Help. Motorised and fixed dish on one receiver?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
I have a motorised dish looking east, and have just added a fixed dish pointing at Hispasat. Will a diseqc 2 way switch work ok between the two?

I have done a search could not see a reply to this specific setup.

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at York's thread at the top of the Sticky section.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Thanks Rolfw- I have looked at that already, but he has two motors. I was wondering if anyone had just one motor and one fixed dish and didn't have to alternate positions in order to get the diseqc 1.2/USALS to work.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What you have is a more simple version, so you may not have similar problems.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Hi Robbo71,

It should work, but it depends on the compatibility of your equipment. Before deciding to motorize my second dish (mine too was static on Hispasat), I used a manual A/B switch to switch between the two. If you use TMEditor you can turn off the diSEqC positioner setting for Hispasat (this is only a global command on the receiver), and leave the rest on 1.2 or USALS. That way if you forget to flick the switch before selecting Hispasat , the motorised dish won't go off on it's travels.

If you are feeling brave then you can risk less than a tenner on a DiSEqC switch:)

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yorks said:
Hi Robbo71,

If you use TMEditor you can turn off the diSEqC positioner setting for Hispasat (this is only a global command on the receiver), and leave the rest on 1.2 or USALS. That way if you forget to flick the switch before selecting Hispasat , the motorised dish won't go off on it's travels.

If you are feeling brave then you can risk less than a tenner on a DiSEqC switch:)

Regards,

Yorks.

Thanks Yorks.
On my receiver it looks like I can disable Diseqc positioning locally just for Hispasat. I'm using it at the moment, I have a manual switch- a small spanner behind the box so I can swap feeds.:p.

For a tenner, yes I think it's work a try with the Diseqc switch.

regards.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
If you do decide to splash out, I'll give you some help configuring your settings, if you have any problems.:)

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yorks- you were right, the motor settings are global on the TM1000D, found this out when I tried to go back to use the motor and nothing happened. TMEditor did the trick though.
This must surely be a bug in the firmware? On my Fortec Beta the motor controls are independent for every satellite.
So thanks once again for the info.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Hi Robbo71,

I think it's just something that they didn't think of at the time.
  1. If you have a DiSEqC motor - you use 1.2 or USALS.
  2. If you have static dishes/multi lnb's - you use 1.0 or 1.1
Simple!
Why on earth should anybody need to use both? :eek:

If only life was that simple :-rofl2.

Oh.... by the way, if you change your DiSEqc positioner settings on your receiver for any reason, it will change the lot again and you will need to edit Hispasat to 'OFF' again on the PC.

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Either that or knock down next doors house'O'-red

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
robbo i have the same problem lol where my bedroom window is i can only get the eastern ones i have notice and to get any of the western one like hespasat because im after that 1 id have to put a dish around the back. Im thinking about saying stuff it and stick the dish pointing over the roof (thats if the installation guy will do it) then i can get them all.

But next door yeah all they need to do is put it on the side of there house as 1 of there walls faces every satellte. I know its risky putting it on the roof but hey lifes 2 short to be peeing around with 2 or 3 dishes on a house for me and plus the neighbours would want to know what im up 2.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Sharkadder said:
robbo i have the same problem lol where my bedroom window is i can only get the eastern ones i have notice and to get any of the western one like hespasat because im after that 1 id have to put a dish around the back. Im thinking about saying stuff it and stick the dish pointing over the roof (thats if the installation guy will do it) then i can get them all.

But next door yeah all they need to do is put it on the side of there house as 1 of there walls faces every satellte. I know its risky putting it on the roof but hey lifes 2 short to be peeing around with 2 or 3 dishes on a house for me and plus the neighbours would want to know what im up 2.

Yeah,one of my other ideas was to mount my motor on a west facing wall looking over the roof. The slope and length of my roof would have allowed me to get up to 45W, depending on how high I put it.

I ditched this idea though as I didn't want to shell out for expensive bracketry,it would have looked ugly and I'm scared of heights.:eek:

I had a 90cm dish lying around as I bought the Maplin kit, so I cobbled up a ground mount and stuck it behind some trees in my back garden. It can hardly be seen from the garden.http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/picture-members-setups-general-satellite-installations/96951-finally-found-hiding-place-my-90cm-dish.html

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
Finally received a 4-way diseqc switch, connected it all up with my motor on LNB1 i/p and my fixed dish on LNB2 i/p. Set up my receiver using TMEditor with the sats I want on the motor set to USALS and diseqc 1 position 1, and my fixed dish set to USALS off and diseqc 1 position2.
Guess what!!
Not a blinking sausage. The motor won't move and the switch won't switch. No signals at all either.

The switch will only work when I physically remove the motor from the circuit.

The switch I have is a ES41DS from Eurostar. My motor is a Fortec Star branded STAB HH90 motor.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Yorks?

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Hi Robbo71,:)

Have you tried the Motor on LNB2. I would say your first priority is to try to get your motorised dish working through the switch. It could be a compatibility issue.

You can also try switching receiver ON/OFF/ON at rear, after installing and configuring switch for motor. If that works, connect and configure static dish cable and repeat ON/OFF/ON. (I would recommend that you always cut power when connecting/disconnecting coax).

I am using a 'Global' 2 way switch, which worked OK with my Fortec Star FS2100 motor, before adding a second motorised dish.
I have read where TM users have had problems with one brand of switch, and success with another. 'Emitor' 4 way was a problem for one guy, but I think it can all depend on individual equipment.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Thanks Yorks.
I have already tried conecting the motor to i/p 2 on the switch
and I always switch off the receiver anyway.

I think my switch must be incompatible. I've disconnected the motor at the moment I think it will stick to just using the switch, until I can find a switch that will work with the motor.
Cheers
Robbo.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
OK m8:)

The Global 2 way seems to be as popular as any for these weird configs - but please don't hold me to it, if it doesn't work for you.:D

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Update- I have finally got a motorised dish and a fixed dish working together on a single receiver.:):):)

The receiver is connected straight to the motor (REC).

The motor (LN:cool: then goes to the Diseqc switch output.

The LNB of the fixed dish connects to LNB i/p 2 of the switch.

The LNB of the motorised dish goes to LNB i/p 1 of the switch.

Basically, putting the motor first and then the diseqc switch next and then the LNBs works.
Putting the diseqc switch first doesn't

No problems at all, the motor moves straight away without any hassles, and the switch switches.

On the Technomate the motorised settings were set to USALS for the sats on the motor, with the diseqc 1.0 set to 1. For the sat on the fixed dish Motor control was set to off with diseqc 1.0 set to 2. This was done using TMEditor, thanks to Yorks.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Great news Robbo71.:D

So just to clarify - do you have a single cable connecting your receiver to your motor (REC on motor), and then the DiSEqC switch connected to your motor's lnb terminal (LNB on motor) and a cable running to each LNB from the DiSEqC switch?

Regards,

Yorks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes Yorks, exactly what I've done.

I think it works because the DiSEqC motor must be completely ignoring any DiSEqC 1.0 commands and letting them straight through.

The economy DiSEqC 1.0 switch however when connected first was possibly trying to interpret DiSEqC 1.2 commands, failing miserably, and not bothering to pass the info onto something that would. Then getting its knickers in a twist and ignoring everything else it was told after that.O-zzz

I was going to post up a wiring diagram, but for some reason it is not possible for me to post attachments at the moment

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Well done m8. Where there's a will there's a way,;) (usually).

Regards,

Yorks.