help needed with 3.2m elliptical dish!

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Located in southern turkey. 3.2m elliptial dish, invacom lnb, mulit switch with sky+ box.
My Location
Turkey
Hi, just found this forum after looking on the web for info on how best to set up my new dish.

I have just installed a 3.2m height by 2.9m width fiberglass elliptical dish. Not sure on the make or model as i got it second hand and being in turkey its prob a copy!

I am trying to recieve astra2d 28.2, i have a lacuna meter but im only recieving about 40% picture quality and about the same on ss. I already have a 2m dish set up and get about the same signal as the big dish. Channel 4 sky1,2,3 etc i recieve about 40 channels.

I didnt get a lnb with the dish and not sure if i need a feedhorn type or is there a special lnb for elliptical dishes?

any help would be greatly appreciated as the turkish installers here are useless so im doing this on my own!

Cheers Paul

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Paul, might be an idea to upload a few photos of the dish, so that the members can see what type it is.

For that sized dish, a matched feedhorn is a prerequisite.

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Located in southern turkey. 3.2m elliptial dish, invacom lnb, mulit switch with sky+ box.
My Location
Turkey
thanks for your quick reply! just taken these pictures!

This dish came from a german house here in turkey, not sure if they imported it or they bought it here.

any help will be greaty appreciated

cheers Paul

Attachments

• CIMG0304.jpg
    CIMG0304.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 142
  • CIMG0305.jpg
    CIMG0305.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 119
  • dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 146
  • lnb.jpg
    lnb.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 139

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whereabouts in Turkey are you Paul, as reception will vary immensely from East to West.

Have resized and rotated your images to make them easier to view, hopefully someone will recognise the dish. :)

PS. If you are in Western Turkey, the skew on the LNB looks to be too much.

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turkey
Hi, im in southern turkey (dalaman), We are more to the west of cyprus.

I have set up other dishes here in dalaman for friends and they can recieve bbc, itv etc. One was a 3m dish and is connected to a multi switch and is supplying 6 villas. The other one is a 4m dish supplying just one villa. Both work very well but were supplyed new with matching lnb's.

I have never messed with a elliptical dish before so im stuck on this big time! Is there a special lnb for elliptical dishes with elliptical rings on the feedhorn?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The dish you have pictured is not actually an elliptical dish, it is just an offset one. It is taller than it is wide, so that the satellite sees a circle when looked from above. Thus no special shaped feedhorn is needed. Smaller offset dishes normally have an F/d ratio of aprox 0.6 to 0.7 I believe, yours may be similar. A feedhorn designed for a prime focus dish will not be suitable as the F/d of those is a lot lower.

As already said, a matched feedhorn is needed to get the best performance out of the large dishes.

Elliptical dishes are shaped like Sky mini dishes, i.e wider than they are tall.

:)

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turkey
Cheers for that, like i said im completely in the dark on this one, how do i find the correct lnb for the dish?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hopefully someone will recognise the dish and make, and be able to tell you.:)

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Could you take a close up of the LNB as it's impossible to see what you are using.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It's just a bog standard LNBF snap.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Skew should be around +8°

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
The LNB needs changing, if it is a standard LNB, you'll see a big jump in performance with an Invacom quad C120 and offset feedhorn. Skew is currently set wrongly, the LNB should be nearly vertical, just under 8 degrees turn anti- clockwise, if viewed whilst facing the dish. Merely setting this right should improve things.

Gaza 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3Mtr Laser PF invacom .3 lnb and laser feed horn AD3000VAICP Cards Cams all the other Stuff
Annie 204 Spectrum
My Location
Fetihye S/w Turkey
Hi Paul

the dish you have if my info is right is made in izmir so iam told i do not install these only the laser range, i have seen some blister due to the heat then then water gets behind the coating and lifts it off even more.i reconise the construction but have only seen this as a prime focus meaning from the back of the dish

your probley find its some cheap and cheerful lnb been fitted i have a range of invacom offset lnb 40mm and a sharp some where i can give you a call when i am in dalaman next time as i do have a few customers there email me

Gary

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turkey
Hi Gary, Can you send me some contact details please, i have a friend here in dalaman who also needs some help, he needs someone with a spectrum analiyzer and knows how to work it, unlike the turkish fitters we have here in dalaman.

Cheers Paul

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
dalid69 said:
Hi Gary, Can you send me some contact details please, i have a friend here in dalaman who also needs some help, he needs someone with a spectrum analiyzer and knows how to work it, unlike the turkish fitters we have here in dalaman.

Cheers Paul

Gary already has his Vcard details enabled
Click on his name
click on view public profile
click on contact details tab
click on link download Vcard details and you have his email address

dalid69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turkey
Still cant find the v card link on gaza 1's profile, if anyone has his email or number can they post it for me please, Thanks Paul

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
dalid69 said:
Still cant find the v card link on gaza 1's profile, if anyone has his email or number can they post it for me please, Thanks Paul

Click Here

Then click on the contact info tab, when that is displayed in front of you the third option down is download Vcard it really is so simple....

Nobody is going to break the rules by posting an Email address or a telephone number are they?

swesat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LyngBox
+ T90
+ Nokia 100 cm offset
+ Luxor 180 cm prime focus.
My Location
Sweden
Hi dalid69!

The Channel Master feedhorn (Model 6116060-07) is probably the best one for your offset dish and if you use it together with Invacom quad LNB (Model QDF-031) you´ll get very good performance.
I don´t recognize your dish but the surface look OK on your pictures but it´s hard to tell if it´s a well made dish or not, if the dish is made with poor accuracy it will perform poor even though it´s big.

Make sure focaldistance is adjusted on the "millimeter" to achive maximal performance from your dish otherwise you´ll loose a lot of gain. When you finetune your dish, feedhorn/LNB etc look at signalquality in your satellite receiver (don´t bother to look at signalstrenght, it´s no good for finetuning) or measure digital BER (which is the best way to fine tune dish, feedhorn/LNB etc).

/ Peter

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
saw the pictures and am supprised someone didn't see the lnb is twisted the wrong way.
unless the picture was inverted.
looking at the lnb facing the dish its at the 5 on the clock.
it should be at the 7 on the clock.
the lnb needs to be twisted about 60 degrees clockwise.
almost the same as if you want to pick up the free turkish service at 42 east.
hope this gets you there ok
ralph