Help

G

goldie7662

I am new to both this site and satellite tv so please be patient.
I have sky dig set up at home. The box is a Sony. As I have been spending a lot of time at my parents, I decided to have a dish installed so I could use my box there. The signal strength and quality is fine and the signal is locked on, but it will not bring up the listings. The network says 0001 instead of 0002 and the Transponder says 042c instead of 07d4 or something like that !!!. The installer says there is nothing he can do it is about line of vision. So is that it?. The next door neighbour has sky no probs as do others in the area, I am little perplexed that there is not a solution.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Goldie,

Must confess that I haven't seen that particular problem before, normally they're either locked on the right transponder or not.

If it's a line of sight problem it should be fairly obvious, where the obstruction is. I presume that you've paid this installer to do the job and would expect him to do it properly, or at least tell you if the line of sight is questionable.

Have you taken your box back home and tried it there? It's possible your box may be looking for the wrong default transponder. If you go into Services, press 4, press 01select, then default transponder, check that it reads: 11.778, V, 27.5, 2/3. If the box is looking for the wrong transponder it will not download the corect information.

Rolf

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Feb-02 AT 04:03 PM (GMT)]Sounds to me like it may be looking at completely the wrong satellite.

Try adding some channels manually using Add Channels using the listing information at http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml

Try for instance adding the information for some of the free to view channels like some of the shopping channels.

If it can't find them, or finds something else instead, then it's pointing at the wrong satellite.

If it sucessfully finds them and you can view them, it will confirm it is looking at the correct satellite, then I don't know what to sugest.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
>Sounds to me like it may be looking at completely the wrong
>satellite.
>
Yes that's what I would have initially thought, but I've never had a Digibox showing a lock on the wrong satellite.....Curiouser and curiouser.

Rolf

G

goldie7662

I took the box back home and it worked absolutely fine. Took the box back to my parents when the installer came back. He also tried a digibox of his own (an old Grundig)It gave the same network and transponder readings but the signal was not quite as good as my Sony. He arranged to come back a different day and move the dish, this he did today but it still did not work. He says it is about a degree out and there is nothing he can do..I'm gutted. He then removed the dish and went.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What does the dish face out over, are there trees? If so the minidish can always be put on a short pole, I've installed a few at the back of the house looking over the roof. There are very few locations where it is totally impossible.

Rolf

G

goldie7662

A couple of trees but not a lot else. I think he should have tried to re-locate to the front of the house, but this would have ment using a lot of cable and it is a little akward to get to. As he had already quoted and agreed a price it may have been a pain in the a***e for him to do. I will try someone else and take on-board all the suggestions given here.
Thanks to everyone.
Goldie

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Why not try a self install. It's not as hard as it seems.

I found this handy website a while back. It describes how to self install a minidish, and the best part is you don't even need a seperate signal meter.

The article was written for people who take their digiboxes and minidishes on holiday in their caravan's but it is equally applicable to a fixed home installation.

There's nothing wrong with a long cable run, providing it's good quality propper satellite coax and routed without any kinks or sharp bends.

http://www.davesull.dabsol.co.uk/

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hmmm, not bad, but his insistence firstly that you have to pay £60+ for a satmeter and secondly that you'll get better results by doing it from the digibox screen is a bit dubious to say the least.

His methodology is good and correct for caravan installation (which is what he's predominantly describing) and he's obviously moved the dish a lot and got it down to a fine art, it also makes it a lot easier with a caravan type installation, because the TV will always be in sight.

For the standard remote installation it can be very difficult to get sight of a TV, particularly when at the top of a tall ladder or setting up a chimney mount (which may in the end be required on the aforementioned installation). I would certainly disagree with both his cost of a meter estimate and the effectivity of the same. Using the tilt then move method, one will achieve an excellent strength and quality reading using a satbeeper type meter circa £10 or swinging needle circa £25. Certainly it will be necessary to check by looking at the TV to ensure at first instance the the correct satellite has been found, but subsequent to that, a superb and rapid setup can be achieved using the meter only.

Rolf

PS Anybody want to hire a set of ladders :)