Help !

Reaction score
New to the forum becasue I need advice and this seems to be the place to get it.
I had been receiving Internet by Satellite through OPENSKY with a Dish and Manhattan receiver, however a couple of months ago we got Broadband (after a loooonnngg wait!) and so I now don't subscribe to OPENSKY any more, however I still have the hardward and I'd like to know if there is anything I can do with it ?
Can I realign the disc to Sky and get their progs, or any other satellite ? Do I need any other software to let me at least get reception of one (Its pointed at Eutelsat I think).
Just seems a waste to have a Satellite connected to my PC and not make use of it ??
I'd be grateful of any suggestions

ta

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What are the details of your receiver and dish size, wasn't aware that manhattan made a PC card receiver?

There is a lot out there, you can certainly receive all of the free to air channels on Astra 28.2E the BSkyB satellite, but there is an awful lot more if you want to be adventurous. :)

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what is the max speed for broadband on your tel exchange ?
Was the sat broadband faster and more expensive ?
Was it one way only ?

Many thanks.

p.s. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of broadband but I have a DACS line (which I think can be removed) and I've been told that my line is Max 512K.

Reaction score
I think I may have confused the issue !
I have a 1.2m dish wired into a Manhattan DVB Sat Box whic itself is connected to the PC by a USB cable.
Now I don't know if I need any other hardware but I know the old Opensky Software won't work because I aint subscribed to them any more, so I assume I'll need software as well as hardware to get anything on my PC ??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just a TV card should give you a picture (connection by S Video or RF), unless your video card has a video input. Which model Manhattan do you have?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Reaction score
Milkybarkid said:
Slightly off topic but what is the max speed for broadband on your tel exchange ?
Was the sat broadband faster and more expensive ?
Was it one way only ?

Many thanks.

p.s. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of broadband but I have a DACS line (which I think can be removed) and I've been told that my line is Max 512K.

The Sat Broadband was more expensive than my Broadband now is (your have to keep your usual ISP, £15 a month, plus the Sat subscription which was another £20, my PIPEX Broadband for 1Gb is £28 a month) Sat Broadband is only fast one way and although it was faster than Dial Up it isn't a patch on a preper BB setup IMHO. Speed for the Sat BB was a max of avout 200Kbps.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
russ_fae_fyvie said:
The Sat Broadband was more expensive than my Broadband now is (your have to keep your usual ISP, £15 a month, plus the Sat subscription which was another £20, my PIPEX Broadband for 1Gb is £28 a month) Sat Broadband is only fast one way and although it was faster than Dial Up it isn't a patch on a preper BB setup IMHO. Speed for the Sat BB was a max of avout 200Kbps.

Thanks for the info.