Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TEchnomate 1500 CI+ Super
80cm Dish
Fortec Start Universal Single 0.3 NF
My Location
Scotland
Hi every one,

As I live abroad I am thinking to buy a satellite system, but I see that is much more complicate that I thought. I don’t understand nothing about satellite, I would appreciate very much some help.

What I want is this; right now I just want watch free channels, particularly from Brazil and Spain. I am living now in Scotland but in a short while I will move to south of Europe so I will take the satellite system with me, I don’t know if this detail is important. Quality of image and sound is important but I don’t want to spend too much money in the systems.

So now the questions; what receiver? What size of dish? Do I need anything else?

I have seen very good reviews about Technomate TM-1500, but perhaps this is too much for what I need.

regards

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
why not wait till you settle in your new place and buy a system there.it will probably work out cheaper and it will also give you plenty of time to do some more research.a good starter set i would recommend is -any of the plaza boxes from manhattan,triax88cm dish,and possibly the stab100 motor.that should meet all your wants,and wont dent your pocket too hard.

TWAG

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
the same system will not work in other country?

twag42 said:
why not wait till you settle in your new place and buy a system there.it will probably work out cheaper and it will also give you plenty of time to do some more research.a good starter set i would recommend is -any of the plaza boxes from manhattan,triax88cm dish,and possibly the stab100 motor.that should meet all your wants,and wont dent your pocket too hard.

TWAG

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
burnet01 said:
the same system will not work in other country?
That really depends on what you intend watching. The signal strengths of satellites vary enormously when you start moving about Europe as footprints are different for each transponder on each different satellite. Thus if you buy an 80cm dish in Scotland and watch certain channels there when you move to Spain the reception may be decreased, alternatively the reception may be improved. It is all down to the footprints of what you want to receive and watch. In Spain I understand they have a good DTH system so that your satellite system may not be required out there and you may not have line of site to the satellite you want to watch from a new location. twag42 is just trying to make you aware that it is even more complicated than you think and he doesn't want you to waste money.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
I apreciate guys, where I live there is not any shop where i could go and talk with the salesman and find out everyhting, this is the only place I found to clear all my doubts.
In response to your quote "That really depends on what you intend watching" I just want to watch free channels from Brazil and Spain.
I understand the signal strenth vary depending of the location, I was wondering wich size of dish could work fine here in Scotland and in the south of Europe, perhaps 80 cm, 1m.

And what about the receiver? any sugestion?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If I had the dosh at the mo I would buy the technomate ci 1500. There are many threads about it there is even a sticky I think with a full assessment. Do a search for it, the advantage of this is that it is an FTA receiver that someone is producing a patch for which will decrypt some extra channels click here for some info. I would need to know what channels you wish to find so have a look here to see which Spanish channels you can get FTA on Hispasat 30W are these enough for you?

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Toppervte33h, thanks again for your help.

The few channels I wish to watch are in Hispasat 1C (30 W) and they are FTA.

Also I wish couple of channels from Brasilsat B1 (70 W); Rede Globo and SBT Rede which I believe are FTA as well; as www.lynsat.com said.

Once I know the channel and the satellite coordinates I wish to watch, how do you know what size of dish is need?

I am interested in channels from 2 differents satellites. As each satellite got a different coordinates, then I wont be able to watch channels from both satellite ate the same time, is that right?

Do you think it’s worth buy Technomate 1500 patched from Ebay or from the shop with out patch.

toppervte33h said:
If I had the dosh at the mo I would buy the technomate ci 1500. There are many threads about it there is even a sticky I think with a full assessment. Do a search for it, the advantage of this is that it is an FTA receiver that someone is producing a patch for which will decrypt some extra channels click here for some info. I would need to know what channels you wish to find so have a look here to see which Spanish channels you can get FTA on Hispasat 30W are these enough for you?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
burnet01 said:
The few channels I wish to watch are in Hispasat 1C (30 W) and they are FTA.

No problem

burnet01 said:
Also I wish couple of channels from Brasilsat B1 (70 W); Rede Globo and SBT Rede which I believe are FTA

Not possible it is below the horizon from Scotland and Spain

burnet01 said:
As each satellite got a different coordinates, then I wont be able to watch channels from both satellite ate the same time, is that right?

If you could see both sats and they were 6 degrees apart you could use one dish and a monobloc LNB which will receive 2 sats simultaneously. But as one of your options is no longer an option I do not know what to suggest

burnet01 said:
Do you think it’s worth buy Technomate 1500 patched from Ebay or from the shop with out patch.

Depends how technically minded you are, whichever you choose you will have to learn how to patch if you want more channels but buying already patched will show you can receive and what you need to maintain

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Hi toppervte33h

so, it is not posible to receive the satellite Brasilsat from here Scotland,
is there any way to receive that satellite, Brasilsat? as is the one i am most interested in the channels from Brazil

Regards

toppervte33h said:
No problem

Not possible it is below the horizon from Scotland and Spain

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There is a Brazilian channel on Astra 28East (or at least there was a couple of months ago). You may also find programme content from South America on Hotbird 13 East, but probably not dedicated to one particular country.

Brasilsat is not available from the UK.