Help tuning NOVA (greece) w/ Humax 5400

red

Reaction score
Hello!
I got excellent help on this thread: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?p=131950#post131950 a few days ago..... and as soon as i bought a 20-euro tuning meter i was able to find all sorts of satellites. Great!

Now, however, i cannot seem to find the Nova programs. I've already bought the card, and have an active subscription. It's my impression that i should be able to just tune it, and then call Nova to update the receiver and be good.

I'm sure i'm aiming at the right satellite (Hotbird on 13degE), since there are (according to http://www.satmania.com/eng/satchannels/ ) a whole passel of unique services (IRIB, Telespazia, Belgacom, RRSat, RTL, etc) that the Humax can find/tune automatically.

According to this page, http://www.satmania.com/eng/satchannels/13_0e/packages/nova_ NOVA is on three freqs, 10930H, 11823H and 12169H, all at 27500 3/4.....

No matter how i try to tune, auto manual or advanced, i can't find these signals. I even tried the 'detailed' search where the receiver tries every frequency/polarity/FEC/signalrate combo that it's capable of.. still no NOVA.

I'm pretty darn sure i'm on the right bird, see the last post for my location and aiming aziumth and stuff.... it's right there and quite strong.

I can also see other satellites, like Astra and stuff, on different azimuths.

So... can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? The NOVA people want me to have a tech come out, but for personal reasons i really don't want to do that. With the dish aimed, and things connected, i'm at a loss....

help?

thanks a ton!

red

Reaction score
I can get Polsat http://www.satmania.com/eng/satchannels/13_0e/packages/polsat_cyfrowy/ just great, perfect....

And since Polsat is *only* on Hotbird 3, i know darn well i've got the right satellite..... what gives here?

Did Nova change their satellite and freqs? They told me at the Nova place that they were "on 13degrees".... so, that's got to be Hotbird....

hum. i'm really, really stumped here.

thanks in advance for any help!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are on Hotbird then you should be able to receive Nova, I'm presuming that you can find all of the PrimaFila channels and BBC world.

It may help to download the latest PET settings from the sticky in the receiver software section.

red

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm not sure about PrimaFila or BBC World... i'll look to see that they are being tuned. I get a whole long list of possible services, including OTE (which is the greek telecom...) and the ones mentioned above. However, no Nova, and no Filmnet (which i need to tune to in order to activate my Irdeto card).....

I'll look into the PET thing.... what is it exactly? Again, thanks for your help... i hope these threads are useful to some other n00b someday ;-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The PET settings are the transponder list for the Humax.

red

Reaction score
OK.. no PrimaFila, but i do get BBCWorld, but it's scrambled.... i'm getting it as part of Globecast, on 12446V, 27500 FEC 3/4... it shows up in channel #314 for me.

Of course, as i said, it's scrambled.... so i think i've got something wrong.

I looked in the threads you mentioned, but it was rather confusing to a newbie like me... are you saying that i'll need to update the software in the receiver? I looked, and the current status shows this:

IRD Ser# 1 Loader Ver 3.1
Manu ID 15 HW Ver 4
LoadSeq# L-1 Key Seq # 1
Variant 43 Key Sys ID 43
Keystatus OK Key Ver 0
Bin2iRD ver 3.1k Bin2iRD ser 0001
Sign date 26/09/02 Dload date 26/09/02
Sign time 10:49:32 Dload time 19:56:03
Dload Dur 00:03:46 Image Size 1966080

So... based on these 2002 dates, i'm guessing i'll need to update the firmware/software? i'm not sure why i couldn't just tune on the published freqs but....

i'll give it a go!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I know very little about the Humax, even though it is one of the most popular receivers. They do have this peculiarity whereby you appear to need to download channel lists, rather than add them manually like many other receivers. Perhaps one of the many Humax owners will chip in here.

Do you have the ability to add transponders?

radtv

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
I have an active Nova card, and have used it on my Humax 5100CI with an XCAM no problems.

red

Reaction score
Thanks.. i've downloaded Humbox 4.1 (gotta go get a null modem cable now...) and the latest files from humaxsettings.nl, but Nova does not appear in the list of services in that file... Nova is new, but not that new, i think (?!?)

I'm not sure what you mean by the ability to add transponders.... i can tell it to search on a particulary frequency/signalrate/FEC.... but when i tell it to do so for the three Nova freqs (10930H, 11823H, 12169H, all 27500 3/4), i get nothing.. or it searches around (not on..) those freqs and finds some other services...

The manual for the Humax is not very enlightening, to say the least.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
If we can assume that your humax lnb setting is correct(universal) and your lnb is okay(switching from high band to low band,vertical and horizontal)then there might be something wrong with your box.I have a humax ci-20 and tried different cams and cards for bbc prime etc but it goes weird on me and even says "not running or scrambled" om bbc world and euronews !Most of the hunax 5400's i have come across in Cyprus have all eventually packed up because power supply problems which give strange symptoms.You will have to borrow a receiver and connect it to your dish and see if you get the same problem.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Think that we may have isolated the problem Zorba in another thread, it appears that the LNB is a single band 10.750 LO, so almost certainly everything carries a frequency offset and no low band channels will be found if the settings are for a Universal.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
rolfw said:
Think that we may have isolated the problem Zorba in another thread, it appears that the LNB is a single band 10.750 LO, so almost certainly everything carries a frequency offset and no low band channels will be found if the settings are for a Universal.

There must still be a few people out there with old set ups.Over here a lot of orbit set ups still use the old gardiner 10.7 lnb,which is fine until they want to receive any other sat.

red

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. this is great news, and on Monday (new shipment..) i'm going to go and buy a new LNB.

But... i'm afraid that i can't use a universal one...

here's the story: The receivers are located quite some distance (1km) from where i have to put the dish. Of course i have the recievers at the dish right now, until it get it working...

but once i get it working, i'll need to send the sat signal down a fiberoptic.. i ahve a specialized pair of devices for this, one has a transmit laser, and has provisions to give LNB poswer, the other recieves and reconverts to RF. the band is 900 - 1450 (i think, i don't have it in front of me) but should be sufficient.

The problem with a universal LNB is, then, that there's no way for the 22khz control signal to pass from the receievers to the LNB.

Since i'm only interested in getting Nova, and it's all horizontal (is there a control signal for that too?) i hope to find a single-band LNB that spans the required freqs (ie, 10930H, 11823H, 12169H)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
what about 2 lnb's?one high band the other low band or does that mean two lasers

red

Reaction score
zorba said:
what about 2 lnb's?one high band the other low band or does that mean two lasers
Actually, that's exactly what i'm going to try....

though i'm going to try to Y-connect the LNB together before the laser (i only have one, and they're very expensive...)

i've done the math, and think there won't be any freq conflicts, but we'll see...

i'll let everyone here know how it works!

(you can look at the other thread for really detailed information on what i'm trying... http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=26552 )