Help with Samsung dsr 9500A and Astra 2

uksathees

Reaction score
Hi all

i just had a digibox fitted, Model: Samsung DSR 9500A EM VIA and a 80cm Tridax dish.

the problem is, i cant recieve any channles like bbc channels or the itv or channel 4 or 5. even though i am able to pick up about 18 channels from astra 2, these are all different languages.

i heard that bbc and other channels i listed above come from astra 2 D, i dont know the difference between them.

the other think i had read in this form, is that all these channels i need are FTA, so do i need a FTA card if i dont have a FTA reciever? The digibox i bought had different version of the same model, ie FTA, VIA CI, EMU VIA.

oh and i live in uk, south west london to be exact. i did read the astra website and they said, all i need is a 50cm dish, i have met that requirment since i do have a bigger size dish. so i hope there is nothink wrong with my dish size.

some one please help.:)

thanks

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You should get the BBC channels (if the dish is set up correctly) as they are FTA (free-to-air) the ITV channels are FTV (free-to-view) and you need a card for that and a Sky reciever.

At 28.2 deg East the satellite are all in the same position in the sky (Eurobird, Astra 2A, Astra 2B and Astra 2D) - if you receive one you sould receive them all (if you are within the area of the signal and it is FTA).

Can you do an auto scan of this position as it may be that the frequencies need updating. You can add them in manually also.

You should get the BBC free, do the above - if you can't come back and I will try and help.

Frequencies here...

h**p://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

uksathees

Reaction score
gameboy said:
You should get the BBC channels (if the dish is set up correctly) as they are FTA (free-to-air) the ITV channels are FTV (free-to-view) and you need a card for that and a Sky reciever.

At 28.2 deg East the satellite are all in the same position in the sky (Eurobird, Astra 2A, Astra 2B and Astra 2D) - if you receive one you sould receive them all (if you are within the area of the signal and it is FTA).

Can you do an auto scan of this position as it may be that the frequencies need updating. You can add them in manually also.

You should get the BBC free, do the above - if you can't come back and I will try and help.

Frequencies here...

h**p://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

hi, thank you for your reply.

yea its wired it should recieve FTA challes but for some reason it wont pick it up. i dont have different options for Astra 2 A, B or D. my digi box just says, Astra 1, Astra 2.

also there is options called: Load TR, which i think mean the transponders. some of the frequencys are different ie, in the Astra 2 list, there are only 48 TR's on my digibox. but the list says there are up to 56 transponders.

i dont know how to add these new transponders.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
uksathees

It's confusing to call the receiver a digibox as this name is ONLY for the receivers supplied by $ly. I suggest that you cal it a reciver or digital box or something like that.

A true digibox has the correct built-in Videoguard CAM to receive (with an FTV card) ITV, C$ and Five. This is the ONLY way to get these channels there is no separate CAM available to fit other receivers.

Having said all that, all the BBC channels should be easily receivable on your set-up. Can't help any more as I don't know anything about the Samsung.

PaulR

uksathees

Reaction score
PaulR said:
uksathees

It's confusing to call the receiver a digibox as this name is ONLY for the receivers supplied by $ly. I suggest that you cal it a reciver or digital box or something like that.

A true digibox has the correct built-in Videoguard CAM to receive (with an FTV card) ITV, C$ and Five. This is the ONLY way to get these channels there is no separate CAM available to fit other receivers.

Having said all that, all the BBC channels should be easily receivable on your set-up. Can't help any more as I don't know anything about the Samsung.

PaulR

hehe i tohought digibox is shot for digital box. :) can any one help me to add or update the transponder values ie frequencies etc. i have option called "Load TR". on my sammy i have for Astra 2, 48 TR's each with its FEC, frequency etc etc settings. but when i looked at the astra 2d satellite its transponders are 41-56, assuming "load TR" means the transponders i only have up to 48 where as there as the astra 2 transponders go up to 56. not only that the frequencys of the transponders are aslo different, maby its outdated, how can i update them and add the new transponders on to my sammy box. lol now i wish i never bought this model of the box, there is no information about the spefic model i have on the net, even if do find it they are always some different language i dont understand.

one more think.

at present i recieve very good signal from Hotbird 1-5, Hotbird is at 13 and Astra 2 is on 28.2E, does this mean i have to chage the position of the dish?

anyone pls help. Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are picking the Hotbirds up, then yes your dish is pointing in the wrong direction. The main satellite clusters are locted in different parts of an imaginary arc. Due south is "0 degrees". The Hotbirds are 13 degrees east of south. The Astra 2's are 28 degrees east of south.

uksathees

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
If you are picking the Hotbirds up, then yes your dish is pointing in the wrong direction. The main satellite clusters are locted in different parts of an imaginary arc. Due south is "0 degrees". The Hotbirds are 13 degrees east of south. The Astra 2's are 28 degrees east of south.

Hi thank you for your kind reply. This means inorder to recieve Astra 2 i have increase the angle of evaluation so that it reaches out to rAsta 2?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
uksathees said:
This means inorder to recieve Astra 2 i have increase the angle of evaluation so that it reaches out to rAsta 2?

-nope, you have to rotate your dish 15.2degrees (13+15.2=28.2) to the east to get what the DSR9500 calls 'Astra 2', you will also get the channels your receiver calls 'Eurobird' (since the Eurobird is at 28.5 Degrees East, close enough to Astra 2's 28.2Deg E position)
-
CtS

uksathees

Reaction score
closetosoton said:
-nope, you have to rotate your dish 15.2degrees (13+15.2=28.2) to the east to get what the DSR9500 calls 'Astra 2', you will also get the channels your receiver calls 'Eurobird' (since the Eurobird is at 28.5 Degrees East, close enough to Astra 2's 28.2Deg E position)
-
CtS
Thank You. i think i have go with some motorised system, since there are some channels that i would like to get from Hotbird.

the motor i have in mind is Satcontrol SM3D12 with DiSEqC 1.2, which my box supports. please advice on the best solution. ohh and the cost of this motor is £50 is that too much or do i need to spend more to get a good motor.

Thanks

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
darkbox rev2007 Reciever + old pace sky box
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi if you still have the samsung system maybe we could compare notes as I have just bought the same receiver
cheers Brian