hi everyone.. help with dish mounting please

theraven

Reaction score
i,ve attached a pic on how i plan to set up my pole through the roof,
can anybody tell me if this is o.k? if not some help would be greatly appreciated
great site!!!!
many thx
theraven

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Looks fine

Make sure you use proper T/K items and not the usual aerial brackets

How large is the dish going to be ?
What size post ?

theraven

Reaction score
hi mate
thx for reply.. the dish will be 90cm, have you got an idea what these tk brackets look like? or a site with them on? as they have got to be able to bolt straight on timber,as for pole size
what would you recommend the system will be motorised...
many thx
raven

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Proper motorised or DiSEqC ?

I cannot recommend anything really as the receivers are each to their own. If I was a dealer I would have no trouble recommending what makes me the most money.

I would however plumb for a decent actuator system on a polarmount, as you can then widen the choice of receiver to either full four wire or a DiSEqC unit with remote controller interface.

Additionally the fact that the system is going to be on a roof suggests anything that goes wrong outside in the future is likely to be tricky to replace, so a decent 2" motor drive and polarmount will last far longer, especially if greased up before install and plastic covers put in all the right places.

Are you in a high wind area ?

theraven

Reaction score
hi m8
gonna have a diseqc system, it,s not really windy here so thats a factor i,ve taken into consideration,
raven

G

GotMyBusPass

@ theraven

I saw a similar set up many moons ago when I lived in London.
The dish was a 90cm with a motor. The mounting pole was a standard 2inch galvanized scaffold pole. The pole went down to and was fixed to the horizontal roof/ceiling rafter. The two horizontal strengtheners were taken over to, and fixed to, the next diagonal roof truss.
It would be interesting to know how you are going to seal where the pole goes through the roofing tiles.

cheers/GMBP

theraven

Reaction score
hi mate
i gonna use a stench pipe cover they fit tight around the pole and then seal it with black rubber mastic..
theraven

G

GotMyBusPass

@ theraven

Thanks for that. I am thinking of moving my pole from the edge of the conservatory to the side of the bungalow. It will need to go through the last row of roof tiles & I was wondering how to do it. Any web sites that I can look at???
cheers/GMBP

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you not use a standoff bracket GMBP?

G

GotMyBusPass

@ rolfw

No M8 right by the door to the conservatory, so bolting straight to the wall and up through the overhang of the roof tiles. I need the existing pole for a clothes line, small rear garden, put up a shed and apple tree in garden. I tried it near the corner, had to use 24inch T&K (2sets) but noticed pointing between bricks was cracking (98cm dish)