help with floor mount dish install

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
Hi,

I am about to move house hence need to install a new fixed dish in the garden. This will be mounted on the grass which means i will have to dig and install a pole.

Questions are:-

1) will I need to add concreet to the hole i am digging or is there a better way.

2) Does the pole for the hole have to be a single pole in the hole or a tripod type

3) Does the cable that runs from dish to the house have to be buried or just secretely hidden from view

Finaly any one know where i can get free tutorials/guides to set this up

thanks

css_jay99

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
1. I would have done it with concrete, at least you will know it will stand any weather.

2. I think that a single pole will do it, get a minimum of 50mm diameter, the diameter will depend on how long the pole is.

3. You can place the cable in a plastic pipe and then place it under the grass. I have done that with network cables.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I found your phrasing amusing: "does the cable have to be buried or just secretly hidden from view "
Answer is no, it can be painted bright pink and lit up with halogen lamps if you want.
Or are you writing from a country that bans private ownership of sat dishes?
:D
2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmmm, halogen illuminated fluorescent cable, what a thought :)

But css_jay99, what sized dish are you looking at and why fixed? You have the opportunity with a fresh installation to expand the boundaries a tad and install a motorised dish.

Although the cheap option, scaffolding pole (2") set in concrete will handle a static 1 metre dish, you may consider a tripod mount with ballast, you can then move it at will. If you're going to bury cable, then as Old Satellite suggests, use a hose pipe, or buy some foam underground cable, otherwise, hose pipe laid around the garden on the surface.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
I will be using an 80cm dish with a monoblock for astra & hotbird. i guess later on I might add a diseqc motor later on

by the way I am in the UK(bromley)

I like the idea about a hose pipe!. I never would have thought about that!.

HOW DEEP SHOULD I DIG FOR THE POLE ?

I might still need planning permission from the girlfriend :D

Thanks guys

css_jay99

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Probably better to see if she will accept a concrete block or two in the bushes or the flower bed

Saves digging and can be moved later if there happens to be an argument with your other half

Might be good she works for the council, does she take bribes ?

vinc21

Reaction score
And don,t have the dish to close to the ground because you will get side lobe back, ground radiation, vinc21

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
Can you explain that Vinc21.

How far from the soil/concrete should the bottom arc of the dish be so i dont get that radiation .... stuff

thanks

css_jay99

vinc21

Reaction score
Hi ive found with mine 1.2 offset about 6ft from the bottom of the dish when fitted, works for me. vinc21

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
That is quite far off the ground.

I was thinking of just having my 88cm about 1 foot off the ground.

where can I read more about this side lobe back & ground radiation. Will solid or mesh type dish make a difference to this interferance.

css_jay99

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would say that for the average user it will make no significant difference, but if you are ranging the skies for weak feeds that are low on the horizon, it may cause a problem. The vast majority of ground mounted dishes are only one or two feet above the ground in my experience and are not adversly affected.