Help!!!...please!.....

ninjagordy

Reaction score
hi all......

right...im going banzia trying to get my motorised dish set up...i have no idea what to do...i have read the tutorials and cant really understand whats going on........i have an interstar dsr-8005ci premium receiver. a usals /diseq motor with a 80cm dish with 0.3 lnb, i also have a small cheap sat finder but have no idea what to do to set the thing up.

you will laugh at this but i cant work out where i am supposed to be pointing.

i have a fixed dish set at 19.2 east for astra but i cant work out how to get where its pointing with a compas. i know its pointing to the correct place but according to the compas its way off.this is definately pointing to astra as i have my skystar 2 ont this dish and its fine.

my position is : Ayr

55.468 -4.618 7 m

can anyone tell me if i need anything else or give me pointers without baffling me in to a frenzy!.

cheers all

gordon.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Set the lattitude setting on the motor body, it will either be a lattitude or elevation setting, if the later, you will need to make the calculation according to the motor instruction manual.

The compass bearing for Astra 19.2 from your location is 152 degrees, for your due South satellite it is as shown below.

You need to be swinging your dish around by some 24 degrees and looking at 5W to find your due South position, that will be the highest point in the arc and your motor's reference point.

If you could stand behind the dish, you would be swinging it around to the right

ninjagordy

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Set the lattitude setting on the motor body, it will either be a lattitude or elevation setting, if the later, you will need to make the calculation according to the motor instruction manual.

The compass bearing for Astra 19.2 from your location is 152 degrees, for your due South satellite it is as shown below.

You need to be swinging your dish around by some 24 degrees and looking at 5W to find your due South position, that will be the highest point in the arc and your motor's reference point.

If you could stand behind the dish, you would be swinging it around to the right

looks like my dish is going to have to go on the chimney stack then!.......

if i turn my dish to the right i will hit the wall of the house......

19.2 is slightly right of right angles to my wall where the dish is mounted.....

if i put it on the chimney i will get away with the whole range i think.....

how do i set the elevation of the dish?.......also.....if the dish is moving to 1 west it will rotate to the right?...is this correct?.....

im finding it all a struggle im afraid!

regards

gordy!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi ninjagordy,
to find 1 deg west, from Astra, you need to move your dish to the right, as from behind the dish (Left if your facing it) and alter the elevation by tilting it backwards. To set your dish up as motorised, and follow the arc, there are two basic but essential rules.
1. Your pole must be perfectly vertical, even slightly out and you will miss the arc.
2. Set it up due South, which in this country (UK) is usually on Thor at 1 deg west.
The rest of the set up depends on your motor, mount and setup.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes
mickha

ninjagordy

Reaction score
Mickha said:
Hi ninjagordy,
to find 1 deg west, from Astra, you need to move your dish to the right, as from behind the dish (Left if your facing it) and alter the elevation by tilting it backwards. To set your dish up as motorised, and follow the arc, there are two basic but essential rules.
1. Your pole must be perfectly vertical, even slightly out and you will miss the arc.
2. Set it up due South, which in this country (UK) is usually on Thor at 1 deg west.
The rest of the set up depends on your motor, mount and setup.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes
mickha

thanks for the help lads......

i will keep you posted!.....

regards

gordy!