Help Polomint!!!!

bofh_dave

Reaction score
It's David again from Cadiz, Spain. I've just installed my digibox and had the satellite crew came and install my new 1.2 m dish. After they alligned the dish and hooked everything up, the gigibox said "no satellite signal received".
I know what your thinking, the dish is not alligned properly right? Well, the guys installing it hooked it up to a bigt yellow test box and showed me that they were indeed pointed at Astra bSkyb, whatever that means. Is that the right satellite?
Anyway, they said that I might have to leave the digibox on overnight and maybe it will pick up the signal... Sounds kinda funny to me.
Can you give me any words of wisdom that I can give these two guys? Anything would be highly appreciated...

Thanks, Dave

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Hi Dave,

If you do a signal test in the services menu and get no signal you are indeed getting no satellite signal.

As you saw the network ID on the installers signal meter it means that the dish is pointing in the right direction, if there is enough signal to show up on his tester then the digibox should also show some signal strength. Unless the digibox is faulty or it is not connected properly.

I wouldn’t laugh at the idea that it isn’t connected properly, just because there was a long enough core of the cable exposed to connect up to his meter doesn’t mean that it is long enough to connect properly with your digibox. There could also be a short between the core of the cable and the shielding, but these are really basic errors and the installer would have to be pretty incompetent to leave the job like that. you could try pulling the power from the digibox and unscrewing the satellite connection at the back and checking it looks okay (none of the shielding touching the core and about 1.5cm of core sticking out)

The ‘leaving it on overnight’ story is normally said when peoples cards don’t activate immediately as it can take up to a day for all channels to unlock if it was missed the first time. Unfortunately getting a no signal message is not going to fix itself, unless the box is faulty and magically comes back to life, which isn’t good as it could go off again by itself.

If at all possible try someone else’s digibox on your dish as soon as possible, if that works then your digibox is faulty or not connected properly, if the second digibox doesn’t work get the installer back because the dish has moved, or the LNB has died or something else like that needs checked.

Hope this helps :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dave, go into the installer's menu

Services, System Setup, 01select (press one after the other) and change the default transponder to 12207 V 27500 2/3 and you should get something.

You may not be able to see the default transponder 11778 as it is on the North beam.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Woops shouldn’t have missed that, but you really should be able to receive north beam with a 1.2m dish, so if you are getting south and not north beam then you should still hassle the installers until they get it right, or try it yourself.

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Dave,
Here in Egypt I some times don't get the EPG and all I get on the screen is "no satellite signal received". To see if you are getting a signal or it is pointing at the right bird you can try and put some frequencies in manually. Press services, system set up and then add channels. Punch in 12207 V then find channels, thats a good strong beam for us out here on the fringes, it's also free to air, you should get Sky News a few times. highlight it and press the yellow button then select. To view it press services, other channels, highlight the channel you want and select. You should see Sky news. If it works you can put in all the frequencies of the channels you want. It's a bit of a long way around but at least you can watch TV. Check from time to time to see if the box has downloaded the EPG. Look at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.shtml fot the list.
Good luck, Robbie.

bofh_dave

Reaction score
I've got the south beam! You were right, Polomint. The core was too short. Thanks so much.
I have another for you: I am receiving all south beam channels now but no north beam or 2D channels. I've been told that I am in a good position to receive them with a 1.2m dish. I need to now get a signal strength and digibox information to send to Skycards so they can activate my card. Here's the problem, It keeps saying "No Lock" with no signal at all in the system setup menu. If I can not get a lock on the satellite, how am I able to see the channels? I've changed the default transponder from 11.778 to 12.219 and rechecked the signal strength and quality and I briefly get a reading but after 5 or 10 seconds the "No Lock" appears again.
Also, my dish is pointing directly at a house about 8 meters away and it looks to me like it is blocking the signal path. Could this be why I'm not getting the North and 2D signals? I've asked the techs repeatedly to raise the dish to the roof so the house is not in the way but they keep telling me that it does not make any difference at all. Thanks for all of you help and I'm sorry I keep asking so many questions!!

David

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dave, change the default to the one I mentioned in my post above and this should get you a lock, what determined your selection of the frequency you mention, as I'm not aware of there being a transponder at that frequency.

With regard to the house, it will either block it or not, the elevation of the satellite is at 30 degrees or so you don't have to be too far away to clear it.

bofh_dave

Reaction score
rolfw,

I did change it to your frequency and I did get a lock but only for a few seconds. After that the signal reverts back to "No Lock". I am completely at a loss as I'm fairly new to this.

Even with a "No Lock" present, I can still view south beam channels. How is this so? I even seem to get ALL the channels like Discovery, Discovery Health, MTV, History etc. Don't I need to subscribe to get these channels? My wife and I are so confused now we don't know what to do...

Thanks for writing back.

Dave

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Are you changing the default transponder, or entering the frequency in Manual Tuning, it needs to be in the former.

bofh_dave

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Are you changing the default transponder, or entering the frequency in Manual Tuning, it needs to be in the former.
I am changing it on the default transponder. What's also strange is that sometimes it reverts back to the original 11.778 and sometimes it stays on the new setting 12.207. Either way, I can still view the south beam channels.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The digibox will always revert to 11778 when this signal is received.A 1.2 dish is too small in Cadiz.Measure your dish top to bottom and across.Do not measure the curve or the lip,hold the tape measure taught,you may find this dish is not even 1.2 in any direction...........brian

bofh_dave

Reaction score
dishdoctor said:
The digibox will always revert to 11778 when this signal is received.A 1.2 dish is too small in Cadiz.Measure your dish top to bottom and across.Do not measure the curve or the lip,hold the tape measure taught,you may find this dish is not even 1.2 in any direction...........brian
I just measured my dish and you are absolutely correct. It measures .95mm across and 102mm tall. I've been ripped off. I payed for a 1.2m dish!

Anyway, when I go to a north beam channel, it says no signal but on the bottom of the screen it has the current program and what's coming on next... What does this mean?

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The EPG is generated from the default transponder,What digibox do you have.........