Help with a Dm500+

Flipit

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok I just got my sticky little fingers on a DM500+ having spent the entire night looking on the net for info seem to be no further.

Here's what I know, what I have and what I want.

What I know and have:
Box is running the standard 'image' seems there are lots of images that all very slightly different. I need some advice on what image to use.

I downloaded Gemini 4.20from Dreambox4U website and using the stickies FTP to /tmp and change the name to root.confs (or somehting like that) I will need to install Gemini from the TV menu, but it's not hooked up at the moment and didn't want to wake the other half at 2am.. so will continue with that tonight.

Question. Is Gemini the best.. I guess it comes down to preference ? any suggestions ? Is Dreambox4U reliable ?

Next. I have a valid subscription card for D+ so i guess I need a CAM/EMU. OK which one ? I'm not into any cardsharing, at least not yet and it seems beyond me at the moment, scripts etc.... Is there a CAM/EMU that supports D+ on N3 that I can install that will give me basic functionality and allow me to learn as I go... peolpe talk of steep learning curves.. their not wrong?

Is there anything I should try out.. you know the kind of thing that you only figure out 6 months after you get into it and think, bugger if only I known that to start with....

Thats it.

Seems simple enough.

Flipit

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The normal way to flash an image is to download it to a PC or laptop. Start DreamUP on PC.

Pull the power lead out of the Dreambox. Connect to laptop with null modem cable.

Press correct button as prompted by DreamUP. Plug in power cable.

Exact details/ order of steps to take are in the Guide.

Yes, Gemini is a good image.

After you've flashed it let us know and we can tackle your other questions :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Latest image is 4.3, so try flashing it instead of 4.2
The smartcard will need an emulation CAM to open the D+ channels.
Install CCcam 2.0.8 and then choose it instead of Common Interface using the blue button.
You will discover that using a router can be a great help for installig plugins and CAMs directly from the Gemini Server.

Flipit

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok I've managed to install the gemini image (I could only find 2.20 for the 500+ in *.nfi format)

I downloaded the tar CCcam_2.0.8 (complete) from IHAD and copied it over to my /tmp folder then installed it from the the manual install using the remote.

I switched the <-Common Interface-> to <-CCcam_2.0.8-> and restarted Camd.

I get an info message saying stopping Common Interface and starting CCcam_2.0.8, but nothing happens. The message never goes away and the dreambox is frozen.

I don't have an internet connection on the dreambox does this matter ?

Please someone tell me what I need to do next to get my D+ sub card working ?

Many Thanks

Phill

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you tried it again?

Install CCcam. Set it as the default emu and then change channel- it will restart automatically.

Flipit

Reaction score
Tried just about everything I can think of. No Joy.

I set CCcam 2.0.8 as the default through the blue pannel options.. can't remember off hand if that was auto-camd enable or disable, but a new screen poped up asking me to chose a default cam with the option to add more for particular providers or channels.

Again I get the info box saying stopping Common Interface staring CCcam 2.0.8 but it just hangs until I do a hard re-boot.

Never seems to start am I missing somthing ?

I think I read that I need a CCcam.cfg file also, didn't seem to be one in the tar, so I followed instructions on the net... no joy either. Do I really need this for local viewing only, seems devilishly dificult to understand all the settings in the cfg ?

Out of curiousity how do I unistall extras, addons, cams, emus etc, do they automatically get overridden when you do a new version install ?

Thanks for you help so far.

Flipit

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hope that your box is an original Dreambox and not a clone.
Have you tried inserting the card with the chip side as per the instructions?

Are you sure that the latest flash file for the 500+ is 2.2 *.nfi?
Check again in the IHAD website and download the latest.
If this is the latest, then I would suggest to reflash your image file.
Shutdown STB and PC.
Take out your smartcard.
This time make sure that you disconnect all cables (also LNB coaxial) and leave only the power cord.
Then connect the null modem cable, use DreamUp utility with network NOT Selected.
When finished, follow the instructions. Disconnect power cord for few minutes and then connect all cables.
scan the channels and check that your box can open all the FTA channels.
Then install CCcam 2.0.8 as you did before.
Then choose it from the Blue Button. Use the left and right cursers to navigate.
Then down to Start/Restart CAMD. That's all. nothing to it.
I would suggest that you would then shutdown the box, pull out the power cord, insert the smartcard with the chip side the correct way and hopefully this time you will see a better response.

