curious

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
Friends,

Looks like we will soon have HD TV channels. While the new entrants like Big TV are getting ready to launch their service and talking about providing HD TV channels, DishTV has annonced that its going to launch its MPEG4 based HD platform around Diwali. The DishTV is also in talks with 2- 3 channels to and get into commercial arrangements for High Definition content. Some questions remain unanswered though, are they going to replace STBs of all existing customers? At what cost to the customers? Pricing for the HD channels? Lets hope for the best and get ready with HD capable TVs :)

Dish TV to launch HD technology platform by year-end

MUMBAI: Direct-to-home (DTH) service provider Dish TV is all set to launch high definition (HD) platform by the end of this year.

The company is planning to introduce the latest Motion Picture Expert Group 4 (MPEG) technology enabled set-top boxes (STBs) along with the HD platform for broadcasting. It is also holding talks with TV channels for production of HD content, reports PTI.

Dish TV managing director Jawahar Goel said, "We will launch HD platform along with MPEG 4 coming Diwali for the subscribers. We are also talking to a 2-3 TV channels and get into commercial arrangements for High Definition content."

High definition content, whether images or videos, have greater resolution than traditional standard resolution. The images and pictures appear more clear and sharp and sound quality is also enhanced.

Existing DTH players Tata Sky and Bharti Telemedia, which are soon expected to announce their entry into the domain, are also equipped to provide HD platforms to its audiences.

Source: _http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k8/may/may224.php

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
curious said:
Some questions remain unanswered though, are they going to replace STBs of all existing customers? At what cost to the customers? Pricing for the HD channels? Lets hope for the best and get ready with HD capable TVs :)

I can just about guarantee the boxes will be extra cost items to anyone wanting the HD channels. And if its anything like the European markets there will be an extra subscription charge for the HD content as well!

kreacher

Waiting for HD
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky - Humax STB
My Location
India
^ I wonder if they have enough bandwidth to provide HD channels, anyway I just hope they launch for real this time. The prices will be very high initially but they will come down as competition increases.

curious

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
kreacher said:
^ I wonder if they have enough bandwidth to provide HD channels.

DishTV is getting ready to launch its own satellite by June end. The new satellite will provide 14 additional KU transponders. With the new satellite DishTV will have enough bandwidth for HD channels. BTW, the new satellite would also enable DishTV to provide broadband internet service to its subscribers.

Source: _http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?bKeyFlag=IN&autono=37605

srei

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
coship receiver 2000,Dreambox 500;2 ku3cband dishes of 2,4,6&8feet,amd 64 pc with 1GB ram usb tv tuner card
My Location
north west india
The advancement in technology is good,it will,however,take time.
The so called HD channels will be few,like old friends,the old system
will continue.:cool:

RICH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
COMPUTER DUAL CORE TV TUNER
My Location
PUNE INDIA
hi curious,
i have heard that sun dth has mpeg 4 format stbs. can it will be used to watch free to channels of mpeg 2 nature. one thing why does the size of dish matters.it is the lnb that catches the signal.

Dushie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S,
Ahtlon 64 machine
My Location
India
the mpeg 4 stb's are backward compatible to watch mpeg 2, both big TV and sun TV stb are backward compatible, HD tuner boxes will be pretty expensive and by the time they are launched, our existing boxes wont be worth a penny, though they may have trade in schemes. already dish TV is giving free stb with subscription and tata stb is costing under Rs 1500

curious

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
RICH said:
hi curious,
i have heard that sun dth has mpeg 4 format stbs. can it will be used to watch free to channels of mpeg 2 nature. one thing why does the size of dish matters.it is the lnb that catches the signal.

RICH,

The first part of your question regarding backward compatibility has already been answered by Dushie.

On the size of the dish part, it's important as the dish reflector plays a very important role of focusing electromagnetic waves, received from satellite, on the LNB. Bigger the size of the reflector, higher the strength of electromagnetic waves it reflects on to the LNB. So we need a bigger dish to receive weaker satellite signals (e.g. out of satellite footprint reception).

If you have further questions on the size of the dish, please start a new thread or post in appropriate thread as it is off topic for this thread. :)

RICH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
COMPUTER DUAL CORE TV TUNER
My Location
PUNE INDIA
thanks curious,