would not be able to get 5W and 28E on one dish easily

The French channels are pretty easy to get, there is a list of all the FTA ones here:

_http://www.flysat.com/tv-fr.php

On satellite, it would be the Freesat channels you require for UK channels.

There is also plenty of Spanish FTA available too, another list:-
_http://www.flysat.com/tv-sp.php

I'm pretty sure that the Spanish terrestrial channels are available on 30W too, but they are encrypted. If I remember correctly the MVision receivers once patched can receive them.

Which receiver do you have at the moment?

Robbo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Rob, 28.2 to 5W is quite a big angle, although it is possible with a couple of the multifocus dishes. For the best selection of FTA French channels, you need an analogue and digital receiver. I believe that the Freesat HD receivers can be used for other satellites, but you may decide to go for a non Freesat receiver, and perhaps a motorised dish. Really depends on what you want to spend and whether you only want to view from a single location in the house.

A nonymous

Reaction score
You will not get both on 1 dish (Unless you buy an expensive torodial dish like a Wave Frontier) although using 2 dishes and a 2 way DISEqC switch should work ok or as Robbo stated you could go motorised :D

The FTA french stuff can be found on Atlantic bird 3 at 5w. Its just a case of pointing a dish at 5w and another at 28.2e. You then connect your receiver to the DISEqC switch which can be located at the dish to save on wiring and then from the DISEqC switch to the lnbs :)

Atlantic bird 3 at 5w is an easy catch from the UK on a 60cm dish, although i have managed to get it a few times with a Sky Minidish :cool:

:-beer

Nano

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, probably the cheapest option would be two dishes, one for each satellite.

RobPW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
UK South
Robbo

I am impressed by the amount of knowledge returned. Thanks to everyone. Can't say I understand it all yet though!

In answer to your earlier mail, I have a Fortec Star Passion HD receiver from Maplin. (I had Humax HD from Currys but this appeared to be fixed on Freesat only and so I returned it unused.)

I am minded to go the Nanochicken way - with two dishes provided that they do not detract visually as this will reduce maintenance.

Perhaps a further question if I may: How do I translate the satellite orientation "30W" etc. into something I can relate to like a compass bearing?
I need to know how many external walls I will need to mount the dishes on.

Rob

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
RobPW said:
In answer to your earlier mail

I have not mailed you. :) but anyway, 30W just means 30 degrees west of south.

28E on the other hand, is 28 degrees east of south.

I would suspect that 5W and 30W are possible on a single fixed dish, but I've not tried that one. LOL. I'll put it on my 'to do' list.

Robbo