Help!! Thoroughly confused.

begarkitta

Reaction score
When I registered in this forum, I was confident that I could catch up with the tech details—a confidence that rested on my experience in analogue electronics and more than a decade of experience with computers. I did make some progress, no doubt. However, when I read yesterday some sort of a primer on Matrix Reloaded, I was thoroughly confused. Please tell me whether I am right with regard to the following:

• CAMs are not just dumb hardware; they have microprocessors and an Eprom and/or a RAM that can be programmed.
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR can work without the need of a smart card.
  • Smart Cards carry Keys and these keys can be directly fed into CAMs such as MR.
  • CAMs can be connected to a PC and programmed.
  • CAMs are continuously antiquated as encryption aficionados outsmart them.
  • A CAS interface is a devise that allows one to programme CAMs without the need of a PC.
  • There are CAMs that have slot for the smart card, while others are inserted into receivers that have separate slots for smart cards.
  • The average functional age of third-party CAM (such as MR) is approximately 1-11/2 years.
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR may not decrypt all encryption modes. They can, however, be programmed to do so—i.e., my MR may not recognize Conax, but I can make it do so.

I would also be grateful if I could be directed to articles or pdf files that tell me all.

Thanks.

PS: why is it that one cannot get into the toecutters den even after registering?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi begarkitta,
try here:
_http://www.duwgati.com/uk/index.htm

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
  • CAMs are not just dumb hardware; they have microprocessors and an Eprom and/or a RAM that can be programmed.
right
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR can work without the need of a smart card.
some of them (Matrix, Dragon, Xcam, ...) can do it but they also can read official smart cards, some others (Magic) need a smart card
  • Smart Cards carry Keys and these keys can be directly fed into CAMs such as MR.
right: keys can be carried from smart cards but also directly from programmers (CAS interface, dynamite, smartmouse, etc...)
  • CAMs can be connected to a PC and programmed.
only some of them: Matrix can do it but not with any firmware, Dragon and Xcam can't
  • CAMs are continuously antiquated as encryption aficionados outsmart them.
some CAMs are very good even after a long time they are on the market, actualized by always up to date firmwares
  • A CAS interface is a devise that allows one to programme CAMs without the need of a PC.
right: it's a programmer for CAMs but also for any kind of smart card
  • There are CAMs that have slot for the smart card, while others are inserted into receivers that have separate slots for smart cards.
wrong: all CAMs have slot for smart card (the newest have two: one regular and one for a sim card), some receivers have slots for CAMs and also slot for smart card (embedd CAM)
  • The average functional age of third-party CAM (such as MR) is approximately 1-11/2 years.
???? as I said, it depends on the firmware development and the "functional age" can be much longer
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR may not decrypt all encryption modes. They can, however, be programmed to do so—i.e., my MR may not recognize Conax, but I can make it do so.
they are usually sold "blank" (it would be illegal, otherwise) and this way they can't decrypt anything nor reading official cards: the owner has to programm it with the last available firmware by wich the CAM will decrypt all what is possible at the moment

begarkitta

Reaction score
Danit and Michka,

Thanks. I have before now consulted Duwgati site as advised by Michka. But some questions remain unanswered. I need to, as one of the moderators has said elsewhere, "read more and dream."

I am just wondering, right now, what programmeable cam and funcard I would require to be able to receive conax-encryped programmes. Would MR and FC-5 do?

Thanks again for your patience.

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
begarkitta said:
I am just wondering, right now, what programmeable cam and funcard I would require to be able to receive conax-encryped programmes. Would MR and FC-5 do?
MR works, but just consider that conax based broadcasters are planning to upgrade their encryption, when... who knows??

gauch21

I need a RedBull
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HOTBIRD 4/6 & NSS6 ON ZENEGA CD-1005S with 1 CI-slot & 1 smart-card reader (CONAX Embedded), DISEqC SWITCH, MATRIX O3ZONE LOADED WITH UCAS3.2 & MR 1.220
My Location
India
begarkitta, i got my matrix 03zone cam right now through post. Please advise where can i find drivers for it for XP and what softwares are needed to programme this cam. where will i find these softwares. as this cam can be programmed for mr rev, reloaded and reborn. what are the differences between these and which should i chose.

begarkitta

Reaction score
Gauch,

Please read the extensive sticky file at the beginning of this forum on matrix "how to." Also, download and read all the pdf files in the duolabs.com site.

I am afraid your question cannot be answered in short and I am not the thorough professional to be of complete help. I am groping around like yourself. I have sent you an email, please reply.