HELP ME! Motor on 1.2 meter dish?

D

dockerslund

I'm about to buy a 1.2 meter Prime Focus dish, with stand and motor.
I've got a couple of questions, which I hope someone out there can help me with. I'm very new to all this satellite stuff. :-ohmy)

The motor on the dish is not new (as far as I know).
I can't control the motor through the receiver (DiSEqC).
Is there any other way to control it? I want to be able to move the dish between 1 degree West (Thor + Intelsat) and 5 degree east (Sirius 3). Would it still work, even if the motor isn't of a new standard?
The guy I'm going to buy it from, says that it should work. He hasn't used it for years though. It sounded like he didn't know a lot about it either.
I know almost nothing about dish motors, especially not old ones, so I hope that someone out there could help me.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
If you have a H to H mount, you can probably control it with something like the EZ2100 Positioner which is what I use.

Its just a small box that can sit next to your STB.

It will store up to 32 positions, and comes with its own remote.

I have had no real problems with mine in the last 3 years.

I got mine from Tony at HiSat in Bristol, if you are in the UK, have a look at his site or give him a call.

If you want any further info or advice do come back and ask again.

Regards

W. Hole

PS. I think it is probably made from part of the inside of a full STB, because it responds to fairly common codes from things like the Topline 5 URC.

Doodler

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Assuming your motor is normally driven by a 36-volt positioner, another alternative is to use a positioner that accepts diseqc commands but controls 36v motors. I have one called Aston DS100 which works fine, it's about £100, and there is another one out there (name I forget). There was an earlier thread that gave me the info to start, and I think it was Channel Hopper who provided me with good info.

Doodler

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Feb-02 AT 11:45 AM (GMT)]hello docker

i am posting you PM back on to the forum as I don't know what an az/el mount is either, but i'm sure someone will..

"Hi!
Thanks for your answer to my message.
This is what I know about the dish I'm about to buy.

Channel Master satellite dish, solid, Prime Focus, brand new with AZ/EL mount.

So it's not an H to H mount. What's an AZ/EL mount? Can I still use it?"

good luck

W.H.

edit:

here is docker's latest PM :

"Sorry.
I was wrong.
It actually says: Satellite dish, 1.2 metre, with stand and motor, Priem Focus.
So it doesn't say anything about any mounts.
But this guy told me that he has used the motor before."

Docker - I'm not sure if you have you setting right, but you stand a better chance of getting an answer by posying (edit: i meant posting, but i'm sure a bit of posying won't harm your case:) to the forum.

regards

w.h.