HELP Satellite positioning SNR AGC BER

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Hi, my apology for these very basic questions.

My hardware: Dreambox 5620s, 90cm fixed dish, 0.3db MTI blue line LNB, 3 LNB brackets (1 in use but intend to add more LNBs).

I cannot lock ANY transponder
frown.gif
. I am using my neighbour's sky dishes as guide and there is one next to my pole mount. My dish's view to the south (and south west) is clear but there is a double storey house on the south-east and north-west of the dish. I live in Belfast.

My pole is 10ft high and is fixed on the wall
smile.gif

The SNR is in the range of 44-46, but the AGC is in the range of 70-90%.

I am getting a new LNB (just in case the new one I bought on Ebay is f**ked).

Any advice on how to lock on any transponder (Astra, Hotbird, Eutelsat W2)?

I noticed a white cap on the LNB. Was wondering whether I should remove it? (Sounds very stupid, this question...I am laughing at myself).

Cheers M8s.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Update: I could lock on Astra and Hotbird using a standard sky dish in my friend's house.

I feel there is a problem with my dish (the dish itself, LNB, or its position).

Will sort this out...

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
You need a satellite meter to position your dish. I would not even try without one. Why is your dish on a 10 foot pole? - is it to clear trees etc. The shorter the pole the better. long pole wobble in the wind causing loss of signal.

Neil

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The other option for positioning is an analogue receiver, probably a couple of pounds at a boot sale and great for dish alligning on 19 and 13 East. :)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
I have a Pace mss1000 and a 500 with positioner in the attic somewhere
( 3 phillips gold boxes and a d2mac. Probably a spare sky box as well :) )

But I manage ok with a cheap meter and the Dreambox ( I must cut that tree so I can get round to 30 west )

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Guys
On the subject of aligning dishes: I have never used those meters, the only thing I used is half a kilo of finely ground Rolfadvice, a mobile phone and a 10 year old boy.
What you need to do is choose a station on your dreambox on the sat you want to use. Then go to the roof and have someone downstairs with a phone watch the signal bars. If you got a reference of a dish on a house nearby that's enough. All you need to do is move the dish a short amount each time, and also up and down. With a 90 cm dish you should get a strong signal even when the dish is not perfectly alighned. Once you are near the signal bar will start to move, then you need to fine tune it.
I have done so on many occasions, it is not a problem.
SO:Start on one position where you think it is (relying on other dish as reference.) and mark this position with a felt pen. Move the dish up and down slowly. If nothing, then move the dish a mm to the right. Again up and down. If you think you are way out of position compared to the reference dish, then go back to your original marking and try the other way. If your dish and LNB is ok, you will find it!

TG