help picking a new receiver

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im looking for a little advise on choosing a new receiver to replace my xtreme pvr. i got my original xtreme in june and it worked fine for a few months the it started playing up. i sent it back 4 weeks ago and it was replaced last saturday. almost from the start it started playing up. im fed up with it now and im going to send it back and ask for a refund. using the xtreme i found it to have 2 major flaws (apart from the ones thast caused me to send it back). you cant watch another channel while recording and you cant upload any movies recorded via the hard drive to your pc. is there a machine out there with a magic cam that can fullfill my needs ?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
I exchanged my Xtreme for a Topfield PVR4000 and have never looked back. The new PVR5000 has a built in USB 2 port.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
does the usb port allow you to transfer your movies onto yur pc? how long does the transfer take?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Yes, it does allow transfer, thats what its intended for.

I don't know how long it takes to transfer as I have the older PVR4000 which doesn't have USB. It should be fast though as its USB2. This basically means that the USB2 bus can push data through faster than a hard drive can supply it so speed will not be an issue.

Which country are you in? If you are in The Netherlands and can read Dutch there is a Topfield forum here : http://www.sat4all.com

Topfield Korean site is here : http://www.topfield.co.kr/

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Any of the main brands are good, just depends on how much you want to spend.

What about this......Technomate.TM 8000,
120gb HD, built in MagicCam, 2CI slots......£429.

See www.myersat.com

Buy now and get a free sat finder.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im in scotland but my dutch is better than my korean. are you in holland? did you buy the topfield in holland or the uk?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
doggy said:
im in scotland but my dutch is better than my korean. are you in holland? did you buy the topfield in holland or the uk?

Yes, I'm in Holland which is also where I bought the Topfield.

P

palco1603

The technomate is a waste of time, tried 8000 ci with too many flaws. Topfield is the best receiver with 2 tuners/ hd, but my 4000 doesn't have usb. The new 5000 does and i will have one when the time is right. I know all about extreme boxes but the new hornet has usb but unsure if it is the same as other extremes yet. Getting a topfield receiver in the uk is very difficult, i had to learn some basic german but got it sent on 48hr delivery from a german supplier for £24 +£318 for the box inc 80gb hd. Who said we live in rip off britain was right. The manhattan hd receivers are quite good in operation but i had to scrap mine due to flash memory faults. If i were you I would wait 6 months or so to give the makers a chance to get their products working properly, that includes echostar !!! £700???

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
I also tried Manhattan but had problems and took it back. In fact I tried three receivers in the space of couple of weeks. First the Xtreme then the Manhattan and finally the Topfield 4000PVR. I ended up keeping the Topfield, its the best. :-righton

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i like the sound of the topfield but how can i get my money back? how did you manage to get your money back? did you buy the topfield in the uk? and how is the back up with it?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
doggy said:
i like the sound of the topfield but how can i get my money back? how did you manage to get your money back? did you buy the topfield in the uk? and how is the back up with it?

The dealer I bought the Topfield from (in Holland) has a fairly good return policy as long as you purchase a similar receiver (price wise) or one more expensive than the one you return. I am not sure about the Topfields support as I have never needed it. People claim that they do listen to there customers when it comes to feature requests and bug fixes. Topfield have regular firmware updates on Astra 1 and on the Internet.

hmadfai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4820 II, 1.1 motorised, Sky, Dragon, Matrix Rel. and Joker CAMs.
My Location
Cardiff
Razor said:
Any of the main brands are good, just depends on how much you want to spend.

What about this......Technomate.TM 8000,
120gb HD, built in MagicCam, 2CI slots......£429.

See www.myersat.com

Buy now and get a free sat finder.
Are there any on-line reviews about this receiver?

it seems VERY attractive on paper!