Help please, can i get hardcore mature content on a sky digital set top box?

Thudufushi

Reaction score
With the standard mini dish? I basically would like to know what the easiest possible option is for getting some proper strength mature content?

Any help appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depending on where you are, the minidish should be just about OK for Asra 19.2 East, then all you need is the right equipment.

A receiver with a UCAS module embedded and perhaps a Titanium card and programmer might be useful.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Point the dish towards 30W and you will see a number of odd channels on the Sky box if you tune in 11.615H 27500 3/4

Thudufushi

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, this is over my head. Im not a dumb nut when it comes to IT but I find satellite stuff pretty complex without spending a lot of time to catch up. Can someone help in simple terms what box i could buy, without adjusting the current position of the minidish as I cannot access this where it is currently located.

And what is UCAS?

Thanks

Thudufushi

Reaction score
So no one knows if its possible to get this content on an unadjusted minidish in the North of england?

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
If you want mature content..You will have to move your dish....This is NOT a job for a novice.

If you move it ....You may loose all your TV...and will have to get a PRO to put it back.

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
Your best bet is to wait a little while. Hardcore is very likely to be legalised on UK subscription channels by the new year. You might also want to help things along by taking part in Ofcoms public consultation over broadcasting standards which is due this July. Further details available at www.ofwatch.org.uk or from me.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Paul....I removed your email address as it is possible to invite a lot of spam if you publish it in an open forum. Ppl can always contact you by clicking on your profile.

Anyone looking at the ofwatch web site should be aware that it contains liberal use of strong language.

I was interested in your statement about mature content becoming legalised on UK subs channels next year. Are there any facts to underpin that statement. Anyone who wants h/c mature content now should be aware that is quite easily available now. Why wait?

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
Jimbo, don’t worry too much about the email address (but thanks for the thought).

Concerning liberal use of strong language on the Ofwatch web site, I suppose it depends what you mean by strong language. There is certainly some very frank discussion, but its not used in an offensive way and is necessary to describe what is currently happening on adult satellite TV without resorting to nudge nudge wink wink - know what you mean - style communication. I doubt if there is anything that would offend visitors to an adult satellite forum, but I would admit that there is detailed talk of ladies parts.

I would agree that H/C is now fairly easily available if you want to put in the effort, but it’s not that obvious if you are unfamiliar with the intricacies of satellite TV, LNB’s, embedded UCAS modules and CAM’s as can be seen from Thudufushi’s comments in this thread. There’s also the issue of cost, if you are strapped for cash (and want to use your existing box/mini dish) then it might be better to wait and see if H/C does become available on it. Although if cost is not too big an issue then yes go for a foreign service now.

As for proof, I have to admit that I have no absolute proof, but there are a number of indications which when considered together lead me to that conclusion. Firstly in correspondence that I had with Patricia Hodgson (ITC CEO) last year she was unable to justify the position of the ITC and in the end had to rely on the Broadcasting Act requirement that “nothing be broadcast that offends against good taste or decency” to explain why the ITC did not allow R18 content. She must have known even then that the Communications Act would repeal this requirement. Then there’s the Communications Act itself:

To have regard in all cases to transparency, accountability, proportionality and consistency in regulatory activity (3-3a): the existing ban on R18 material is inconsistent with video regulation and the availability of foreign broadcasts in the UK and the lack of proscription by the DCMS. It is also disproportionate with respect to the available evidence of harm caused (the evidence used to justify the current ban has never been published by the ITC).

To have regard to the opinions of consumers in relevant markets and members of the public generally (3-4k): the ITC’s own surveys have shown repeatedly that at least 75% of the public think that “particularly explicit” content should be available to those who wish to see it. The BBFC found more people in favour of H/C being available than against by a wide margin in their recent survey and I don’t think that anyone (not even Ofcom) have any doubt what the consumers in “relevant markets” think.

Generally accepted standards must be applied (3-2e): R18 is a generally accepted standard and would be generally accepted by the viewers.

Ofcom are supposed to be the “light touch” regulator and they maintain that their regulation will be “joined up” (e.g. with the BBFC). They have already allowed the broadcasters to reinterpret the existing code without comment. TAC was severely reprimanded by the ITC for showing “unacceptably explicit anatomical details” (fruit bottoms :D ) in 2002 – these same anatomical details are now on show every night on some UK channels.

There’s more but it would appear that I have already ranted on for far too long. What reasons do you think there are for supposing that Ofcom will not lift the ITC R18 content ban?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Paul ....interesting points.

I was just warning members about the use of such words as 'ladies parts' as it is normally the practice on our site and similar sites to avoid their use. I can see that their use is in context of the discussion forum on ofwatch and I'm not one phased by it anyway.

Censorship of mature content has been relaxed over the last few years since the days when the Government were trying to proscribe 'foreign' mature content channels. Of course they could only stop the advertising and sale(?) of cards in the UK, not the transmission. Before they knew it there were too many to try to stem the tide. Tough on them ha ha.

Of course the powers that be can, and do, stop the transmission of such channels by companies under their aegus and I can't see this changing for some time. Why? It just seems to be endemic in the UK culture. Even so, would the TV companies be risking public opinion turning against them if they were able to broadcast h/c.

As far as cost is concerned, if the go ahead was given "next year" I reckon the cost would be quite high for a limited genre. (is there more than one?).

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
Jimbo, fair enough I will avoid using any problematic words here, although I might need to call on your assistance in how best to describe certain things if any detailed discussions take place ;) .

“It just seems to be endemic in the UK culture”, hmm… I’m not sure that I am entirely convinced by this argument! Fox hunting is endemic in UK culture but will surely disappear before too long. Church attendance was endemic but how many regularly attend today?

Would the TV companies risk public opinion turning against them? Public opinion is already on the side of H/C as demonstrated in the results of the BBFC survey and several other reports. If H/C were to be legalised tomorrow the public would be none the wiser until reports started appearing in the news and even then most of the public don’t care as long as they don’t have to watch it themselves (which they don’t).

Further evidence of change can be seen from Mediawatch who are now loosing members so fast that they will cease to exist in their present form within a year or two. I predict that when the change comes it will make front-page headlines in the Mail, there will be a few chat shows asking people their opinions on both sides and then it will disappear without trace after a week or two. When was the last time there was a news headline about H/C R18 on video?

As for the cost I would imagine it would be cheaper to broadcast H/C at least in the short term. There is a very large amount available now, much less re editing would be required for the UK market and many companies e.g. Playboy already broadcast their own H/C content in Europe. I recon if the go ahead was given for the 1st January we would see H/C content on the 1st January or at the latest by the morning of the 2nd.

If the Government really wanted to stop UK services from broadcasting H/C it would have been relatively easy to add a clause in the Communications Act somewhere stating that R18 content could not be broadcast, or similar.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Ofcom's report on their findings will make interesting reading in the autumn. Looks as though they will have to 'deal' with xplicit on 984 before then though. I haven't seen it but I gather it's pushing the boundaries. Have you watched it Paul?

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
Yes I subscribe to Xplicit at the moment, but I might change to TAC to monitor developemnts there in the future. Basicly its wall to wall unexceptably explicit anatomical details. The stronger full R18 type content is not realy shown or at least not properly/fully.

I doubt if Ofcom will do anything unless anyone realy goes OTT and clearly breaks the programme code. My guess is they would rather be dealing with the BBC, and TV mega mergers than micro managing mature content.