Help sought! Faulty Motorised System

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hi there,
I have a Technomate 7100HD Receiver, with motorised 90cm Dish. Since Monday of this week I have been unable to watch any TV - this has happened on several occasions before!!

However the user manual doesn't give any advice as to how to rectify this problem!!

I have contacted the Installer, and he said to switch the Receiver Off and then On again - waiting for about 30 secs. This has worked in the past, however it doesn't work now!!!

The on screen message reads 'no signal' ??

On the satellite chosen there is an option to move, but when I use this nothing happens!!

Could anyone please advise me?? As I would like to be able to watch any TV again!!! I am pretty clueless - as normally I just switch on go to a selected satellite and scroll down to the channel I want to watch!!

Also could someone recommend someone to come round and set the receiver up properly, as I feel that there are many features and satellites that I'm not actually receiving but could quite easily??

MANY THANKS and your help and advice would be very much appreciated!!!!

Nicolas

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Is the dish moving at all? - set it to say 30W and have a wander outside to see if it is moving.

If it does move then see if the cable from the lnb to the moor has snagged and got pulled tight.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I`ve got a sneaky feeling that powering off and back on has some how wiped the USALS/Stored sats, my dreambox does it sometimes when I kill the power after a freeze

You might need to enter your Lat/Long in under USALS or GOTOxx settings

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hey Analoguesat,
Many thanks for your reply!!

No the dish won't move at all - and on screen the message reads 'moving to Arabsat' or what ever satellite I'm trying to look at!!

It worked on Monday and then Tuesday it was working until 21.30pm - I tried to move to another satellite and it just wouldn't work!! I couldn't view the satellite I was viewing or the one I tried to move the dish to!!???

Have tried all cables and checked back of TV and Receiver - all ok and Dish looks ok - all wiring looks ok too!

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hey Smoggy,

Blimey could that be the problem??

The guy who installed the system told me to do this when it hasn't worked before!!

How would I find out my Lat

/Long and put into settings??
smoggy07 said:
I`ve got a sneaky feeling that powering off and back on has some how wiped the USALS/Stored sats, my dreambox does it sometimes when I kill the power after a freeze

You might need to enter your Lat/Long in under USALS or GOTOxx settings

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Not quite sure why the thread got closed, but problem sorted now :D

These things happen occasionally :-righton

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I've never experienced any settings disappearing after a reboot or uncovenanted outage.

If it isn't the box, then you need to thoroughly check the cable connections at both ends (could be either an open circuit or a short circuit) and it's condition (not only physical damage, but also possible water ingress)

Edit: I see you've "tried all the cables" .......... what exactly did you do? At minimum the connectors should be removed and scrutinised for eg stray wisps of braid,

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hey Tivu,
Well I was so fed up with the receiver not working I left it switched off until Weds night, say about 20.00!!

So would that have any bearing on it???

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Shouldn't do ............. I turn off all my Sat Boxes (apart from a PVR) for a couple of weeks every time we go on hols. and they are good as gold.

I suspect something in the cabling.

However, you could prove out the system if you have another box of some sort, or can borrow one.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
nicolas46 said:
Hey Smoggy,

Blimey could that be the problem??

The guy who installed the system told me to do this when it hasn't worked before!!

How would I find out my Lat

/Long and put into settings??

enter your door number and postcode (or just your postcode) here _http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm this will tell you your lat/long

I wouldnt know how to enter them into the settings of your box though, maybe someone in the know can explain what menu you need to go into

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
What would happen if I put the receiver back to factory defaullt settings??

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hey Smoggy,
Have put in house number, name of road, village name, county, postcode and country - it brings up; For Astra 28.2 E
Astra 2A
Latitude = 53.0961, Longitude = -1.0039

Lat = 53 degrees, 5.8 minutes North
Long = 1 degrees, 0.2 minutes West
If you want to point a satellite TV dish at Satellite= 28.2 East orbit longitude

Beam elevation= 23.7, Azimuth= 147.9 (magnetic compass), Polarisation= -20.1

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Hey Guys,
Just off for some Dinner, so will be back in a while (incase I don't answer you)!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nicolas46 said:
What would happen if I put the receiver back to factory defaullt settings??

You lose all your settings, channel lists etc - it puts it back to a "straight out of the box" configuration

far78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital and Supreme Intelligent Dark Motor, TBS 6925 and Tevii S464 PC cards, TM5402 M1
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
Hit Menu, Installation, Satellite Setup. If USALS is selected, enter your latitude and longitude as you have found. I'd also check all limits are disabled too - ensuring your motor doesn't hit anything of course!.

If DiSEQC 1.2 is selected and the motor is not moving at all - even if you are attempting to move to Hotbird, which is traditionally memory position 1 on the motor - then the likelihood is the motor positions have been wiped at the motor itself or the motor is faulty.

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Analoguesat said:
You lose all your settings, channel lists etc - it puts it back to a "straight out of the box" configuration

Would that be a bad thing???

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
far78 said:
Hit Menu, Installation, Satellite Setup. If USALS is selected, enter your latitude and longitude as you have found. I'd also check all limits are disabled too - ensuring your motor doesn't hit anything of course!.

If DiSEQC 1.2 is selected and the motor is not moving at all - even if you are attempting to move to Hotbird, which is traditionally memory position 1 on the motor - then the likelihood is the motor positions have been wiped at the motor itself or the motor is faulty.

That's brilliant - will try that tomorrow!!! And will keep you posted tomorrow!!
THANK YOU FOR HELP AND SUPPORT!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
nicolas46 said:
I have contacted the Installer, and he said to switch the Receiver Off and then On again - waiting for about 30 secs. This has worked in the past, however it doesn't work now!!!

So what stops him/her fromreturning to site to check ?

If it's an issue with the work then you are covered under the installers warranty, if a receiver/motor fault its covered under the manufacturers guarantee, if it's your own fault then one call out should be a minimum from the person you roped into fitting it.

nicolas46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southwell - Notts
Channel Hopper said:
So what stops him/her fromreturning to site to check ?

If it's an issue with the work then you are covered under the installers warranty, if a receiver/motor fault its covered under the manufacturers guarantee, if it's your own fault then one call out should be a minimum from the person you roped into fitting it.

Hey Channel Hopper,
Thanks for your reply!

The guy installed it over 2 years ago - and at the time said he had no idea how the receiver worked, also that I wouldn't be able to watch much as pratically everything is scrambled, and that I wouldn't be able to watch anything further than Europe!

However I've found loads of satellites to 'FTA' and could when it was working watch tv from Peru, Venezuela, South Africa, most of Africa - Angola, Guinea Bissau etc etc!!

And can I also say that this isn't the first time this problem has happened - over the months since installation it has happend quite a few times, especially ifstay on one satellite for more than three days!!!