help with monoblock alignment - please!

John U

Reaction score
After moving from a 2 dish analogue setup to Sky Digital a few years ago, I have now got the bug to regain some of the entertainment I used to get browsing the sky and have acquired a Hyundai HSS 1000IR digital receiver, with built in IRDETO CAS, a monoblock LNB which I have fitted to my old 95 x 90 cm Lenson Heath solid dish and am now ready to install on Astra 19.2 and Hotbird.

Presumably the live LNB is selected through the DisEqC setting on the receiver, so that being the case which satellite should I line up to and how is this achieved? I live in the Oxford area and have an in-line cheapy meter and a functional sky mini-dish as a guide and fond memories of wet tea towels setting up my old analogue system.

Can anyone advise me on how to get started, or point me to an idiots guide for monoblock setup please.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will normally be looking at Hotbird as the main focus John U, so if you line up on that bird, you should be pretty much correct for Astra 19.2. In the LNb setup menu, you should be able to allocate a DiseqC letter, A, B, C, or D to each satellite, A being the Hotbird satellite.

Easy way to check that you are focussing the correct LNB, put your hand or a wet cloth over the right hand LNB as you look from behind the LNB toward the dish, if the signal stops, then you are lined up properly and it will merely be a case of twisting the monobloc in the bracket to achieve a signal on 19.2.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The menus on the Hyundai can be confusing, especially with set up of the outdoor components

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
I would expect your receiver to have a facility to show signal strength for each channel. You can use this as some form of fine tuning once you have the basics in place.

On my technomate it has a strength indicator in use when scanning for channels which is also a good indicator.

Further North than you with an 80cm mesh dish I get around 90% on the strength scale for both Hotbird and Astra. RolfW's comment on twisting the LNB is relevant as the Astra satellite is lower in the sky and the Astra feed should therefore be slightly higher than the anchored Hotbird one.

John U

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful.

I found a window in the weather this weekend and got on with the job. I now have 75% level and 98% quality signals on both sats and seem to be able to receive all the FTA channels without problem.

Any point in fine tuning the MTI monoblock mounting to achieve a higher signal level (the Hyundai manual says anything over 30% is ok), or is it a case of if it works don't fix it?

Regards

John

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a perfectly acceptable signal level and very good quality reading, stick with what you have. :)

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
You will normally be looking at Hotbird as the main focus John U, so if you line up on that bird, you should be pretty much correct for Astra 19.2. In the LNb setup menu, you should be able to allocate a DiseqC letter, A, B, C, or D to each satellite, A being the Hotbird satellite.

Easy way to check that you are focussing the correct LNB, put your hand or a wet cloth over the right hand LNB as you look from behind the LNB toward the dish, if the signal stops, then you are lined up properly and it will merely be a case of twisting the monobloc in the bracket to achieve a signal on 19.2.

Hi Rolf, could you please tell me which LNB goes through the bracket. Is it the Hotbird or the Astra one?
many thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Bratwurzt, normally the one in the bracket would be the Hotbird one, with the Astra offset to the West of the LNB (or right from behind the dish).

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Wow that was quick, finally putting it up tomorrow, thanks for your help
...by the way, I bet your pigs would make lovely sausages :p

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yes but being aerial pigs, they may be difficult to catch. :)

Also never stand underneath them after they've been feeding. :D