Help please - Signal Quality Low on Encrypted Channels on hotbird

T

thewarrior

I have a problem, which is really confusing me. I moved my fixed 80cm dish to provide an adequate pictures on hotbird (Signal Level 80% and Signal Quality 60%), however, after a few days both the signal level and quality seem to degrade to 22% and 0% respectively on encrypted channels. But, free access channels have a good signal level and qulaity percentage - 80% each. If l leave my sat receiver on the encrypted channel, after a few hours, the Signal level pecentage slowly rises to about 50% and Signal Quality goes to 30% - which is adequate to view encrypted channels.

I have moved my dish again recently and fixed it firmly into place, however the same problem prevails....

I am using a Humax 5400 reciever, but l still am puzzled to why the encrypted channels seem to lose their signal in a matter of days, once the dish is re-aligned correctly.

any ideas to resolve the problem would be gratefully appreciated,

thanks in advance,
tw.

BGonaSTICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Never heard of that. Possible that your receiver or LNB is going west? Soggy coax?

It sounds to me like it's more of a coincidence. The encryption shouldn't make any difference. Transponders transmit at different power levels.

Sounds like an odd one.

Tried a different receiver?

STICK

T

thewarrior

thanks for the response, Stick,

l will try another receiver later today, but yes, its a strange one, which l cant understand as well,

I did check the alignment and elevation, with a free-to-air channel when positioning the dish....and all seemed fine with the signal level and quality, reasonably high...But it was strange that the free-to-air channels had a much higher signal level and quality percentage than encrypted channels.

I will need to check the coax as well, l will make up a length and try this. However, the current coax seems fine on FTA channels...80% signal level and 70% quality.

thanks,

T

thewarrior

I have just tried another satellite receiver, and the Signal Level is 61% but the Signal Quality is 0%. This is weird, so l will have to change the coax now and see if that improves anything....

hope it does.....

BGonaSTICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
... or the LNB.... Good job all these bits are cheap!

T

thewarrior

Coax is actaully fine, which means that the LNB must be knackered.....