My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish, Coship FTA STB, C band dual output +KU, d
My Location
India
Hi
how to add frequency like
12537H 27500 3/4 531 631
i know this is DD DTH frequency.
i m very new with satellite TV system , yeah learn so much things from forums and web sites, tell me what is terms like VPID, apID , SR , and how to set in our STB.

i have coship FTA STB and 60cm Dish, Ku lnb. i can set my dish to NSS6 easly. but if i want to set my dish to
Asiasat 2 , insat 2e, LM1, PAS 7 and 10 what should i do, i know azimuth and elevation , but i tried so many days ,
my problem is my stb has no satellite finder i mean i have seen someware that we have to put satellite info like for NSS6 it is 95E , so in STB we have to put 95E for satellte , our logi and late info and STB will show single for us, but in my STB it is not there, so anybody help me to find other satellite. or give me link where i can find more info, i want basic and detail information.
bonny:)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, we have FAQs and links sections, you will find some questions answered there, also pointers to useful Internet help pages.

Being in the UK, i don't know what your local sky "looks like", but in general ....

1) For a particular satellite, to point the dish, you have to find out its "bearing" from your ground position, as a compass direction and an elevation angle (AZimut and ELevation). Doing this involves 3d geometry, and some calculation, but many websites have "dish calculators" that will work it out for you, if you input which satellite you want, and your map reference position. Or, there's tables which list approximate bearings from nearest major cities.

2) That's approximate. To actually get the satellite, you have to move the dish around a bit, until a signal is received, if you haven't got an additional sat "finder" or "bleeper" then most receivers have a signal display. But, you can't just pre-set the dish to a known position, because that's not accurate enough, unlike a tv aerial a sat dish needs pointing exactly, so you do have to detect the signal.

3) In the Sky, satellites actually "appear" on a fixed position arc, fairly close to the ecliptic (sun's path across sky; the ecliptic slowly moves above and below this satellite arc, according to what month it is).

4) As you "sweep" the sat dish along this arc, your receiver will "see" all the different satellites, some of which may be only 3 degrees apart.

5) To get a decodable signal, digital or analogue, you need sufficiently good "signal to noise". In general, satellites almost overhead come in with a strong power and only need a small dish, those further towards the horizon have a weaker signal and will need a larger dish.

6) To get a particular satellite channel, you need to know its Ku band frequency (between 10.7 and 12.7 Ghz), and polarisation (electric field direction, Vertical or Horizontal), and symbol rate and foreward error correction ratio if digital. You don't normally need the pid (part of the digital structure, identifying Video and Audio data streams). These details for all satellites are at www.satcodx.com .

This website might be some help: http://www.geo-orbit.org/ . Especially the links for position calculations, and dish size needed.

For Indian channels: www.indiantelevision.com/satreckon/satelliteindia/satellitesoverindia.htm .

This one has approx locations of Indian cities. Notice how az and el values - for just one satellite - depend on exactly where you are: www.scatmag.com/technical/techarticle-feb05.pdf .

And here's one - amongst many - Az/El calculator, which gives some data for Indian satellites and cities, most don't. http://home.planet.nl/~napel/sataim.htm .

bonny72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish, Coship FTA STB, C band dual output +KU, d
My Location
India
Thanks for reply

i will go through it.
thanks again

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
To get many different satellites - at a single ground location - what most people do is use a motorised dish, which can then "sweep along" the satellite arc. There's 2 basic different ways of doing this, and some "dish setting up" is required. If you're interested, many other members on this website can give detailed help.

For detailed explanation of p.i.d., see:www.mpeg2fta.com/what_is_mpeg2_free_to_air_all_ab.htm (USA website, so different satellites, and satellite receivers also, but exactly the same technical details still apply!).

also: www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/research/future-net/digital-video/mpeg2-trans.html .