markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Humax Foxsat HD+ Freesat box
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
80cm solid dish goldstar 0.3 LNB with satfinder motor
Panasonic digibox Pace digibox goldstar
80cm mesh dish, Skystar2 pc card 139 inline boosters!
My Location
south scotland
This is so infuriating, basically the only open sky to the south is across the garden, burn and 80m to the back of a wood, so with in-line boosters I get sky on one dish no problem and also astra 1 on a second, brand new 80cm dish, also no problem. Try as I might I cannot get a sniff of hotbird and I can't understand why. Sky and astra1 work fine with only a single booster in line in each of the cables. Would I need more boosters to get hotbird? Am using a wee satellite finder with needle and tone and am on a new silvercrest receiver for astra1 / hotbird. Hope someone can help........Markyd23)(-red

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
temp setup on chair also-see siggy
My Location
UK
I am going to try getting this hotbird to. I need to affix my spare dish to my house which I will do at a later time.

I have got sky sub and with spare dish managed to get astra 1 pointing out my window lolz

Im thinking could the elevation be different for hotbird.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you have a clear sky for 6 degrees or so to the west of Astra 19.2, then you should be able to receive it. It is always better to compensate for cable length by increasing dish size and using better cable, WF or CT 125 or 165 would gain better results, as would a 1.1 or 1.2 metre dish..

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
rolfw said:
If you have a clear sky for 6 degrees or so to the west of Astra 19.2, then you should be able to receive it. It is always better to compensate for cable length by increasing dish size and using better cable, WF or CT 125 or 165 would gain better results, as would a 1.1 or 1.2 metre dish..

Thanks Rolf, it really is frustrating, Astra1 is no problem and using the meter, turn slightly to the right and tilt back and get a strong tone and a high(ish) needle reading but no luck. It has to be hotbird as it is the next one down isn't it? Astra1 seems a very high signal while this is weaker. Am thinking of getting another 2 or 3 boosters just for that cable run, should that compensate enough to get a strong signal for hotbird? I have a metre plus dish (70's prototype thing more akin to a pond) but no lnb arm or fitting. Not sure if this would be any use or how I would fit some form of arm. Am keen to try more boosters as the cable cost quite a bit and is now becoming part of the ground layer in the wood!
Markyd

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't forget 16E, there are a lot of satellites up there, perhaps try a little further and higher (but only slightly). :)

PS. never use more than one booster, but they do make them in different flavours, if i have to use one on a long run, I use something in the region of 17db, then it will cover the excess of 50m or so.

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
rolfw said:
Don't forget 16E, there are a lot of satellites up there, perhaps try a little further and higher (but only slightly). :)

PS. never use more than one booster, but they do make them in different flavours, if i have to use one on a long run, I use something in the region of 17db, then it will cover the excess of 50m or so.

Thanks again Rolf, in horizon terms, where i am pointing, sky is about 12 o clock and astra1 about 2 o clock, have been aiming between 2 o clock & 3 o clock for hotbird but i suspect it may be a bit further round, might well have been hitting 16E (need to clear MORE branches!). Have to say this true north / magnetic north thing confuses me. Notice they have a digital compass in Lidl this week - might help too. Determined to get there eventually - thanks again for your help.
Markyd.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Forget compass directions in tight situations, this is why professionals invest hundreds/thousands of pounds on meters, they tell you what you are seeing, not what you should be seeing. :)

J

Jeff_19341

Are you useing an active transponders to try to locate Hotbird? Try 11013H, 27500 or 11077V, 27500.
I Just cannot understand why you need boosters to pick up these strong transmissions?

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
JuMbuCk said:
Are you useing an active transponders to try to locate Hotbird? Try 11013H, 27500 or 11077V, 27500.
I Just cannot understand why you need boosters to pick up these strong transmissions?

