help on sky £150 freesat offer in uk

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I need to clear my mind on this;
If i Buy the sky freesat offer from sky at £150 which they say include sky box, dish, freesat card and installation, will I be able to use that sky box in europe zone.???
I mean am uk based myself and i don't mind having the stuff installed at my uk address. But anytime I travel to Italy (my country), I want to take my sky box there and watch it there as well.
The core question is,the sky box that sky sells as part of the £150 freesat offer, is it compatible for use in europe zone???
thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes it is - although you will lose some of the weaker channels in Italy unless you have a big enough dish. (All the Astra 2D stuff will likely be difficult for starters)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, it should work fine. The main problem would be that you normally don't get to choose the model of box you get (unless you have a friendly installer) so you might end up with one that has a slightly less sensitive tuner than others. But depending on your dish in Italy this might not be a problem.

EDIT, beaten to it...

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks guys,
I forgot to mention that I only want the freesat channels, as I don't want to subscribe to any contract.
In such case may I still able to install it in uk , then on occasion take only the sky box and watch in italy all the sky freesat channels??

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes with the proviso that theres a lot of free channels on Astra 2D - for that you may need a very big dish indeed depending on where in Italy your place is.

benfica1969

amigo dos amigos
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tv,Bimbo da Bosta
My Location
london
Yes It does work because i myself has tried it in portugal when i went on holiday and al channels were compatible from the ones in england so feel free to do so urself. So if it works in Portugal (Europe) it should do so in Italy seeing how it is a part of europe eswell!

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks guys,
can u tell me also why if i buy the freesat card from sky they say it lasts 3 years, while from indipendent retailers they say 2 years.???
Also If i buy the card from sky direct, is the card usable only on 1 skybox, or it works in any other skydigiboxes ???

benfica1969

amigo dos amigos
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tv,Bimbo da Bosta
My Location
london
It only works on the box it came with, any other box then no it is not compatible.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
That’s how it used to be for BBC channels, and how it still is from Sky premium ones. But for FTV ones now, once activated it will work in any (Sky) box.

As for the difference in years quoted from various suppliers, that’s probably just because no one knows how long it will be until the cards are next changed. If you get freesatfromsky then they are more likely to give you a new one for free than from an independent reseller if cards are changed soon.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
rob_drani said:
Hi Guys,
I need to clear my mind on this;
If i Buy the sky freesat offer from sky at £150 ....
I think you've asked the same question in a number of threads.
The answer is the same as you've had before, you can take the box to Italy but you'll need a very big dish as there are very few free channels on Sky that are receivable on a small dish. You won't get things like More4 for example, and no ITV or BBC unless the dish is large.
If you order Freesat from Sky in the UK, you should get a new Sky receiver which should be the current design. The Amstrad standard box is currently the best of the three brands manufactured.
You could get a new or nearly new receiver and card by looking on e-bay for a lot less money.
Unless you are going to pay for a large dish to be installed (you've said previously you are in central Italy- does this mean Rome area?) you are going to be very disappointed with the freesat channels on a smaller dish, just Channels Four and Five, Sky Three, a few music channels, dozens of dross channels and Sky news.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
He wont get More 4 anyway on a FreesatfromSky card - its a pay channel!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
benfica1969 said:
It only works on the box it came with, any other box then no it is not compatible.

Nope - once activatyed Freesatfromsky cards can be used in any box. Its only the Premium stuff (sports & movies) thats tied to a particular box.

benfica1969

amigo dos amigos
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tv,Bimbo da Bosta
My Location
london
Analoguesat said:
Nope - once activatyed Freesatfromsky cards can be used in any box. Its only the Premium stuff (sports & movies) thats tied to a particular box.
thanks analoguesat for the information i dident know about that.