Help! Remote Control extender for DM800? Anything available?

panosp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500, DM600, DM800
My Location
GREECE
Hi all,
sorry for this long post.
Here's my problem:

I used to have a DM500 for a couple of years. Six months ago I replaced it with a DM600.
Because the coaxial sat-cable and the Dreambox unit are in the living-room but I do most of my viewing in the bedroom,
I have been using a simple and cheap remote control extender quite happily for these 2 years. This way I have been able to control
the Dreambox while being in the bedrrom.

Here's my RC extender (keep in mind that I have tested it and it does work for ALL my equipment (pre-amp, DVD/Blu Ray players,.. etc) as well):

Company name: HQ
Product: IR-EGGS2 -
Link: _http://www.hqproducts.com/eng/products/security/accessories/page_1/artl_IR-EGGS2

Just 1 week ago I purchased the DM800. To my surprise the RC extender didn't work with the 800.
I noticed though that the RC of the DM800 is identical to the RC that the DM600 has.
(Both have identical codes on the sticker on the back battery cover: URC-39930RJ0-04 , 9RC32C-1038 )
Here's an image ofe my remote control(s): _http://www.falconsat.co.uk/images/DM7000_k.jpg

I also noticed that both RC work with the DM600 and the DM800 (the RC of the DM600 works with the DM800 and the RC of the DM800 works with the DM600).

How was it possible that both RC worked for both Dreambox units but the extender only worked for the 600??
I couldn't find a logical explanation; so I searched the local shops and tried 5 different products (completely different brands) of RC extenders.

Result: They all worked for the 600 but NONE worked for the 800!

Furthermore, they all shared the same effect (including mine): when I was pointing the RC (any of the 2 RC) directly to the 800 and pressed any button, the 800
responded. As soon as I moved the small IR emitter that all extenders have in front of the IR receiver of the 800 and pressed any button on the RC again, the 800
was not responding any more! (as if the small emitter was "masking" the RC's keypresses). Needless to say that this was NOT the case with the 600. All was working fine...

So I returned to the shops all 5 RC extenders and still kept mine. I did some more testing with mine and noticed that the base unit of the RC extender was receiving the keypresses
of the RC (it has a red led which lights whenever you press any button on the RC) but it was obvious that somehow it was not able to either "translate" it for the 800
or the 800 was receiving it but couldn't "understand it".

I decided to try an other extender: the Next Generation Remote Extender (_http://www.nextgenerationhomeproducts.com)
While waiting for it to arrive from the USA, I decided to contact Dream Multimedia about this issue.
We exchanged several emails and to keep this story short here's a quick summary (quotations are actually their wording):

1) initially they suggested changing "mode" in the RC and in the 800

"the problem might be that the dm800 uses another level for the ir-codes (there
are 4 existing). You can program the remote-control for the 4 levels and the box, too.
I believe that this will be the problem here, maybe the ir-extenders can just manage some, not all of the 4 levels...

I would propose you to change the level in the DM800 (please try 1-4).
You can do this like described here:
_http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/thread.php?threadid=5613&hilight=mehrere+dreamboxen+raum
by the telnet-commando
echo 2 > /proc/stb/ir/rc/mask0 for level 2
echo 3 > /proc/stb/ir/rc/mask0 for level 3 and so on..."

Unfortunately their suggestions had no effect.....

2) Later they replied:
"I got the information from our development that the ir-decoder of the DM800 works different to the other boxes, this will be the cause for your
IR-extenders not to work. There will come some changes for this in future but we will have to see if your ir-extenders will work then."

3) Although I asked several times about the actual changes in the 800's IR interpretation I never received a reply.
Their final feedback I have is:
"There will be some changes in the general handling of the ir-signals internally. Not for the reason that the ir-extender does not work but the
changes should affect thi as well then. But this has to be checked then. I am sorry we cannot offer you a direct solution so that we have to wait now."

Yesterday the "Next Generation Remote Control" arrived. It is trully a fantastic product! It works for all my appliances far more better than any RC extender
I have ever tried (regarding sensitivity and distance). BUT IT DOESN'T WORK FOR THE 800 (no surprise there I guess)!!
In fact, upon further testing it's not the 800's fault this time. This extender doesn't work for the 600 either.
Upon closer inspection the led in the base never ligts up no matter which button you press on any of the 2 RC. So this time this RC extender isn't able to capture any of the
key presses of the 2 RC. The base also has a "Function Switch selection":56Khz, 38Khz, and sensitivity lower. None of the 3 works.
(I have contacted the NGRC's company and waiting their suggestions)

As a final test, today I tried this: using an old Marantz RC200MkII universal learning remote control (which has worked always fine for my other appliaances), I tried to teach it
some buttons from the Dreambox's RC. The Marantz failed completely. It couldn't capture any of the buttons!
But when after I pressed the "TV" button on the Dreambox RC and then any button it could learn all! So this can only mean that the "Dream" button sets the RC in a different mode
than the TV button.
During these 2 years I had never realized that the Dreambox remote controls can't be replaces by universal learning remotes. That's really bad...

So, after 1 week of endless trials and testing I feel exhausted. I have simply run out of ideas.

Here's the bottom line:

1) some extenders "capture" the IR transmissions but fail to "feed" them to the 800.
2) some other extenders can't "capture" the IR transmissions at all...
3) Dream Multimedia doesn't have a solution and from their tone of replies I don't feel like they really care to give a solution in the near future
4) what is so damn special with the Dreambox Remote Controls anyway?
4) IS THERE ANY EXTENDER OUT THERE THAT WORKS FOR THE 800???

THIS IS REALLY EMBARASSING....PEOPLE HAVE LONG AGO GONE TO THE MOON....
IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THIS BOX TO CONTROL IT FROM AN OTHER ROOM?

Please, if anyone has any ideas let me know...

Sorry again for this long post.
Regards,
Panos

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the Forum.

Please re-read The Rules: no live links and do not link to images - save them and upload them to the forum.

And please DON'T SHOUT.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum

If dream media do not know an answer it is unlikely that anyone here will have an immediate answer. You have to remember the DM800 is relatively new and therefore people's experience of them is limited especially those who are still saving up to buy one! I suspect most people will actually get bored before reading your complete post I know I almost did, but in reality I suspect the answer was in DM's reply and they do not at this moment in time know the answer, but will probably have someone looking at the problem in due course.

gerard64

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000/DM500/DM800/UFS910/Nokia 9200
My Location
Netherlands
Alright, here is my story. I have the very same problem, but managed it to make it a bit workable. We use the IR Control Pro 8 from Marmitek, which is a great device (it is not wireless by the way).

I had the same problem so I thought it might be the plastic front of the case that blocks to much of the IR. I tested it by putting the IR LED very near to the IR eye in the DM800. It appeared to be working, so I thought I had found the problem. I took the drill and made a whole in the front so I can put the IR LED in it, making it positioned right before the eye in the DM800.

I must say it improves, but the problem isn't gone. We can now use the RC and we need to press the buttons longer for it to work. It does work. But not like it should.

About setting the code from all to 1-4: I tried that and one night it worked like a blast! So I thought I had it solved. The next day it didn't work anymore. Still I think it can improve it. So I need to try more on this.

Good luck.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
how far,is the range,of the new dm 800 remote?
my dm 800 remote,has a very low signal range,iam using the wirless Av Videotransmiter,from the german company technisat called skyfunk 3

it also,transmit with a sender,the Ir Signals,into another room including sound and video,there are also profestional repeaters,that has a very long range,maybe the comple house,but i never tested any,i only know that the,exists:)

panosp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500, DM600, DM800
My Location
GREECE
Turok said:
Hello!
how far,is the range,of the new dm 800 remote?
my dm 800 remote,has a very low signal range,iam using the wirless Av Videotransmiter,from the german company technisat called skyfunk 3

it also,transmit with a sender,the Ir Signals,into another room including sound and video,there are also profestional repeaters,that has a very long range,maybe the comple house,but i never tested any,i only know that the,exists:)

Do you mean that with the Skyfunk you are able to actually control the DM800 from a distant room? Does it really work?

pya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 HD
My Location
Belgium
I am happy with the Pronto 8200 and it works with DM800, with some restrictions.

I had to learn some codes from the original remote because the Philips database codes were not ok.
Also, the place where to put the IR emitter is critical.
And... when the red light form DM800 is flashing (when recording), the IR reception is tricky !! Why did they put this red led so close from the IR receiver ?!?!
Other problem : I can't find the discrete ON/OFF codes for the DM800 (Power toggle is ok, but not convenient with macros).

Should I modify the DM800 xml file with the IR functions, and how ?

patsy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a dm800 dreambox
PC with Intel CPU Pentium E2200 DualCore CPU
My Location
Lancashire
I am having issues with my dm800 remote extender, dont know if this helps

_http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:QLPVtUK3mzUJ:forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message%3Fboard.id%3Dremote_software%26thread.id%3D5195+dreambox+remote+extender&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=uk&client=firefox

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
@patsy: welcome to the forum but please re-read the rules.

Did you read post #2?

salomao

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat
My Location
Portugal
Hello Panosp

Just want to let you know that I found a solution!

I had the same exact problem but foun a great IR extender that does the job!

Please PM me

Greetings

Salomao

panosp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500, DM600, DM800
My Location
GREECE
Hello salomao!

I can't find a way to PM you so I am writing here.
Finally, someone with a solution!
I have been mad with Dream Multimedia who can't seem to find a solution for several months now. Hence I have been unable to operate the DM800 from anywhere else than the living room.

What brand and which model is the IR extender you found??

Regards,
Panos

salomao

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat
My Location
Portugal
Hi Panos

I've been able to control my DM800 with this model:

_http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/televes-digidom-remote-extender-p-163.html

Hope it works for you!

Regards

Salomao

patsy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a dm800 dreambox
My Location
Lancashire
I had problems with my maplins remote extender but it been ok since i re flashed it with NewNigma2, But when i am in the same room as my dreambox i have to turn off the extender or move the extender away cos it blocks the signal of my remote. hope this helps some one

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
yes,Skyfunk 3 transmit every remote signal!
there are also system avalible form thomson,where you have a camera build in ,so you can watch also another room including sound,on your television scrreen wireless:)

in the meantime i have the dm 800 and i canot confirm,that the remote controll is not working

my dm 500 (clone)bought on ebay,remote works perfectly on dm 800 and via versa!
looks like,that the clones,maybe use the same technical components,then the dm 800 in the remote itself!

panosp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500, DM600, DM800
My Location
GREECE
Today I received the Televes remote extender as advised by Salomao.

( _http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/televes-digidom-remote-extender-p-163.html )

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I already have a dozen of extenders here that don't work with the DM800 so the Televes will be happy to be friends with the rest of the group.

Are you 100% sure it works with your DM800 Salomao?

Because with mine what it actually does is the following:

press any button on the RC and nothing gets transmitted via the RE.
If I keep pressing though a button on the RC (without letting go) for 2 or more seconds, then -and only then- the actual signal gets transmitted via the RE.

This cannot be characterized as a "working solution" though as it is virtually imossible to do anything with the RC anyway (I tried for example typing a channel number like '237' and it was simply impossible).

Turok: what about the Skyfunk 3? Does it actually work? Do you own one?
Please give us some actual feedback.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Hello!
currencly i cannot tested,because my skyfunk 3 ,is fault now,i must buy a new one!
there was also skyfunk to the older modell,with much bigger size,and very good range,!
i dont understand,why,the transmision,of remote signals,that forwarded 1:1 over the sender should not work,
i tested many man remotes,and all of them worked,with out any problems,send pm,when you want skyfunk,this is the best and cheapest solution ,it always worked,witout any problems!
you have a swtich 1.2.3,and you can select the channel,you want to send,and a separate,infrarot sender,and receiver!

witch would,mean,when you have 2 or 3 skyfunks,you can,watch,in 3 difrent rooms,the same program,at the same time,,when you have more then 3 skyfunk systems,you can watch,more then one programm simultansly in difrent rooms!:)

re2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dswedwed
My Location
wedewd
Mr Salomao just selling this shitty extenders and telling us bullshit.

I've bought this crap too and trying connect without success.'O'-red

salomao

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat
My Location
Portugal
I just wanted to be helpfull. I'm sorry that you considered my help that way.

I assure you that my digidom actually WORKS with my DM800!!!

Maybe you have to find the right position to the IR receiver. Mine is about 1 m away from the DM and it's not facing the DM. its position is about 45º to the DM.

Not working perfectly, but good enough for me!

patsy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a dm800 dreambox
My Location
Lancashire
I had no problems after re flashed it with NewNigma2, not sure why but works great now

panosp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500, DM600, DM800
My Location
GREECE
patsy:

Can you be a little bit more specific?
Which version did your 800 run BEFORE re flashing?
What problem(s) did you have BEFORE re flashing? Which RC extender were you using?
Does this extender work AFTER re flashing? If yes, which version did you use to re flash?