Help with friends dreambox - Faulty>?

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
I am posting here as a last resort, hoping somebody can help. I have been trying to sort this box out for him since Nov. Now I have it here to play with and still I have no joy. Should I advise my friend to return it to the shop?

The box was supplied from the shop with the RU_Dream imageV1.8 pre-loaded. No HD. The problem is that I can't get write any files into any of the folders. I can copy the contents and even delete files (sometimes) but not transfer anything new into it. I cannot update the keys via the net. It doesn't seem to remember the settings... ie when you tell it to use the newcamd EMU instead of the Common Interface the next time you switch it on it forgets this info. Also it always moves the dish to 43W everytime you switch it on. It does not remember the last SAT that it was viewing before putting it into standby. Is this normal?

The first time the box was installed the LNB loopthough was installed to his skybox. According to the dealer who installed it, doing this corrupted the box and they box was taken away to be re flashed with the image again. Not sure if this is a common problem but thought I would mention it in case this is relevant.

So we have tried connecting to the box via two different PC's different LAN cables, different routers. Used 5 different FTP progs and still the contents of the folders cannot be CHMODDED. So should this box bed returned to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Digibox corrupting the DB sftware is unlikely, in fact pretty close to impossible.

Have you tried putting a different image on it?

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
rolfw said:
The Digibox corrupting the DB sftware is unlikely, in fact pretty close to impossible.

Have you tried putting a different image on it?

No I haven't because my friend paid the dealer an extra £30 or so to have them supply it with the image (supposedly the best one) already on it.

Am considering taking it back for this reason.

Heres a bit more info copied from the web interface just now if it helps:

Installed Image Information

Versionbeta 1.0.8, 09.09.2004URL CommentDreambox beta image based on 108.2 with enigma 20040909.0112Cataloghttp://212.248.21.184/rudream/catalog.xml
For information about available updates select one of the categories on the left.

Model:DM7000Manufacturer:Dream-Multimedia-TVProcessor:STB04500, 252MHzHarddisk:noneUSB Stick:Linux Kernel:Linux version 2.6.9-rc1 (ghost*client) (gcc version 3.2.3) #8 Sun Sep 5 12:36:36 CEST 2004 Firmware:beta 1.0.8, 09.09.2004FP Firmware:1.01Web Interface:1.5.0

Its the moving of the dish to 43W all the time that makes me think its not right. Also despite putting in a new IP address so it matched my router, it didn't remember that either when I just powered it up, so had to change it again, to communicate!
Cheers

Martin

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Agree with Rolfw, put another image on it.

What model is it?

Have you tried to flash erase it?

Maybe you don't have any room to make changes.

If it's a 7000 then holde the up button as soon as you see the Dream Logo on the LCD - hold it down until flash erase appears in the LCD and let go.

If it's a 5620 hold the button on the left down until all four 9s appear on the LCD (I learned that tonight)

Good luck.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thirded. Blow it away and put a decent image on it.

Forget the £30. You were robbed. Seriously.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The 'driving to a fixed sat regardless' problem can be attributed to a corrupt image. If the image is defective in some given way, then it won't save all your settings correctly on shutdown/restart. I've seen this before.

STICK

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
7000. Had better not flash it. If it was mine I wouild have bought it in 'virgin' state and put images on it myself and learned bit by bit. But as I say... its a mates, and the shop should have sorted it. Funny how the thing was corrupted after the sky box was plugged in on install, dealer took it away to be reflashed and now how the dish moves to 43W regardless of which sat one was last watching!

Out of interest, which image do you use BGona_Stick? Whats a decent one?

gameboy said:
Agree with Rolfw, put another image on it.

What model is it?

Have you tried to flash erase it?

Maybe you don't have any room to make changes.

If it's a 7000 then holde the up button as soon as you see the Dream Logo on the LCD - hold it down until flash erase appears in the LCD and let go.

If it's a 5620 hold the button on the left down until all four 9s appear on the LCD (I learned that tonight)

Good luck.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
martinw01908 said:
7000. Had better not flash it. If it was mine I wouild have bought it in 'virgin' state and put images on it myself and learned bit by bit. But as I say... its a mates, and the shop should have sorted it. Funny how the thing was corrupted after the sky box was plugged in on install, dealer took it away to be reflashed and now how the dish moves to 43W regardless of which sat one was last watching!

Out of interest, which image do you use BGona_Stick? Whats a decent one?

I like Gemini 1.05, and still like the Black Tiger V3 (bit old now, but on it's own is rock solid). Also use Zeus, but have them all on a USB stick, so flashing now only an issue when a new DMM image comes out.

You could go that route, but I think there are issues with RU Dream images and USB. More reason to dump it. You'd also need to install something like Flash Wizard Pro.

Get your m8's consent and just do it. The Dealer is having a giraffe. We'll sort you out. We should have been your first port of call, not your last!

:D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
martinw01908 said:
7000. Had better not flash it.

Flashing it will only remove the settings not the image which will still be loaded and allow you to start putting the settings back.

The image is old now and you need a new one - as BG has said forget the dealer if your mate didn't trust you he wouldn't have given you the box.

Did it work when it came back after the dealer put the new image on it?

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
BGonaSTICK said:
I like Gemini 1.05, and still like the Black Tiger V3 (bit old now, but on it's own is rock solid). Also use Zeus, but have them all on a USB stick, so flashing now only an issue when a new DMM image comes out.

