Help required for new system

Keithb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No SAt other than sky as yet
My Location
whitby North yorkshire
I am looking to setup a motorised system from scratch and would appreciate any impartial advice as to what is the best kit to look out for. I live just outside of Whitby, North Yorkshire and currently subscribe to Sky. I would like to set up with a system that will not date to quickly and the equipement should be compatible with a sony HX900 DVD recorder if possible. I am new to this, so feel vunerable to "salesmen" that is if i can find one to come to this part of the world.

Is there a decoder that will allow me to view the various sats as well as sky or should i keep the sky system seperate (it is my intention to drop sky and just keep the free to air).

Is there a reciever that will allow me to watch one channel whislt recording another?

Sorry if this has been debated before.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Keithb and welcome to the forum, first bit of advice is leave the sky system as is and totally separate.

For the motorised system, the type and size of dish and motor will depend on what you wish to receive and how exposed the dish location will be.

Twin tuner receivers in the hobby market are not too numerous, but there are some superb single tuner receivers with hard drives, again it will depend on what you want to receive and your level of knowledge as to which is best for you.

There are several threads asking very similar questions in the Digital Systems section, may be worth a read there.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive installed the Topfield 5000 PVR (now superceded to the 5500) and its a brilliant twin tuner box. As Rolf says its best to leave Sky completely separate (meaning two dishes) but I suppose once you find all the great channels on the steerable system, you might drop BSKYB completely)

Keithb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
whitby North yorkshire
Hallo Rolfw and thanks for the welcome. I will track down the threads and read. My knowledge is very limited hence joining and asking the question. What do i want to watch, rugby union and films in the main.

The dish will be (preferably) wall mounted on a NNW facing wall either directly fixed to the wall or pole mounted to provide 360 degree rotation. I have unobstructed field of view (advantage of living in the middle of nowhere).

Thanks for the reply.

Keithb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
whitby North yorkshire
Hi Channel hopper thanks for the suggestion, i have only been directed towards echostar kit by the locals, whose sytems were installed by some one who has since disapeared!

Can now at least compare with something else. i notice in What satellite, that the TF has no cam slots, is this important?

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
keithb if your thinking of paying for a new reciever then i would definatly go for one with a cam slot as there are advantages of being able to gain more chanels but this depends on your level of enthusiasm and your willingness to spend!!hope this helps with one of lifes little headaches!

battlepriest

Reaction score
hi i am trying to upgrade the topfield 4000 pvr firmware via rs232 serial cable? does anyone know how to do this

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
battlepriest said:
hi i am trying to upgrade the topfield 4000 pvr firmware via rs232 serial cable? does anyone know how to do this

Don't hijack another person's thread. Start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Keithb said:
Hallo Rolfw and thanks for the welcome. I will track down the threads and read. My knowledge is very limited hence joining and asking the question. What do i want to watch, rugby union and films in the main.

The dish will be (preferably) wall mounted on a NNW facing wall either directly fixed to the wall or pole mounted to provide 360 degree rotation. I have unobstructed field of view (advantage of living in the middle of nowhere).

Thanks for the reply.
All the satellites are in the southern sky, so you may want to revise your wall decision if poss. Otherwise you'll need enough height to see over the roof. You'll need less than 130 degrees rotation in total.

Keithb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
whitby North yorkshire
Hi BGonaSTICK thanks for the reply, comments duly noted.