Your other questions will be answered, but first get your box working.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think I read that I need a CCcam.cfg file

You don't need one for local viewing.

Remove stuff: blue panel > addons > delete

Suggest you try CCcam 2.0.7. Otherwise try a reflash as suggested. If the root.confs method (never tried it that way) still gives an unusable box, see post #2.

Flipit

Reaction score
OK,

Downloaded the latest gemini from IHAD. (2.3) Flashed. FTA channels OK.

FTPed CCcam 2.0.8 *.tar file (From IHAD) to /tmp.
Blue Button, Addons, Manual Install, installed CCcam 2.0.8.
Blue Button, Selected CCam 2.0.8 (BTW it has another option with /NewCS at the end, I only used CCcam option) instead of Common Interface, Start/Enable Camd. Exit.

All as instructed, I think.

Problem. Same Message box pops up... stopping Common Interface , starting CCcam 2.0.8 ... then it just hangs.

I'm thinking I may have some corrupted 2.0.8 so will reflash again with latest gemini and try 2.0.7. to see if I can at least get it to start.

BTW. Positive this a real DM500+ have the hologram box and DreamUp also says it's a 500+

This ever happend to anyone else ?

Again thanks for all the help so far.

Flipit

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Your installation of CCcam is spot on.

How much space is left in var?

Can you FTP/ telnet/ DDC onto the Dreambox and check the file permissions on the CCcam files have been set to rwx (755 in octal I think) ?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I think that putting the file in /tmp and then doing manual install would take care of the rwx incorrect chmod possibility.
It's putting files in the correct subfolders via FTP that one has to double check the chmod number.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hi Flipit,
You didn't mention HOW you flashed.

Can you try Mgcamd 1.29 instead, before you reflash?
CCcam is supposed to open most official smartcards, but perhaps this can work just as well for your card (Nagravision encryption I think).

Remember to delete the CCcam first to allow more space in the memory.
Good Luck. :)

Flipit

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

A word to the for any new Dm500+ users... download the right files !

I downloaded the tar for th 7025 et al e2.CCcam..etc.... the root of all my problems...

I have now download the correct one, e1.CCcam.2.0.8.tar.gz from the database section of IHAD. (under emus for the Dm500 (DOH!))

Installed as above and voila. Now all working.

Thanks both of you for the support.

Now to figure out the rest...

BTW. Anyone know anything about head end systems.. seems I'm linked into a comunity dish pointing to 19.2E I get all vertical transponders but few horizontal. ( if any should I change my transpoder Hi/Low frequencies) The Dish is just outside my house and has a dual lnb (one feed horn and 2 coax outs) I guess the singles are just amplified and ditributed to the 4 houses it serves. Anyhting other then Digiatl+ on 19.2E worth watching ?

Ta

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hi Flipit,
I am really happy for you. Well done :)
We all learn from our mistakes.
BTW: If you have a router and internet connection, then when you connect to the Gemini Server, you will download only the correct files for the specific box. Worth considering.
Can you please install also Mgcamd 1.29 and check if it will open your official card or not. I need this info.
Regarding the other question:
There are plenty of excellent packages on 19.2E:
Premiere (German), Canal Sat (French), etc.
Just go to Lyngsat and check all the Astra 19.2E channels and packages.

Flipit

Reaction score
I'm going to install mgCamd now, will donwload and FTP. I'll let you know if I don't f it up..

I don't have a router that can share the wireless connection i have access to hence the rather long winded approach. Waiting for a month for telefonica to install my adsl line !!

I only seem to be able to tune to D+ channels and a few others.. I went into the transpoder settings just now and changed the upper limit and threshold to 12700 I left the lower limt the same 9750 (i think) I think the head end is just mixing horizontal and vertical hi and low into the coax along with DVB-T ( new system that comunity put in about a year ago I think.. any way a bunch of frecnh channels poped up, but no premiere ( german I think) i will go investigate too.

Now having fun... wife will devorce me...

Flipit

Flipit

Reaction score
Tested MGCam1.29 no joy with my D+ Nagra3 card. Hope this helps Flipit

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
A lot will depend on your location and dish size.
Check the foot prints, this might give you a clue why you are not receiving Premiere.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Flipit said:
Tested MGCam1.29 no joy with my D+ Nagra3 card. Hope this helps Flipit

Thanks. I suggest that you leave it in your emu list if you are not experiencing any problems, but use CCcam for the D+ official card.

adrianoo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 800hd
My Location
moroco
filipt your server down again 2 week