Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ECHOLINK EL700
90cm Kuband Dish&LNB
180cm C-Band Dish & LNB
My Location
Middle East
Dear Sir,
I brought a new Dreambox 600PVR-S on 18-06-2007 from a local suppler in Bahrain ( Middle East ).
I want some technical question regarding the box.
1. I want to watch C-Band digital chanels ( Satellite Insat 2E/3B/4A etc - C-Band chanels like Shalom TV, Asianet, Kairali etc ). How it is possible as i didnot get any details from the manual. Please help.

eg. Shalom TV Details -Satellite Name : INSAT- 4A, Satellite Long : 83 Degree East, Rx Polarization : Horizontal, Downlink Frequency : 3805 MHz, Symbol Rate : 28500 Msps, Modulation : QPSK, FEC Rate : 7/8.

The box came with pre-loded Gemini 3.6 and the satalite list does not have Insat Satalite.

Please help me at the earlist.
Thanks
Mathew

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum mathew2323

Well unless I am mistaken the 600PVR is a Ku band receiver and will probably not be able to resolve C band signals but you would need a C band lnb anyhow.

mathew2323

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ECHOLINK EL700
90cm Kuband Dish&LNB
180cm C-Band Dish & LNB
My Location
Middle East
Topper said:
Welcome to the forum mathew2323

Well unless I am mistaken the 600PVR is a Ku band receiver and will probably not be able to resolve C band signals but you would need a C band lnb anyhow.
Thaks Mr.Topper
I have C-band Dish & LNB for Insat 83E and is working well with "Ecolink DVB".

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mathew2323 said:
Thaks Mr.Topper
I have C-band Dish & LNB for Insat 83E and is working well with "Ecolink DVB".
Well how do you expect anyone to help you if you do not complete your profile information so that others can see what equipment you do have instead of people having to guess

mathew2323

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ECHOLINK EL700
90cm Kuband Dish&LNB
180cm C-Band Dish & LNB
My Location
Middle East
Thaks Mr.Topper,
Updated my profile.
Through my Ecolink DVB i can recive both Hotbird & Insat very well.
Now i want to use Dreambox 600pvr to repalce the DVB inorder to use the PVR function to Insat C-Band chanels. ( Hotbird is working well with new Dreambox )
Thanks

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku: 2.4m Aerial PFA / Invacom SNF-031,
C: 1.2m Aerial PFA / MTI 15k,

DM7020-S, DM500S, C-Tech 2100, VBOXII
My Location
Finland
Set the LO frequency for the corresponding lnb to 5150MHz

You may need to tag the "INV" option if you try to do a manual transponder scan.

My DM500S is a bit tricky to get going on C-band, perhaps since IF frequency is calculated inversely (LO is higher than received frequency).

This next trick will ALWAYS work however since all sat receivers actually receive 950MHZ - 2150MHz, the rest is software and math to display and use actual frequencies:

If circular polarisation is used you can translate like this:
Vertical = Left hand circular polarisation (LHCP)
Horizontal = Right hand circular polarisation (RHCP)

Now translate the C-band frequency into a Ku-band frequency like this:
5150 - Cband_MHz = IF_MHz
IF_MHz + 9750 = Ku_lowband_MHz or IF_MHz + 10600 = Ku_highband_MHz

Note that the higher the C-band frequency is, the lower the fake Ku-band frequency will be.

A few examples for you to try out on Insat 83.0 deg East:

Asianet mux 3643V
5150-3643 = 1507
1507 + 9750 = 11257
use 11257MHz Vertical

Kairali 3845V
5150-3845 = 1305
1305+9750 = 11055
use 11055MHz Vertical

For both above examples the receiver must be configured to have a Universal Ku-band LNB with 9750/10600MHz LO.

Good luck

Ize

Edit: You can use any satellite you don't need in the satellite list as Insat 83E and scan manually. It will then serve as a placeholder for the channels you have actually scanned on 83E.

mathew2323

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ECHOLINK EL700
90cm Kuband Dish&LNB
180cm C-Band Dish & LNB
My Location
Middle East
Thanks Mr. Izefisherman,
As you sugessted, the first option worked out and my problem is solved.
Thanks a lot.
While i tried the 2nd option ( by converting to ku-band frquency ) it didn't worked out.
I have a Eurostar Single solution lnb ES21+ with L.O. Frequency (Hor - 5150 Mhz; Ver - 5750 Mhz). ( LNB specification link: h**p://www.eurostar-digital.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=187 ).
Will you please advise me what mistake i may done for converting the frequency to ku-band.
Mathew

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Mathew you have a C-band lnb so dont need to do the Ku band conversion - thats only required if you have a Ku band lnb.

