help needed with dreambox and bt voyager 205 adsl router

georgebr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
please guys i need help for using my dreambox on the ethernet port on the bt voyager 205 adsl router,im trying to acsess a tcp server but for some reason it does not work.
help appreciated.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
What's the address of your router? You need to enter this in the Dreambox communication setup as the Gateway Address or something. I guess the Dreambox's own address needs to be configured to match this address as well, e.g. if your router is 192.168.2.1 your Dreambox would need to be 192.168.2.n where n is anything but 1 (24 seems to be a common choice).

If the addresses seem to be OK, have you tried turning the router's internal firewall off for communications with the Dreambox address?

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
Does the ADSL router have a built in DHCP server in it? Most do. If so enable it and then select the use DHCP option on the dreambox. That should do it.

Neil

neethan30

Reaction score
BonceChops said:
Does the ADSL router have a built in DHCP server in it? Most do. If so enable it and then select the use DHCP option on the dreambox. That should do it.

Neil

I have a bt voyager 205 adsl router and I had trouble writing to the dreambox but thats because I had a corrupt image, I downloaded a new image from the shop I bought the receiver and its fine now.

Enable dhcp in the dreambox if you know how to and connect your bt modem with filter directly to the phone line(ignore your pc completely), so you have ethernet connection going from 'modem to the dreambox' and phone line connection from your phone socket going to your modem via the filter.Reboot both dreambox and modem and try updating that way, it should work!!

Enabling dhcp: press menu -setup - expertsetup - communications - and a cross should appear next to dhcp and press green button to save.

exit out so you are back to normal viewing screen and press the blue button,
look for what cam is selected. if none are there scroll down to addon keys and select it, go to update cams and select the cam you want and do the same for keys.

save and reboot if you have to.

I use newcamd!!

After you have done this, take your modem and dreambox back to your pc and this time disable dhcp and the settings the dreambox had will be retained and you do not have to type it all in. So now you will have usb connection from bt modem to computer and an ethernet to your dreambox from modem, and try looking for the ip address on you dreambox now which should be in the format 192.168.1.? and type this into you ftp and it should work...

keep me updated!!

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
I would not bother with the usb at all. I would get a cheap 100mbit hub/switch. connect dreambox, router and pc to the hub/switch and away you go. You will probably find copying from dreambox to PC faster that way. Why keep moving the dreambox about. Put it under the TV where it is used and leave it there. I always find using ethernet only to be more reliable than usb anyway. Why do you suggest turning off dhcp on the dreambox. If the router supports fixed ip's you can fix an ip for the dreambox so it is always at the same address.

Make sure you have an ADSL filter on each phone in the house. Do not cascade them if you have those crappy phone extensions with a plug on one end and a socket at the other. I have seen this and it stopped the ADSL from working. The best solution is an ADSL master socket front - available from cpc.co.uk. You place the router near the master socket and you dont need those horrible filters dangling about for the dog to eat or kids to pull. The least connections the more reliable your system. This is the way BT used to install ADSL before the 'wires only' type connections appeared.

Neil

georgebr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
guys hi again i appreciate your replys,the problem here is that this bt router blocks ports 4000 to 4020 tcp.so sometimes my dreambox will work for 10 min and stops or will never work at all,i think the router times out on the ethernet port.when i ping the tcp ports 4000 to 4020 it works fine its weird this bt 205 is a very bad modem if you guys have expericenced anything like this and solved the problem please reply to me.
thx

neethan30

Reaction score
georgebr said:
guys hi again i appreciate your replys,the problem here is that this bt router blocks ports 4000 to 4020 tcp.so sometimes my dreambox will work for 10 min and stops or will never work at all,i think the router times out on the ethernet port.when i ping the tcp ports 4000 to 4020 it works fine its weird this bt 205 is a very bad modem if you guys have expericenced anything like this and solved the problem please reply to me.
thx

Try disabling you window xp firewall or any firewall that you might be running..