• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help me with sky digital

Hello All

Well guys hope someone can help me here im new to this looking for some help and ideas well here goes

I live in a terraced area and my next door neighbour has a massive silver birch in the next garden that can not be cut its protected trouble is it effects my signal for my sky digital so when it blows even a little I do not get any signal can anyone help me at all with this its doing my head in I have some ideas

1. I get a bigger dish Im told this could help need some help where to get one no ideas what so ever

2. Get planning permission to have it put on my roof

Any help please

Many Thanks

Techz

P.S hope this is the right place on the forums if not please move admin/mod sorry

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Techz, this is precisely the right place to voice your problem :)

If you are using a standard minidish, you should be able to mount it on the chimney without consent, as long as it does not exceed the height of the chimney.

A bigger dish will probably not solve your problem as the tree will still encroach on the line of sight, although moving it further to the side might.

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
Where ie the dish, on the back or the front? you can always put it on a pole mount, if it is a terraced house with largish tiles, there is a tile mount so that you can actually mount it in the roof. there are also joist mounts available which mount through the tiles or slates.

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
If you have a digital camera, take a few photos, then we can say what you need mount wise.

Take a photo from the side of the dish looking in the direction of the satellite, then of the dish location, then one of the roof etc, then we can suggest what mount you require.

There is always the option of mounting it on a pole mount on the front of the house looking over the roof, then the tree shouldn't obstruct it.

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
From the look of the pictures, you can either use a pole mount where the dish is presently mounted, or mount one on the fornt of the house, but it may then hit the tallest part of the tree, the pole mount in the present situation would appear to be the best of those options.

If that is a flat roofed extension that I see, then it may be even better to park the dish at the end of that, then it will not hit the upper branches of the tree.

No m8 its a garage in my garden that goes onto a private road only thing I can do is the pole then but where do I get the stuff to do it or do you know any places in the south-east (Kent) that would do it ?

many Thanks

Techz

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
If it isn't your garage then the pole mount is pretty standard, all you need is a small stand off to allow for the gutter and a steel pole, almost any satellite/aerial company will stock them.