HELP, i dont know whats knackered more, my system or me?

Fuerte Stuart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Slightly knackered FTA Dual dish
My Location
Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Hello to all...
Thanks in advance, im a bit of a NOOB.

About a year ago a friend of mine set up a FTA system for me, he has since left the island and i have no contact for him. and i cant afford to pay some guy a fortune to do what might be a simple job.

The system consisted of Two dishes on my roof (one just over a metre, the other slightly smaller) and a Mondeal reciever in my living room. Im not sure what they were pointing at, but the main channels were sky freesat ones, BBC streams, Dubia 1 and MBC. plus about 100 arabic other ones.

About a month ago, after a power cut my Mondeal box wouldnt switch on saying Err 01 on the box, (had a quick look on the net, and it said something about an error in the firmware) i got an old reciever from a friend (Manhattan DSR-5500ci_m) but it only picked up one dish.
I went up to the roof and theres what looks like a splitter/combiner that joins the two dishes and sends the signal downstairs.
If i swap the two inputs around then i can recieve the other dish, but i cant get both dishes to work at the same time.

Whats broken? the switch/splitter thingy or the reciever?? or my brain.

Thanks peeps.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Almost certainly a Diseqc 2-port switch.
Your Mondeal will have been set up to switch between dishes using Diseqc 1.0 port commands.

Check in the Manhattan's menu for setting up LNB switching via Diseqc 1.0 commands (or something along these lines, don't know the box myself) and allocate each port 1 and 2 to switch your LNBs on the dishes accordingly.

Llew

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The switch/splitter thingy is a diseqc switch.
It doesn't combine the signals but allows the switching between the two dishes.

For the switch to work it needs to be controlled, which is done by the receiver.

In order for the receiver to control the switch it needs to know that the switch is there and secondly what switch position to use for each dish.

I know nothing about your receiver but assuming that it's capable of diseqc 1.0 switching it is necessary for you to go into the installation menu and enable diseqc for the two satellites that your dishes are connected to. Then set which switch position each sat should use.

I believe that with no switch control the switch would default to its first position, so whichever sat is getting a signal with no control, set this to the first position and the other sat to the second one.

Until the switch has been configured in the receiver it is impossible to say if anything is broken.

Give it a go and we will find out whether its the switch or your brain.:) or neither hopefully.

Cheers.
Robbo.

Fuerte Stuart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Slightly knackered FTA Dual dish
My Location
Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Thanks guys... all fixed and working now.

it was the disc switchy thingymebob.

Cheers for the fast responses too!!