HELP!!! Twin output LNB but no signal at one end

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite yet - Seeking info
My Location
Cyprus
Hi all, can i please ask for your help?
I have finished installing my satellite configuration. I am using a satellite dish with a twin output LNB and two wiring each ending at a different receiver (Dreambox 500s). While at one end (upper house), the Dreambox has a good signal (SNR:88-90%, AGR: 88%) at the other end (lower house) the dreambox only has SNR:57% and AGR:0%.
Fearing that i might have a defective LNB, i reversed the connections on the LNB but i still get the exact same results: the upper house has good reception while at the lower house i have zero.
What initially crossed my mind was the length of the wire. The one ending up at the upper house is approx 2/3 - 1/2 of the size of the one ending up at the lower house. Could this be the reason? Or are there any settings i haven't set up correctly on my dreambox?
Im using R6U or RG6U cabling (cant recall now which one it is)

Thanks in advance for considering my post

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Swop the boxes around next - that should tell you whether the problem is with the cabling (etc.) or is (as you suggest) an incorrect box setting.

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cyprus
Its just one box actually at the moment. Im running up and down between the house connecting/disconnecting wires and power supplies. While on the upper house the setup works perfectly, on the lower house as i said above, the reception is zero (57% SNR and everything else zero).

BTW thanks a lot for the reply

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cyprus
spinn3rs said:
Its just one box actually at the moment. Im running up and down between the house connecting/disconnecting wires and power supplies. While on the upper house the setup works perfectly, on the lower house as i said above, the reception is zero (57% SNR and everything else zero).

BTW thanks a lot for the reply
oops excuse the bad english used. i didnt re-read my post

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Check along the cable for damage.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
spinn3rs said:
oops excuse the bad english used. i didnt re-read my post

Nothing wrong with your English - the fault is mine for assuming you had a Rx in place at each position.

So the settings are not in doubt as the Box works at one position, and the next step is to follow satelliteman's advice :)

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cyprus
How do i go about doing this without having to cut/cripple my wiring?
Thanks a lot

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Check the connections at each end of the cable, is it a single length of cable, have you fitted an outlet plate?

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cyprus
nop, signle length cable, starting from the LNB and finishing at the receiver...no outlet plates, no nothing :-)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Is it a new cable you've run in, or is it an old one?

If old, it could have some physical damage due to impact, abrasion, tight-radius bend (kink!), water ingress .............

Have you removed and refitted the F connectors at each end? I don't mean just separate the plug from the socket, but actually physically dismantle the plugs and remake them.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
spinn3rs said:
nop, signle length cable, starting from the LNB and finishing at the receiver...no outlet plates, no nothing :-)

Check for breaks, cuts, kinks and any signs of water ingress :)

spinn3rs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cyprus
Cabling is brand new. It was fitted on Saturday. Unfortunately i cannot check for damage by going through the whole length as it was fitted within the house cabling. Is there any way i could check using a multi-meter?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
spinn3rs said:
Cabling is brand new. It was fitted on Saturday. Unfortunately i cannot check for damage by going through the whole length as it was fitted within the house cabling. Is there any way i could check using a multi-meter?

Well if it is new, l should remove and refit the F connectors first as it is far more likely (but not certain) that the problem lies there.

Did you install the cable yourself, or was it done on your behalf?

If the F connections are proved sound, leaving the hidden cabling the sole remaining suspect, then if it was damaged during installation it might be best to refer the matter back to the Installer (If it wasn't you!).

To be honest, it perhaps should have been checked for continuity and insulation resistance at the time.

To check continuity, go to one end and short circuit the inner core and sheath. Connect a multimeter across the core and braid at the other end.

Similarly, a simple insulation resistance check can also be carried out by leaving the multimeter connected and parting the core and sheath at the other end - obviously this isn't a true insulation resistance check, but it will tell you if the core and sheath are short circuited inadvertently somewhere along the cable run.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Have you checked that none of the outer braid is touching the stinger at each end of the cable ?

If any of the outer core is touching the inner your signal will disappear :(

You can test your cable by doing a continuity test between the stinger and the outer core. If you get a reading you have cable damage causing the inner & outer core to com into contact with each other.

If you don't get a reading there is no issue with inner and outer core contact. You will then need to twist the inner and outer core together at one end and check for continuity at the other end.

If you get a reading it should indicate there is no problem. If you don't get a reading it means your cable is broken somewhere between the receiver and the lnb :-Nooo

:-beer

Nano

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors