Help setting up Sesat-Please

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Hello Peeps:D ,

I have a Fortec Star 5100CI Ultra, 88cm dish Fortec H to H motor and Fortec LNB.

I am having difficulty setting up Sesat 36E. I am located in S Yorkshire. The satellite is already listed (from factory reset). I can go to Hellas Sat 2 39E in antenna settings (which i managed to create and scan as it wasn't listed @ factory reset) and receive a signal. I then select Sesat 36E in Antenna settings and choose a known transponder frequency for Sesat (from lyngsat), but when i nudge west I can't get a signal to register. I am receiving all other sats installed from turksat to thor (as far west as i can go), but am unable to get this one.

Can anybody help please? Can I try USALS instead of 1.2 positioning. If so how would i do it?

Yorks :-newb

H

Happy-Buddah

Try

12511V, 4340
12520H, 4340
12533H, 4340
12595V, 3030
Lowish symbol rates so might take a few seconds for the receiver to lock.

Best to use USALS, your system seems to be set up OK if you can get from 42*east to 1*west so usals should work. You need to put in your Long and Lat for USALS to work.
Sesat is not one of the strongest satellites received here but you should get something with your set up. keep trying, all part of the trials and tribulations of this hobby.
H-B

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Thanks for the help:D.

I will try the suggested frequencies.

On the USALS point, if i enter my lat. and long. do i need to do anything else, or should it locate automatic. Are there any other settings i need to change or buttons i need to press?

Yorks:-newb

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you can find Hellasat then you should be able to judge the distance to Sesat bt looking at the dish.

There are issues with the time it takes to lock into low symbol rate transponders with most of the Fortec/Manhattan receiver clones, just give it a bit of time. If still nothing, then make sure there is nothing in line with the dish.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Channel Hopper said:
If you can find Hellasat then you should be able to judge the distance to Sesat bt looking at the dish.

There are issues with the time it takes to lock into low symbol rate transponders with most of the Fortec/Manhattan receiver clones, just give it a bit of time. If still nothing, then make sure there is nothing in line with the dish.

Thanks CH:) ,

I'll give it another go. Maybe i need to wait a few mins between nudges.

Yorks :D :-newb

H

Happy-Buddah

Hi Yorks

Not too sure about setting up the Fortec, mine has been sent off to a better home and I no longer have the handbook. From memory, as long as your reference point (due south) is stored, by putting in your Lat and Long in USALS the dish should steer to the correct position for the satellite selected.
I have just carried out a quick re-scan of that satellite with my receiver
12531H, 4340 and 12707V, 4340 are the strongest received signals at this location.
As both CH and I mentioned, low symbol rates take a little longer for the receiver to lock up on to.
Best wishes for your continued searching.
H-B

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Happy-Buddah said:
Hi Yorks

Not too sure about setting up the Fortec, mine has been sent off to a better home and I no longer have the handbook. From memory, as long as your reference point (due south) is stored, by putting in your Lat and Long in USALS the dish should steer to the correct position for the satellite selected.
I have just carried out a quick re-scan of that satellite with my receiver
12531H, 4340 and 12707V, 4340 are the strongest received signals at this location.
As both CH and I mentioned, low symbol rates take a little longer for the receiver to lock up on to.
Best wishes for your continued searching.
H-B

Thanks for going to the trouble H-B:D ,

User guide is next to useless - especially for a novice! I'll give it a whirl.

I will get there. I really will!

Yorks :-newb

H

Happy-Buddah

Hi Yorks

"Percy Verance" is the name of the game in this hobby, especially for picking up digital signals, a little bit easier on the analogue side.
If my memory is correct you can move the dish a bit in azimuth from the selected position to maximise the signal ie instead of 36* put in 36.2* or 35.8* when useing USALS.
Another dodge is to go to 39*east (Hellas) in disequ, input a couple of transponder details for 36*east and then nudge the dish west slowly until you pick up a signal. Stop the drive to the motor, set the receiver to then scan 36*east. You can go back later and remove the false transponder info for 39*east.
Happy hunting
H-B

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Hi H-B:D ,

Tried your recommended tp frequencies. Used 1.2 option but after no success decided to start from 42e and nudge west past Hellas Sat.

Got it first time!

I know there's not much on it, but if it's there, and i should be able to receive it, i've got to have it!

Thanks again. All good practice!

Yorks :-newb (In't milk brilliant)

H

Happy-Buddah

Well done, Percy Verance paid off in the end:D .

Now you need to move your dish so that you can pick up the satellites in the westerly direction.
Yes milk is brilliant but not the watered down semi skimmed or skimmed versions.
H-B

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Now that one is a bit more of a toughy, but i'm working on it.

I have an object obscuring my view beyond 1*west (which i shall refer to as ' next door's house').

My plan is to start from the roof down removing one item per night, ie tile, brick etc - my theory being that if i do it slow enough they may not notice!

I have done a rough calculation and have estimated that 'The Hispasat Project' should be completed by March 16th 2059. Here's to longevity!O-Ha

You peeps with your south facing properties, overlooking vast expanses of open countryside, just don't realise how fortunate you are!

Semi-skimmed for me I'm afraid. They do say that you don't miss what you've never had, but please don't tell me about all the marvellous programs available to the west of Thor.

Anything at all is better than lining ({})urdoch's pockets.

I think i need to get out a bit more :-ohmy

Yorks:D :-newb