Help with dish setup

My Location
Copenhagen
I was wondering if someone could give me some good advise with regards to installing a 1.25m dish on the roof, attached to the chimney. I've attached a picture of the 70cm dish I've been using the last year for SKY/BBC reception. I'm just not sure whether I can attach a 1.25m dish in the same place, and if I can, what kind of mount should I be using?

DKBrit.
Denmark.

Attachments

O

Old Fred

I think the best advice is "don't risk it". A 70cm dish has an area of roughly 3,850 square centimetres. A 1.25m dish is about 12,300 sq cm. So divide them and you find that the larger dish is a LOT larger - it has more than 3 times the area. That means three times the wind load and maybe three times the weight.

It needs a (minimum) 75mm diameter mounting tube.

Your chimney looks strong but who can tell?

Fred

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm with Fred on this one, I would certainly think twice before mounting a 1.25metre dish on that size chimney, the location is by nature exposed and although it is a fixed dish, it will still catch a lot of wind.

Is there no way that it can be mounted anywhere other than the roof DKBrit?

My Location
Copenhagen
Thanks for the replies. I'll find somewhere else to mount it. I tried on a pole at ground level, but the house was in the way, and I got no signal at all. Oh well, on to plan C!

DKBrit

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

My Location
scotland
Hi :)
Yes i would like to agree with this comment about wind load as i had a similar dish about 2 years ago i think that fell off the side wall of my house. I imagine the wind load would be ten times worse on the roof. Now i have the dish bolted so tightly i think it could withstand a tornado. Looking at the pic you kindly provided though i recon it would just be too big. Could you not just put it on the ground?

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

My Location
scotland
oops sorry missed that comment you made at end
"I tried on a pole at ground level, but the house was in the way, and I got no signal at all". Oh well, you could still maybe put it on side of building? Mine just was not secure enough and i found it extremely difficult to fix if it went out of alignment with the satellite arc so i just reduced it to a 90cm. I pick up pretty much everything with this and i am in scotland..