mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I have a problem that my wired network can't "see" my wireless network, although the wireless network can see the wired. Both can access the Internet OK.

The wired network use a fixed IP range of 10.0.0.n and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

The wireless network use an IP range of 192.168.0.n and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 The router acts as a DHCP server.

The wireless router is connected to the wired router (ADSL router).

My laptop (192.168.0.3) can see my Dreambox and my PC (10.0.0.n) but I can't see my laptop from my PC (can't even ping it).

I tried setting the wireless router as 10.0.0.n IP range as well but it wouldn't accept a 255.255.255.0 subnet and a 255.0.0.0 subnet couldn't access the internet.

Any ideas? The answer would be even better :)

I think 6 hours is enough time wasted today... 'O'-red

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have to confess I do not understand why your 'wired network' is using a fixed IP in a range different to everything else. Whatever you have connecting behind your firewalled router should be be obtaining an IP address from your DHCP server or have a fixed IP address within the same range. What is the purpose of the 10.0.0.n address? is this required for a specific reason? or a specific piece of kit?
Whilst I am sure most are aware of the following

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets (local networks):
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Also, IP addresses in the range of 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255 are reserved for automatic private addressing.These IP's should not be used on the Internet.

I usually use 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 when assigning static IP addresses to computers on a small Local Area Networks (LANs). If a DHCP server is also on the LAN it's scope (range of IP addresses that it can assign to computers on the LAN set to obtain their IP addresses automatically) should be adjusted so it does not interfere with locally assigned static IP addresses. This is easily achievable from within the router menu.

I see no reason other than equipment limitations for having more than one range assigned within any LAN

STARLEX

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Feliz da Vida
My Location
Portugal
So, i has de same problem, can you explain me what i'll do?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I had the same problem. The secret in my case was not to let the computer look for the wireless signal straight away. INSTALL THE DISC that came with the router.

From that little installed icon at the bottom on your desktop page, you should then ask that if there are any network connections available. There may be more than one, if THE BLOKE NEXT DOOR has a wireless connection. Don't log onto his if he has no password. Yours should be there.

Click on that and then the ISP connects.

You should note that positioning the router is very important. Play around with its position until the signal comes stronger. You should pick up a good signal, but it has to be said, wireless signals do drop dramatically occasionally.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This thread isgoing back a bit, but decide which item of kit is going to be the dhcp server (allocates ip addresses) and disable dhcp on everything else. I use moy router as the dhcp server.

You might want to thing about static ip addresses (reserved leases) within your dhcp setting. Things that are a good idea to allocate reserved leases would be a dreambox, a network printer etc.

Onceyou have everything working make yourself a little text file up with the ip addresses and whats allocated where.

Even small home notworks can get very complicated very quickly. For example here I have

Netgear router
Dell desktop computer (my toy)
Dreambox 7020
Slingbox (just as a new toy to play with :D)
Samsung network colour laser
Acer laptop (wireless connection)
Compaq laptop (wireless)
no name desktop unit in spare bedroom (wireless - occasion use only)

Plenty of scope for ip conflict there!

Pick an ip range, and make sure everything is running in the same range - most folk use 192.168.x.x at home.