• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help with my new setup please?

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#1
Hi, im new here and to world of motorized systems.

I Have a Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor.

I have set everything up, and can pick up 19.2e, 28.2e and something up at 50something west.

my problem is this, i dont know how to set the motor to 0 degrees.

I have a compass, and can find south, my declenation is aparently 7.2 degrees, but i dont know what this means or what effect this has on where my dish and motor should be.

can anyone explain to me what exactly what it is i need to do to find this sacred 0 degrees? :)

thanks!

Dinger
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#2
Are the sat positions stored or you've found them by moving the dish by hand?

1.0W is close to south so try to find that and adjust accordingly ie 1 degree east and that will be south.
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#3
the positions are stored in the box and i have been told that south for my location is 5 or 8dergrees west.

Dinger :)
 

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Messages
148
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
#4
The Technomate software has an option under motorised settings to drive the motor to zero degrees. Once you get a lock onto a satellite you should be able to use usals to find the rest.

The moteck motor has a button on the unit to drive the motor so use this to get it back to 0 degrees

My guide may help you out if you haven't read it already.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=41166
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#5
So if you want it set up correctly, try to tune into 1.0W and then mark it on your motor/ bracket.
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#6
But drive to zero isn't necessarily "drive to south" ;)
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#7
mhku said:
But drive to zero isn't necessarily "drive to south" ;)
thats my point!

:-lan2

i think its goint to be easier to phone someone and get them to fix it.

Dinger :)
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#8
Dinger, try this:

1. Use the goto zero.
2. Now move the dish 1 degree west (using the motor).
3. Manually find 1.0W (1w has a channel showing a big 1W).
4. Zero is now set at zero degrees.
5. Store each sat position as you find them.

Does that make sense?
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#9
mhku said:
Dinger, try this:

1. Use the goto zero.
2. Now move the dish 1 degree west (using the motor).
3. Manually find 1.0W (1w has a channel showing a big 1W).
4. Zero is now set at zero degrees.
5. Store each sat position as you find them.

Does that make sense?
yes that makes perfect sense, but, 1west isnt 0 for me, i have been told that based on my latitude (Lat: 51:40:39N (51.6775) Lon: 4:54:47W (-4.9129))
5degrees west or 8 degrees west is where i need to be (apparently im 7.2 degrees), what channels are on these sats that are not on any others so that i know when i have found the right sat?

Thanks for you post, it has been very helpful, and nearly what i needed, except that 1west isnt 0 for me.

Dinger :)
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#10
It doesn't matter- it's relative from zero. So if you set the motor to 1.0W and then manually move it until you fnd it and store it, you will be able to find all the other sats fine. This is exatly how I did mine.

You will be setting it to true south (or is that magnetic?)... anyway, it will work.

1. Set to zero.
2. Adjust dish to 1W using the receiver to move the dish.
3. Move the dish bracket using a sat meter until you get the strongest signal. Also adjust elevation to fine tune it.
4. Tune it in to 1W (FTA channels). Look for the 1W channel to confirm it is 1W.
5. Now when you hit "goto zero" it will be zero for your location.

Give it a try! The sat positions are relative so you have to find one and 1W is the closest to zero so elevation etc will be correct for the arc as the dish moves east/ west.
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#11
mhku said:
It doesn't matter- it's relative from zero. So if you set the motor to 1.0W and then manually move it until you fnd it and store it, you will be able to find all the other sats fine. This is exatly how I did mine.

You will be setting it to true south (or is that magnetic?)... anyway, it will work.

1. Set to zero.
2. Adjust dish to 1W using the receiver to move the dish.
3. Move the dish bracket using a sat meter until you get the strongest signal. Also adjust elevation to fine tune it.
4. Tune it in to 1W (FTA channels). Look for the 1W channel to confirm it is 1W.
5. Now when you hit "goto zero" it will be zero for your location.

Give it a try! The sat positions are relative so you have to find one and 1W is the closest to zero so elevation etc will be correct for the arc as the dish moves east/ west.
Thanks for that, i have followed your instructions and am fine tuning my dish elevation to try and find the best sig strength and quality, as what i have found is erratic strength and quality at the moment.

I will update you later with my progress :)

Dinger :)
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#12
The advantage of doing 1W is that your elevation will be highest- have you got or calculated your angle of elevation:

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2154

(one angle on the dish and one on the motor)

Adjust the left/ right position until max signal strength is achieved and then adjust the dish elevation (if needed).
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#13
mhku said:
The advantage of doing 1W is that your elevation will be highest- have you got or calculated your angle of elevation:

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2154
yes, I have calculated the angle, in my motor book the declination angle is 7.4 (7.385 in the link you gave) my book has obviously been updated, and includes a number for "dish bracket angle" and for me its 22.6
mhku said:
(one angle on the dish and one on the motor)

Adjust the left/ right position until max signal strength is achieved and then adjust the dish elevation (if needed).
the problem is, i cant seem to get enough signal strength, its all very erratic.

I have tweaked the dish and now have 40% strength for hotbird at 13e so thats an improvment..

I will keep playing..

Dinger :)
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,653
Likes
1,272
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
#14
This is getting confusing and there is some incorrect information circulating.

If your longitude is close to 5W, then 5W will be the highest satellite on your arc, you due South reference and hence the satellite to set up on. Doing anything other than this makes life more difficult.

Because this is a UK forum, many members are situated at longitudes very close to 1W, therefor, many threads mention this satellite as being the one to set up on, this is of course, not always the case it has to be the nearest satellite to your actual longitude. :)
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,393
Likes
8,114
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#15
Dinger is in Pembrokeshire at about 7deg West according to the info he supplied me with earlier in the week- which is where the confusion is coming from I think. Ive told him to try and align his "south" onto 5W or 8W rather than the more "normal" 1W.
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#16
Analoguesat said:
Dinger is in Pembrokeshire at about 7deg West according to the info he supplied me with earlier in the week- which is where the confusion is coming from I think. Ive told him to try and align his "south" onto 5W or 8W rather than the more "normal" 1W.
ah! hello anologuesat, i have just found a sat at 7w called nilesat101/102
shall i try to set this one to 0 and see where that gets me?

Dinger :)
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,393
Likes
8,114
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#17
You are very lucky to get Nilesat - the strength levels in the uk arent very good, which is why I hadnt recommended that one. :D As its just about at your longitude its absolutely ideal for you.
 

Dinger

Regular Member
Messages
25
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500cl+, with an 80cm Dish and a Moteck SG-2100
H to H motor
#18
its listed in my box's software, and my sig strength is about 25% Quality is 15%

is it worth trying to set up on this one? or should i try 8w (its closer to 7 than 5w is)

Cheers

Dinger :)
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,653
Likes
1,272
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
#19
Dinger said:
yes that makes perfect sense, but, 1west isnt 0 for me, i have been told that based on my latitude (Lat: 51:40:39N (51.6775) Lon: 4:54:47W (-4.9129))
5degrees west or 8 degrees west is where i need to be (apparently im 7.2 degrees), what channels are on these sats that are not on any others so that i know when i have found the right sat?

Thanks for you post, it has been very helpful, and nearly what i needed, except that 1west isnt 0 for me.

Dinger :)
LOL, thanks Analoguesat, had looked at this post and assumed that it was 5W, so now I'm confusing matters. :)
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,393
Likes
8,114
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#20
We need to get this longitude sorted out. According to the info I can find St Davids in Pembrokeshire is at around 5 degs West. If you are near there, then you need your south on Atlantic Bird 3. 5W