Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Search doesn't work for "HD" so...

Does the DM500s support HD Tv? If viewing the world cup (BBC) which is gonna be HD, will the DB support 720/ 1080 (I don't know if the BBC is 720 or 1080 lines) through the scart (set to component)? i.e. will the output be 720/ 1080 without an HDMI connection?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not as far as I know, I have been watching the HD promos on the PC monitor using VLC and Media Player classic via daftgrab courtesy of Da4tpunk though.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
HD promos on the web or HD promos on a sat channel?

Is the tuner in the DB limited in the nuber of lines it displays?

:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
HD satellite channels streamed from the DB to my PC, you will not get a direct output from the DB to a TV in HD, it isn't capable of it.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are you're saying the RJ45 can handle hi-def but the scart socket (even if set to component) can't (even if the DB is connected to a hi-def compatible display using a scart to component cable)?

Thanks again :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be the PC which is processing the datastream, not the Dreambox, it is purely being used as a conduit for the datastream, as far as I know the scart type connection, is not capable of HD.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I'll ask on another forum and get back to you...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think you need to, with the current dreambox operating software, it cannot process the HD data properly and probably does not have the processing power.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the scart was physically unable to deal with HD rather than the Dreambox itself. So the RJ45 passes the unencoded stream to the PC?

If I use my RJ45 to PC, can the PC then pass the processed stream out to my PJ (it has component and DVI connections)? I guess that I can- it should be no different than watching it on a computer screen. So if I have a dual output graphics card can I do it that way (dvi to dvi)?

Is there a limit on length of DVI cable?

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
You can watch european hdtv on a dreambox 7025 since it has a powerful enough processor, however it will not output at hdtv quality, it is limited by the scart socket.

BBC/SKY HD is in a different standard to normal hdtv and is not supported by dreamboxes at current so no the world cup will not work unless any european hdtv promo chan decide to air it too i duno.

As far as streaming to pc goes, yes it will totally work :). You can stream a hdtv channel to your pc even using a dm500 and just a 100mbit network cable to your pc without problems. Remember however, you will need a substantial cpu power todo this. However these days antyhing over a 1.4ghz with 512mb ram would cut it i suppose.

Make sure you have the correct filters and codecs installed to get optimal performance and quality.

Today i tested HDTV streaming from a dm500 to my toshiba centrino pentium M 1.73ghz laptop with 512mb ram, this worked fine. Remember clock speed isnt everything with a cpu, as the internal architecture of it and features can easily outweigh the clock speed, as all that is is the amount of electrical pulses if you like that it recieves per second. Thats why a 1.73ghz centrino laptop can perform faster then a 2.8ghz p4 ;)

Post your pc specs here and we will give an analysis :p

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Cheers Daftpunk.

I have thought of another problem though (for me). If the Dreambox can't process the mpeg4 there's no way for me to get the audio my my AV amp. So even if I could get the picture to a projector I still need to listen to it somehow. The PC has 2.8ghz and 1GB ram. But I've not even managed to get VLC to play a dvd (following the "how to stream a dvd to your Dreambox using VLC") so I'm probably doomed...:-doh! Or are there any other options?

And it was primarily for the world cup. Is there more than one HD broadcast format?

Thanks for your reply :)

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
My Location
England
Put my tool DaftGrab on your pc, goto a hdtv channel on your web interface, click on the vpid button and save it to a .pls or whatever then load it into daftgrab, and you will have hdtv on pc with full audio :)

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
The cheapest ticket to the HD world is the SkyStar II card. I cannot get the same quality from DBox over LAN, perhaps vlc is to blame. With my P4 2.4GHz, Radeon 9800 and Cyberlink PowerDVD filter I can play back HDTV with 60% CPU load directly from SSII.
DBox playback is far from smooth showing 100% CPU on the same channel. Plus nowadays you can get graphics cards with HD output.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
D4ftpunk said:
You can watch european hdtv on a dreambox 7025 since it has a powerful enough processor, however it will not output at hdtv quality, it is limited by the scart socket.

Didn't realise that. :)

D4ftpunk said:
BBC/SKY HD is in a different standard to normal hdtv and is not supported by dreamboxes at current so no the world cup will not work unless any european hdtv promo chan decide to air it too i duno.

Thought that the BBC were going to transmit the World Cup in DVB-S as per this post though. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are there any HD graphics cards that separate the audio from the video channel?

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
My Location
England
I thought that bbc hdtv and sky hdtv was dvb-s2 not dvb-s1 in which european hdtv channels use. ?

rolfw said:
Didn't realise that. :)

Thought that the BBC were going to transmit the World Cup in DVB-S as per this post though. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but the BBC will launch with DVB-S, as per the post I link to, possibly to expand the number of people capable of receiving it, there will be a very limited number of people with the S2 receivers by that time. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
/ / forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=361111

format will change?

Can't find anything on BBC website.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The thread you are pointing to on the other forum has exactly the same Email as the post I have linked to on this forum . :-bash

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Doh! I'll get my jacket... I was doing 2 others things at the same time and wasn't paying attention :-doh!