Help Me Chose Equipment

fabricio

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been reading the forums as I wanted to get into (free) sat tv ;) anywho I’m REALLY glad I found this forums as I was going to buy a card that had a CI and throw away money on a CAM and smatcards I did not need. So far what I have gotten from the site is that I can buy a Skystar 2 2.6c with the remote for 60€ (www.dvbshop.tv) an 80cm dish and a universal LNB (50€) plus MyTheater +Yanksee+softcam.key.I should be able to get free sat tv. What I don’t find in the forums is what encryptions it handles. I’m in Madrid and I should be able to get Hispasat, Astra 1E/1G, Hot Bird1/5, Panamsat 3R, Eutelsat W1 and others with a better dish. I might remember reading that Hispasat uses NAGRA and Astra SECA II. Should I worry about anything? Am I missing something? Also how is the picture/sound quality on this cards?

Thanks,

P.S. GREAT SITE!

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
So many questions !
Easy answer, get yourself a SkyStar 2 PCI card, as big a dish as you can, 1 Mtr should be plenty but check the satellites in question footprints (Lyngsat website has these I think ?) for Italy.
Ensure you PC is a higher end system for the smooth running of the various DVB softs out there (1.5 gig or above processor and plenty of RAM i.e. 512MB to make sure) you can run lesser systems but check the minimum spec for the SS2 card, more is best.
As for sound and vision quality thats probably down to your PC setup, you can record the content to DVD and play it later on your surround sound TV like I do, works a treat.
The inherant problem with DVB card de-cryption is the hit and miss problem with channel provider encryption, after all, watching PayTV for free is illegal so the providers are doing all they can to stamp it out.
Currenty there are only a handful of PayTV channels to be had for free, more or even less to come soon I'm sure, it's a very uncertain future for this hobby !!!

Hope I've been of some help ?

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
Sorry just realised your in Spain !!! I would imagine an 80CM dish will get you plenty but still think "BIG is better" (like the wife keeps telling me...)
O-Ha

fabricio

Reaction score
Rod Hulls Aerial said:
Currenty there are only a handful of PayTV channels to be had for free, more or even less to come soon I'm sure, it's a very uncertain future for this hobby !!!

Hope I've been of some help ?

So what are the keys for? Just to be able to get the free channels?

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
With the current Softcams available (Yankse S2EMU etc) there are readily available softcam "keys" available to download.
Once you have your PCI card installed and your dish aligned to the Satellite of your choice ensure you have a softcam installed in your DVB softwares Plugin folder, insert a current softcam key and you will be able to receive your channel providing the hash tables are known for the provider in question.
Like I said before it's hit and miss in this game, sometimes we are ahead of the providers but more often than not they are one step ahead of us in the game.....

fabricio

Reaction score
Are the channel numbers in SatcoDX.com the correct number for each satellite? In other words will I be able to see them if I have the correct keys for the satellite?

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
I'm guessing you mean frequencies for the channels ?
If your using DVB software don't worry, they nearly all have the ability to scan all the transponders available and will auto update your channel list.
Once you have it all set up you need to install S2EMU or Yankse and the latest softcam key, you will then be able to watch the available channels currently decrypted.
My dish is currently pointing at Hotbird and there are only a few encrypted channels available to view at this time, plus about 200 free to air channels.