You could go that route, but I think there are issues with RU Dream images and USB. More reason to dump it. You'd also need to install something like Flash Wizard Pro.

Get your m8's consent and just do it. The Dealer is having a giraffe. We'll sort you out. We should have been your first port of call, not your last!

:D

OK thanks! I will have a word with him and see what he says. He'll probably want to take it back to the dealer to give them one last chance to sort it out. The Dreambox is a fiddlers dream. But for my friend, I think he should have bought something more simple to work with. I think he just wanted to plug it in and switch it on. But lets see, I might manage to get him to dump the image and start using a USB stick. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Good man. Get back here if you need to. We got nothin' else to do!

Your image if definitely knacked, and it isn't anything to do with the Digibox.

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
gameboy said:
Flashing it will only remove the settings not the image which will still be loaded and allow you to start putting the settings back.

The image is old now and you need a new one - as BG has said forget the dealer if your mate didn't trust you he wouldn't have given you the box.

Did it work when it came back after the dealer put the new image on it?

Well I didn't see what the box was doing when it was originally installed, but I heard it was 'dead', no channels, not booting I think. When they brought it back to his house re-flashed with a new image (a week later I might add) it worked but with the current problems I am describing above. Not sure if they swapped the box or just reloaded it. How often do you guys load new images on? Everytime there is a EMU change? Or can the EMUs be added/updated independently without the need to redo the image?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The latter.

Should add that some of the images can be updated over the Internet, just by pressing a couple of buttons on the remote. No, really!

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
BGonaSTICK said:
The latter.

Should add that some of the images can be updated over the Internet, just by pressing a couple of buttons on the remote. No, really!

Hello chaps! UPDATE

Well we returned to the shop and the guy said, oh that old Ru_dream image is shite, thats why its not working. You want Gemini he said. So because my mate was so desperate to get it working he paid he another £20 for the image to be put on!:eek:

So I have it here for the weekend. I have copied over the all the keys and keylist files or the newcamd... and so far so good for viewing stuff on 13 and 19E. Only problem now is that I can't get the dish to goto 1West. I used the sat find option and put in the longitude and latitude, is this the best way or should I do it manually?

If I do try to do it manually, for some reason it only lets me look at one transponder frequency on 1west to check for a 'lock', and I don't think theres anything on that transponder anyway so not a lot of use. Can't see how to bring anymore transponders up. At first I thought maybe I should edit the transponder list but no.... they are all already there so I don't get it!

Any suggestions? I was reading that some images are rubbish for moving the motor, is the gemini one of them?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
martinw01908 said:
Hello chaps! UPDATE

Well we returned to the shop and the guy said, oh that old Ru_dream image is shite, thats why its not working. You want Gemini he said. So because my mate was so desperate to get it working he paid he another £20 for the image to be put on!:eek:

So I have it here for the weekend. I have copied over the all the keys and keylist files or the newcamd... and so far so good for viewing stuff on 13 and 19E. Only problem now is that I can't get the dish to goto 1West. I used the sat find option and put in the longitude and latitude, is this the best way or should I do it manually?

If I do try to do it manually, for some reason it only lets me look at one transponder frequency on 1west to check for a 'lock', and I don't think theres anything on that transponder anyway so not a lot of use. Can't see how to bring anymore transponders up. At first I thought maybe I should edit the transponder list but no.... they are all already there so I don't get it!

Any suggestions? I was reading that some images are rubbish for moving the motor, is the gemini one of them?

Robbin Bast**d. I have to add. Sorry Could you name the daler after all you paid £30 in the 1st place for the latest image.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
martinw01908 said:
he paid he another £20 for the image to be put on!

Why not come here and get the information Free? - your mate has spend £50 for information that is available here.

Please don't let him waste any more money!

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi All,

Dealers don't like Dreamboxes. I went to a fairly local dealer when I decided to buy one as he advertised that he sold them. I phoned first and he assured me he had all receivers he advertised in stock. When I got there he did not have the Dreambox! Chatting with him he said he could order one for me but they did not normally like to sell the Dreambox. Reading between the lines of what he then said, it was because they could not make enough money in 'after sales' - cams - cards etc.
BUT the dealer above seems to have got it cracked!!
Goodness knows what mine would have cost me by now based on those rates!!!

By the way, I bought mine on the net, not at my local dealer. His attitude lost him the sale of the box.

73 & happy dreaming

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Oops! we're not answering martins question. I've only got a 2 input DiSEqC switch. Anyone with a motor got any help for martin please!

73 & good luck.

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East Midlands
td03-5 said:
Oops! we're not answering martins question. I've only got a 2 input DiSEqC switch. Anyone with a motor got any help for martin please!

73 & good luck.

Another update. I've been fiddling with it some more, manually setting up dish positions. That didn't work so I deleted the settings and started again. Don't know how I did it but it works on 1W now but somehow in the process it has lost the sat list of stored channels of almost all the satellites. I am going to try reloading the sat.xml file and see what happens. keep u up to date...well its all experience isn't it. Also while I have the box, is it an idea to load in any extra other cams for him? I have newcamd / beta at the moment?

To moderator, would it be ok to name the dealer?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
martinw01908 said:
Also while I have the box, is it an idea to load in any extra other cams for him? I have newcamd / beta at the moment?

Newcamd will give you everything that the other CAMs can open, at the moment, so unless you want to experiment or fill up your /var directory it should be all you need.