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku: 2.4m Aerial PFA / Invacom SNF-031,
C: 1.2m Aerial PFA / MTI 15k,

DM7020-S, DM500S, C-Tech 2100, VBOXII
My Location
Finland
mathew2323 said:
Thanks Mr. Izefisherman,
As you sugessted, the first option worked out and my problem is solved.
Thanks a lot.
While i tried the 2nd option ( by converting to ku-band frquency ) it didn't worked out.
I have a Eurostar Single solution lnb ES21+ with L.O. Frequency (Hor - 5150 Mhz; Ver - 5750 Mhz). ( LNB specification link: h**p://www.eurostar-digital.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=187 ).
Will you please advise me what mistake i may done for converting the frequency to ku-band.
Mathew

Option two is really only needed if the receiver cannot be configured for a LOF of 5150MHz. The C vs. fake Ku band frequency math only fools the tuner to tune the right IF frequency with a Ku-band frequency input. C and Ku band only exist in the LNB, the same downconverted frequency band is used in both cases.

To make option 2 work in your case you cannot enter LOF 5150MHz in the DM600PVR LNB setup. You have to use the universal Ku-band setup 9750/10600MHz with switchover at 11700MHz, then connect the C-band LNB and enter a calculated "fake" Ku-band frequency. I can confirm it works well, I use the trick frequently as my experimental 120cm dish carries a Ku-band LNB one day and a C-band LNB the next day and I don't want to change settings for that LNB all the time.

Looking at the specs for your LNB reveals it is a special type that receives and converts V and H simultaneously. Then only horizontal channels will work if LOF 5150MHz is entered. If you want to use option 2 with both polarisations you must use 5750MHz in the conversion formula for vertical frequencies. It is also a good idea to set the switchover frequency to a higher value than 11700MHz, say 12100MHz as you want to use the full input frequency range of the tuner in this case as the vertical channels will appear above the horizontals on the IF band.

So this dual LOF C-band LNB complicates things a bit, the originally suggested options were meant for a typical voltage switching V/H (L/R) C-band LNB with a LOF of 5150MHz. But even your case can be overcome using fake frequencies if the receiver can't handle the special LNB by default.

Analoguesat said:
Mathew you have a C-band lnb so dont need to do the Ku band conversion - thats only required if you have a Ku band lnb.

I don't understand this statement. If Mathew (or anyone) wants to use a C-band LNB with a receiver set up for a Universal Ku-band LNB the suggested conversion math applies perfectly and must be used to fool the receiver into tuning the right IF frequency.

ravimdxb

Reaction score
Just go in the service searching, satellite configuration menu and where you have 0,1,2,3 for satellites (depends on your configuration). Highlight the 0 and in the LO Frequency enter 05150 for both low and high frequency leave the 11700 as it is and save green button. Go to manual transponder scan and try if you get signal lock and percentage on level and quality. If yes click network search and you should be able to scan rest of the transponders on the satellite. If not manually add transponders.

adsl.jalawiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500-S
Adsl Connection
Laptop
Nilesat Dish
My Location
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
dear mr mathew

i need ur help pls. i am in dammam and i have a dreambox dm500s. can u pls help me to configure insat channels on this box pls.

i visit bahrain every weekend. expecting ur reply

riaz

mashster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo (Open PLi) Sats: Telstar 12, Atlantic Bird 3 (C), Sirius 4.8E, Eutelsat W3A, Eutelsat W2A and Intelsat 7 & 10 (C & Ku)
My Location
South Africa
Thanks ravimdxb, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!

Now lets get to the LNBF part, For Intelsat 7/10. What is the Focal Depth that I need to be setting this thing at?

And also do LNB Skews work for C-Band as well?:confused

I am a complete newbie at C-Band! It is a scary beast for me!

ravimdxb said:
Just go in the service searching, satellite configuration menu and where you have 0,1,2,3 for satellites (depends on your configuration). Highlight the 0 and in the LO Frequency enter 05150 for both low and high frequency leave the 11700 as it is and save green button. Go to manual transponder scan and try if you get signal lock and percentage on level and quality. If yes click network search and you should be able to scan rest of the transponders on the satellite. If not manually add transponders.