Help Pleae What System To Buy

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi Guys

i`m looking to buy a motorised sat system,but i don`t know what box to buy or what sized dish i would need.
I live in Milton Keynes in the uk.
I`m looking to pick up premiership football live on a saturday as well as ice hockey(nhl) and some of the mature content channels.
Can you pick these up for free or do you have to subcribe.
I`ve got about 500 pounds to spend.
Any links to wedsites that could explain sat systems to me would be helpful.
Also can anyone tell me what a fun card is.

bas

bas@spurs88.fsnet.co.uk

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
500 pound should get a nice starter system. You can get a nice CI receiver for £200 a 1.1m dish for £70, an LNB for £30 and a motor for £100.

Have a look here
http://www.wizardsatellite.com/

As for the fun card, there is not a lot out there for this card. The best card out now is the Tit card.

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
Razor said:
500 pound should get a nice starter system. You can get a nice CI receiver for £200 a 1.1m dish for £70, an LNB for £30 and a motor for £100.

Have a look here
http://www.wizardsatellite.com/

As for the fun card, there is not a lot out there for this card. The best card out now is the Tit card.
Thanks for the reply m8.i been speaking to my missus and she says i can up my budget to £850 providing she get her new kitchen any more recommedations on a system m8.
Also what a TIT card.

bas

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi Mkkid

A tit card is short for titanium which is used to program codes and keys on to. Personally at the moment I would buy a dragon cam and loader card. Still that's AFTER you get your system up and running.

PS I'm also moving this to a more appropriate section.

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
If you have a good knowledge of pc's, networks etc then go for a dreambox 7000-s.Some good info below.

http://www.dreambox.net.au/

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm with Lee on the Dreambox, plus perhaps a slightly bigger dish 1.2 metre, 36v motor and a V-Box to interface with the Dreambox.

Prepare yourself for a pretty steep learning curve. :D

PS. There are several good threads in the Dreambox section by members sorting out the capablities and teething problems of their new Dreamboxes.

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
Just ordered myself a Dreambox from goldwafers....now the fun starts :D

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi guys

I read your advice and also bought some sat mags and looked at the web.
I`m competnt on pcs but i have no knowlege of networking concerning the dreambox.
Question please what the difference between the Technomate and dreambox,what in your oponion would be the best to buy

Motorised dishes

Technomate 5500 cip receiver, 1.2m fortec star dish with 15kg heavy duty 1224 h to h motor,invacom professional 0.3 lnb for £489.95

Technomate 5500 cip receiver, 1.2m Channel master dish with 1224 h to h motor with 15kg heavy duty motor with a inavacom 0.3db lnb for ££669.95

THere is an option to buy inavacom 0.3db single c120 flange lnb,would it be worth it)

Dreambox 7000-s 1.2m fortec star/supermount system with 15kg 1224 h to h motor with invacom profesional 0.3db lnb with v-box for £599.95

You recommended getting a dragon cam and loader card,the dreambox comes witha dragon type cam,would this be enough?

Thanks again for your help.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Dreambox doesn't come with a dragon CAM, it emulates a CAM/CAMs, you don't need a huge experience of networking, just reading T_Gs guide would get you up and running.

The Dreambox and Technomate are like chalk and cheese, but the Technomate does have the advantage of having an inbuilt positioner, whereas you would require a V-Box type interface to control the motor if using the Dreambox.

Also have a look at the Dreambox prices from places like www.hm-sat.de, they are significantly cheaper than in the UK.

If you go for the Channel Master 1.2m, then having a matched feed horn and a C120 Invacom will pay dividends. :)

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
tHE DREAMBOX EMULATES THE DRAGON CAM,WOULD THAT BE OK,SO I DON`T HAVE TO BUY THE PROPER DRAGON CAM.
that german web site was good 319 euros,waiting for them to get back to me with postage,i hope they speak english.

bas

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
The dreambox on the german website,will it work in the uk.We are 240 and they are 220,i think.

bas

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I am running a dreambox from hm-sat, all European voltages are compatible with equipment sold in Europe. :)

Got my 7000s with 120gb hard drive for £305 delivered, there is a link to the carriage rates in a thread in the DB section.

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
hi thanks for that link Rolf ,i`m going to order dreambox with a 120 hd from germany.

As you alreay must have guessed i a man of many questions,the next one being getting a dish.

i`m looking at

1.2 fortec /supermount sysytem witha 15kg 1224 h to h motor invacom proffessional 0.3db lnb for £309.95

1.2 channel master haevy duty high gain dish with the same motor with invacom proffessional 0.3db lnb for £499.95

As you can see there is nearly a £200 pounds difference,is it worth buying the better dish.

Thanks again for your help

bas

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Does sound a big difference, but the Channel Master 1.2m is a nice dish, it probably comes with its own feedhorn (worth checking) and the C120 LNB is also a bit more expensive.

Remember that you will need a V-box to interface with the motor, they probably sell those on the German site as well.

Link to V-Box on UK site http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/vbox.htm

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
got a guy coming round next week to do a site survey,what questions should i ash him

bas

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
.... if he'd like a cup of tea...:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that there are too many questions you need to ask him, it is down to your gut reaction as to how good a job he will do.

mkkid

Reaction score
My Location
Milton Keynes
Guys

The Sat installer is coming round on Monday.Speaking to him on the phone he has never intalled a dreambox before,will the dreambox simply boot up
and find the free to air channels straight away once he has put the dish up or do you need to connect it to you computer first.
He was the only sat insatlleter listed in what sat and tv in Buckingshire(Milton Keynes) .He has done plenty of motorised systems though!

BAS

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Unless you hit any odd problems, it should be fairly plain sailing for an experienced engineer. The standard image is pre-loaded, and you don't need any computer connection to get a basic system up and running.

From what I remember (if it comes with OS V1.05 as mine did) it's not amazingly logical, but you just set up language options, motor/diseqc options (Latitude and Longitude - so get these ready...) and satellite settings. I think it pretty much forces you to scan at least one satellite to start with, so maybe Astra 1 or Hotbird would be a good place to start. Valid (but slightly out of date) transponder lists are present straight out of the box.

Once you've played with it for a few days, I would definitely get the official 1.08 image onto it, if not one of the 'aftermarket' images. Far superior, complete and stable if you ask me. Best done with a CAT5 patch or crossover cable and the 'root.cramfs' method if you have a HDD. Search on Google.

Don't forget your UK power lead!