Help required with water in LNB

loftyj

Reaction score
Hi All
Have got myself a slight problem and could do with some insight.
My dish set up is a 1.2mt fitted with a C120 0.3 invacom, and feedhorb that is made up of a 120 flange welded to a 22mm tube that is fitted with a plastic cap into which a number of holes have been drilled. On Thursday we had a full day of heavy rain, and in the evening I lost all the horizontial signals, the vertical were OK. Today got round to going down garden to check dish and LNB and discovered water had run down feedhorn into LNB, removed same stripped off feedhorn and cleared water from LNB and dried them out. Replaced same and made new joint on cable to be safe. Switch on no horizontal full signal on vertical, after about half an hour the vertical signal slowly faded away. Switched of reciver to have lunch and when I returned same thing again but this time only about 10 minutes of full signal befor fade out.
Has anyone out there had this happen to them, I suspect its the LNB but wanted to check in case its a problem with the reciver (Echostar 2210).

Thanks loftyj.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Take the LNB off and dry it out properly in the house, may well perform properly after that.

loftyj

Reaction score
@ rolfw.
Thanks tried that it sat on radiator for a couple of hrs.
Think I will just order a new LNB. Do you know of a feedhorn that is watertight instead of an open tube.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that a lot of them have a membrane across the end, clingfilm would probably work, I've used a carrier bag before, fastened with electrical tape. :)

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
As Rolf mentioned mine has a membrain across the end.... I presume from what you say your dish is Off-Set mine is a 1.2 mtre prime focus dish.. in addition to the membrain and the latest rubber boot on the cable entry, ive always covered my LNB with a plastic 200 ml pop bottle which has kept it perfectly dry for 12 years now....... (it looks impressivly professional as well!!)

Dont know of you could utallise the same with yours if its off-set though.
you may have to resort to a new LNB... shame though.... as its about the best LNB around these days
john

caretaker

Reaction score
I found the best way to keep water off my LNB is by using a plastic plant pot and cover the LNB and securing with duck tape.

greg-h

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
60 cm dish-sky
applo analouge reciver
grundig digital reciver
thinking of buying technomate 5000ci or
manathan plaza 300-ir
My Location
cork county ireland
dont bother byuing a new lnb get a drill and carefully drill through it i mean carefully leave it inside for a few days go to youre local model shop buy some epxoy resen leave it set lnb perfect worked for me

loftyj

Reaction score
Thanks for reply's, solved by doing as told by she who must be obyed ( learnt not to argue after 45 years can't win anyway) and got a new LNB so everything is up and running, will keep old LND and try it in a couple of months to see if will dry out.