Help needed for dusty Nokia 9200

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Hi guyz, Definitely need some advice here. Feeling sentimental I dug out my old Nokia 9200 DVB2000 from
its plastic wrapping, I plugged in, it booted and then nothing. Well after a couple of years in the attic what else could I expect?
Feeling brave I uploaded the latest files and upgraded to DVB2000beta8. Looks quite impressive, but looking at the free
to air German channels still no picture. I have read the DVB2000 Tutorial word for word, tweaked here and tweaked there.
What have I tweaked wrong? I tried a channel search but all I get is no signal, yet my Echostar 3000 is perfect, so it is not the dish or LNB.
I have a fondness for the Nokia and the DVB2000 software and would like to make it more versatile.
If on the other hand you think that I should save my time and money and stay with the Echostar. Then I will take your advice.
However bear in mind if I blow the Nokia up with my messing around no harm would be done, as the receiver is only gathering dust.
Endangering my laptop, now that's another story. Yours with very much respect.
Allan

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't used this receiver Allan. but I know that they are still quite popular, sounds like maybe one of the default settings is adrift.

I had a similar problem with my Hyundai after loading new software and found that the default LNB settings were incorrect.

There is always of course the possibility that after a long period of disuse, one of the power supply components has fried itself on reconnection to the mains, but lets not be pessimistic. :)

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Thanks rolfw. Quick off the mark as usual. Let's just hope someone comes up with some suggestions. I honestly believe that I have inadvertantly messed up the software myself, a little prod here a little prod there...it happens!
Still as I have said in the past, beats going senile.
Allan

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
my advice is to put back the original software and get it working with that first. When I had my Nokia 9200, the software was called FTA 2.3. I believe I have a copy of that in my archives. Do you?

If you are still able to load new firmware and/or settings over the serial port then it is unlikely you have damaged the thing.

When you tested it, did you connect it directly to the LNB, or did you loop it through the Echostar? In any event, connect it directly.

Have you tried explicitly defining a new transponder that you KNOW has channels on the sat you are looking at, and then rescanning just that transponder? Just to be sure, try this on both a V and an H transponder, and a high- and low-band signal - i.e. four different tranpsonders. This will allow for the possibility that the receiver is not generating the required 0/12v & 22khz switching signals).

2old

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Thanks 2old4this.
Will try your suggestions tomorrow when the wife goes shopping, that's about the only time I can take the TV over:D
Oh, I am connecting directly to LNB. Unfortunately I haven't a clue what the original software was, I sent the receiver away to have it upgraded to DVB2000, and that wasa long time ago, I can't even remember who did it now.O-Ha . Anyway Thank you, at least I have something to try in the morning.
Allan

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Update of sorts.
Removed beta software and installed FTA23. Once again the familiar blue Nokia screen before DVB2000, gosh that seems such a long time ago.
The problem........no signal strength whatsoever. Yes I am on Astra and my other receivers work perfectly.....so there is my problem. No signal:confused
Any suggestions. Again Thank you for your help.
Allan

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
have you checked the LNB input on the back of the receiver? Maybe there is a short-circuit (bit of earthing wire?) across it, or maybe something is preventing a clean connection (dust, gunge, mouse-droppings, mammalian body-parts, etc.).

Try conecting without the F-connector. Unscrew it to expose the central co-ax core, and surrounding earthing. Stick the core in the receiver connector directly, and touch the earthing to the outer part of the connector. At least this way you could more easilt verify that the connection is being made without short-circuits.

Did you check the LNB settings? Did you try scanning a specific transponder?

Have you also tried a sacrifice to the God of Obscure Problems?

2old

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It mihgt be worth writing down all the numbers that appear on the receiver front panel as it starts up..

These should give the experts an idea of how far the receiver gets before giving up

Uploading files into Nokias was never an easy task, I had a rather frustrating run in with a 9800 last year, never again.

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Thanks channel Hopper. I think I've given up. All I get now is the Welcome page in several languages and when I try to search a satellite there is no signal strength whatsoever. As for DVB2000,
I think I must have erased everything.
Anyway, same dish, same LNB and Echostar works like a dream.

@ 2old4this, as for praying to the God of obscure problems Nah!!
Back to the Attic. Regards to all, have a nice Easter.
Allan

theslydog

Reaction score
My Location
moon
in dvb2000 did u check menu setup 8 then menu 1 LNB settings maybe u have wrong setting there.

Also pay recheck tuner menu 6 and maybe manually re-enter all settings.