Help with setting up HotBird Channels

drweixu

Reaction score
Hello,
I followed the instruction blow to set up dish and receiver to get channels on Hotbird sat.
I pointed dish to the Satellite with Network ID 013e and Transport Stream 1450. Two grey stripes in Signal Stength and Signal Quality, the Signal Stength is over 80% and Signal Quality is at one thrid.

After setting the dish, I used "Add channel" to set four values 12.169, H, 27.5 and 3/4. However, I got No Channels window with "No channels found" message.

I use Grundig 200 receiver, model number 2.33 version number 4E0301, Operating System version is 1.2S4Bj, EPG software version is 3.0.11*.
There is no viewing card with receiver during the set up (I do not have viewing card with machine).

Could any onecan let me know did I do any thing wrong? Anysuggestion.

Connect the cable to the set top box and the LNB properly and then switch on the power of both TV and set-top-box. Operate on the remote controller (Services System Set-up Signal Test) to put the set-top-box to the signal testing mode.

Adjust the dish to the similar direction of the SKY digital dish slowly and smoothly, and observe the two grey stripes in Signal Stength and Signal Quality. If no signal level stripe at all, you should think of replace the LNB. When both stripes reach their peak length, you should be able to watch the SKY digital programme as using the original SKY dish (TV Guide à All Channels à BBC One).

Note down the direction of the dish. Change the SKY set top box to signal test mode again. If you are living in Manchester, turn the dish about 8 degrees westward or to the right if you facing the South and then fine adjust the dish till the signal reaching a peak level. If you are living in Southern England, the turning angle shall be larger. Please do not worry if the signal is not as strong as that from the ASTRA 28.2 East, and the quality stripe flashes or even disappears occasionally.

Operate on the remote controller (Services à System Set-up à ADD CHANNELS) to switch the set top box to Add Channels screen. Set the four settings to 12.169, H, 27.5 and 3/4 respectively, and then start Find Channel.

If your dish is pointing the "Hotbird", you should get list of TV channels and CCTV is among the names. Move the cursor to it and press the yellow button to make it ticked. Press the Select twice bring you back to main screen. Press the Service and then 6, you should see the selected channel list with CCTV in. Move cursor on it and press Select, the CCTV should show on your TV immediately.

If you are not satisfied with the picture quality, go bock to the step of fine adjusting the dish. To be honest, I do not think we have the change to make the picture quality on CCTV as good as that from the SKY Digital channels.

If a "No signal" error message is displayed, the dish must point to a wrong satellite. Repeat the last three steps till you finally "catch" the "Hotbird".

Hanson

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not so sure that you are on the correct satellite, what does it say in the transport stream box of the digibox?

You may find the manual tuning optiion better for setting up a satellite other than 28.2 East, but the digibox is not an ideal tool for anything other than Sky Digital.

drweixu

Reaction score
Hi Rolf, thanks for reply. In the transport stream box of the digibox it is 1450.

I did manual tuning as explained. My Grundig box seems not work, hance get no signal.

What kind of receiver do I need? I get my digbox on Ebay. Can I get one from there to receive hotbird channels?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are quite a few up there at the moment _http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZtrinityQ5fspiceQQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1 but you can buy a brand new patchable receiver for €100 or so direct from Germany.

drweixu

Reaction score
Hi, The link is pointed to Ebay and has nothing to do with setting channels to hotbird.

loftyj

Reaction score
I think you will find rolfw pointed you to E bay to look for somthing other than a Digibox.
Sky in there way of trapping people to there system made sure that the digibox works fine for any of there systems but is a sod to set up for any other satellite, that way you have to keep watching the rubbish they put out

drweixu

Reaction score
Hi, I did check the link but it is nothing to do with and satellite receiver. Does any one can point me a right direction either but a receiver ( ideally second hand) or do some thing with existing sky digbox.
The other things worry about me is if my dish is large enough. I am using a old dish with a new LBN. It is a round one about 50 diameter. Although, I have got about 85% strength and about 30-40% quality, I am still worry about if this is the reason I can get signal. Any comments?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it does seem to have gone wrong :) Just do a search for "digital satellite receiver" and it will bring up that list. Forget the digibox, it really is a waste of time for anything other than Sky. A 50cm dish is really too small for good reception on Hotbird in the UK (if that's where you live), a 70 or 80cm would be more suited.

wza

Reaction score
hi how can i open the closed channel?on hotbird
thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ wza. If you are referring to TPS channels, such as Multivision, you can't at the moment, but this question should not be posted in this thread as it is not relevant to the original question. Please start a new thread in the relevant section, or join a thread already discussing your question.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Yes it does seem to have gone wrong :) Just do a search for "digital satellite receiver" and it will bring up that list. Forget the digibox, it really is a waste of time for anything other than Sky. A 50cm dish is really too small for good reception on Hotbird in the UK (if that's where you live), a 70 or 80cm would be more suited.
When I originally followed it, it brough up details of a nice blind search receiver :D

I was that close to buying it at that price!

If you want to see it, search eBay for completed items from that seller.

drweixu

Reaction score
Rolf, Thanks for the information. I did search of "digital satellite receiver" one ebay. Not only Real digital satellite receiver come up but also some receiver marked Sky Digibox such as Panasonic TU-DSB30 Digital Satellite Receiver. Any idea if this one can receive channel from Hotbird too?

About Dish and LNB, at my location, as I described above, I have over 80% strength bar and over 35% quality bar tested by Grundig receiver. At this level, I have no problem to receive proper Sky channels. It is true, 70 cm or larger dish is suggested. Do I have any luck to use my current one?