Help required

englishman64

Reaction score
Now Viasat has gone t**s up I appear to be snookered
I have a Humax 5400, 6 in 1 fun card and 1 metre motorised setup.
There appears to be no decent channels left for me.
I assume I will need to go the 'Cam route' but before I fork out some cash I would like advice.
Basically the following
1. What's the best Cam
2. What card do I need with it
3. What channels can I hope to receive (I'm looking for recent movies, Saturday Footie and maybe a bit of naughty stuff)
4. I currently have a VX Programmer; will this be of any user or will I need a new programmer (If so what one)
The dishes I can pick up on my sat are 5E, Hotbird and Astra (Can't get Hispat as House roof in the way)
Cheers
Mick

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hopefully it is a 5400 that can be patched.

Can you see satellites further East (Turksat ?)

englishman64

Reaction score
I think the furthest east I go at the min is 28 deg (Astra)
However I didn't set it up and as the roof only comes into play on west facing sat's I assume I can get more
This leads me to more (as usual) questions
Are there any decent sat's beyond Astra and if so what card / cam do I need.
I also would like to know how complicated it is to patch my Humax 5400Z
Even if the patch works what extra channels do I get.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Do you not think half the fun is getting as much or as many as you can. Since a patch is free and just a question of loading it on then the other half of the fun will be finding out what it can do. You can't do any harm (I hope) but 'fiddling around' is what this hobby is all about surely.:)

englishman64

Reaction score
You are right Jimbo
But the old saying 'a little knowledge in dangerous' comes into play here
I haven't got the foggiest how to start patching my Humax
Do I need to attach my PC to it via some sort of laplink cable.
I am sure I have heard on this forum (apoligies if I am mistaken) that you can a**e up a patch and end up in bother
I was hoping for an idea of what channels I may get post patching to see if it's worth the 'risk'

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hmm....well. There's Hellas Sat2 at 39E and Eurasia Sat at 42E...free stuff available on those. Depends on your likes/dislikes I suppose. You could look on the Lyngsat web site for info.

I've not got a humax so not patched one but looking at the files and instructions on Toecutter's site, looks fairly straightforward to me.