Am using the signal strength, quality and tone indicators on the receiver with my girlfriend on the other end of the walkie talkie! We couldn't even get decent quality reading on sky before we got a booster. Our current receiver identifies each satellite and astra 1 & 2 are not a problem. Am off to the back of the wood to try again........

J

Jeff_19341

Sorry about that, I should have read your other post about where your dishes are located. I can now see why you need an amplifier. Best of luck with your serching.

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
No problem.

Right folks, I believe from another site that, when you have Astra 1 and look down the line of the arm, hotbird is literally a couple of inches away and up a touch. Is this about right?

Read something about KHz settings, think is was to do with a sat finder meter and some sats can't be detected if this is switched on or off. Not sure if this is at all relevant.

The current settings on the receiver are:

LNB No: LNB1
Voltage 0v
LNB power: on
DISEqc: B(1x4)
22 Khz: Auto
Channel Type: All
Network search: On
Low Freq Mhz: 09750
High Freq Mhz: 10600

If hotbird is just a couple of inches from Astra1 and I have clear sky, then why can't I get it? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArghhhhh!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
markyd23 said:
Hotbird is literally a couple of inches away

Yes, that's correct to the right - looking from the dish out - it screams from the sky and you should get a signal no problem (I know that doesn't help). If you look at dishes with two LNBs on the dish you will get an idea how close the position are.

Did you buy the Satellite finder?

See this monoblock that's how close.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What transponder are you using?

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
gameboy said:
Yes, that's correct to the right - looking from the dish out - it screams from the sky and you should get a signal no problem (I know that doesn't help). If you look at dishes with two LNBs on the dish you will get an idea how close the position are.

Did you buy the Satellite finder?

See this monoblock that's how close.

Thanks Gameboy, mmmm, think I have been going too far, maybe even up to a couple of feet! so it literally is almost on top of astra1? give or take. Just wondered whether this Khz off / on or auto was relevant. I guess I will have to concentrate in that very small space by astra1. Thanks for the pic, puts things in perspective a bit more! This is becoming a quest and a half! Really appreciate all the help from you experts guys.

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
rolfw said:
What transponder are you using?

Tending to put it on something that I have confidence will be on such as RTL, vox, eurosport etc, then on the receiver press info which gives strength, quality and an audible tone which all work no problem with astra1.

J

Jeff_19341

@markyd23
Just done a check with my 85cm dish. The centre pip on the face of the lnb moved about 8cms west (right from behind dish) when changing from 19*east to 13*east. This centre pip is also about 1cm higher.
Very roughly
distance moved = distance from swivel point X sine of
angle moved.
Hence (in my case)
distance moved = 77cm X sine 6.2* = 8.3cm That's close enough!

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
Thanks, will try when I get home from work tomorrow - girlfriend locking keys in her car and the footie restricted my attempts this evening. Fingers crossed and thanks for your time - much appreciated.

M.

J

Jeff_19341

You will get there eventually:-doh! . You seem to be having a run of bad luck but hopefully things will get better. Best of luck with your next search.

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
My Location
south scotland
JuMbuCk said:
You will get there eventually:-doh! . You seem to be having a run of bad luck but hopefully things will get better. Best of luck with your next search.

Hi folks, been out for a couple of hours again and tried everything with no success! Astra 1 is easy, can get that whenever I want in a couple of seconds but no hotbird. Am I right in thinking that there is a distance limit on cable for receiving analogue? still have an old analogue receiver which might help in the initial finding but I'm sure 80m or so is too long a run?

Also, if I am right on astra1 (very high quality & signal) would a twin lnb automatically receive hotbird as well? Can't believe this has become such a hassle!

J

Jeff_19341

Just a thought, when you say you are on Astra 19degrees are you sure, could you be on Hotbird at 13degrees?

It must be frustrating for you as getting those two birds is so easy. Over a nudge and up a nats and there it is and 16*E sits in between them.

Another way to look at it. You know how much you moved from 28east to 19east = 9degrees. moving from 19east to 13 east = 6degrees. hence 2/3 the distance between 28east and 19east